Thoughts on this cow (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

i agree that depth and rear muscling are her biggest flaws and should be easily improved with a good bull.

KNERSIE":1xpdtbm8 said:
I'll be the contrarian again...

She is proving to be a usefull commercial cow for producing terminal calves. I wouldn't consider her for producing replacements and I think her future calves will benefit from more bull power.

Although I know she has flaws, and she isnt anything to look at I would keep a heifer from her if she ever gave me one. The reason being she earns her keep and I think a daughter would also but You just dont know till then.

More bull power (yes I agree) but while am still trying to put a good herd together I will not be getting a contintal bull anytime soon. While A-I is an option I dont think I will go that route.JHH

More bull power (yes I agree) but while am still trying to put a good herd together I will not be getting a contintal bull anytime soon. While A-I is an option I dont think I will go that route.JHH

With more bull power I didn't neccesarily mean a continental bull, a stronger hereford bull will also do wonders, especially one that can add depth and capacity and thickness and length of muscle.

I agree that if you have a bull anyway I wouldn't AI commercial cows either. For me that is the ideal way to test my own young bulls.

KNERSIE":1xvlr9vh said:
I'll be the contrarian again...

She is proving to be a usefull commercial cow for producing terminal calves. I wouldn't consider her for producing replacements and I think her future calves will benefit from more bull power.

I guess when I said I liked her I was assuming that this was a terminal herd, not one producing replacements/breeders

i still like her and i would give her a home.
for my part of the world i'd breed her to a good brangus bull and hope for a heifer.

Although I know she has flaws, and she isnt anything to look at I would keep a heifer from her if she ever gave me one. The reason being she earns her keep and I think a daughter would also but You just dont know till then.
In spite of the fact that most breeders realize that some of their producers are not what they should or COULD be, they persist in playing the "Golly-Whiz-maybe-she-will-turn-out-better-than-I-KNOW-darned-good-and-well-that-she-WON'T" - game! Why we insist on being "Barn Blind" to the faults, inconsistencies, and 'NON PROFIT'-making characteristics in our breeding herds just because it is "Good Ol' Molly (or Betsy, or Bossy, or because the wife raised her on a bottle because of - - whatever), and continue to 'make excuses' - - 'JUST BECAUSE' maybe a 'better' bull would help make a replacement heifer that you have to keep for THREE L-O-O-N-G YEARS before reality sets in and you realize that - "No, the 'better bull' (whatever that may turn out to be) didn't magically wipe out the lack of muscle, the shallow body, the funnel butt, and the lack of profit that I may have been able to achieve by selling this cow four years ago, adding a little more $$$ as a 'long-term-investment' to the return that I got from Ol' Molly, and NOW (a few years later), I have a BETTER NEW Ol' Molly, a better replacement heifer, and two other calves that I could have sold, or kept - as the case might be, and not have to continue to lie to myself and make excuses for a lack of quality that Ol' Molly was genetically engineered to produce - whatever my 'Pie-In-The-Sky' dreams might have led me to believe!

This particular white-faced cow is not as non-productive as many others around the country are, but she certainly could be a MUCH more profitable producer than she is presently, whatever your excuses for her may be, and being 'Barn Blind' is not a profitable characteristic for ANY BEEF producer to possess - particularly in these days of high land values, high pasture costs, and high FEED costs.

There are plenty of terrific replacement heifers on the market TODAY (February 2, 2009) - if you will take the bit in your teeth and will just jump in and get your feet wet!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1sgnry4y said:
This particular white-faced cow is not as non-productive as many others around the country are, but she certainly could be a MUCH more profitable producer than she is presently, whatever your excuses for her may be, and being 'Barn Blind' is not a profitable characteristic for ANY BEEF producer to possess - particularly in these days of high land values, high pasture costs, and high FEED costs.

There are plenty of terrific replacement heifers on the market TODAY (February 2, 2009) - if you will take the bit in your teeth and will just jump in and get your feet wet!

DOC HARRIS

Let's see! JHH said she breeds back regularly and she's raised a decent looking calf that was about 60% of her own weight at 6 months of age, even though she doesn't appear to be helped all that much by the bull she was bred to.

Call me "barn-blind" if you want, but I see "moneymaker" when I look at her.

And I'd certainly give any heifers she had at least a chance at staying around, assuming they were by a bull whose daughters I would want to keep. I'm not at all sure many of those replacement heifers for sale "on the market" will outperform them.

George

JHH":3uw47utc said:
Almost forgot she weighed 907 lbs at weaning time calf weighed 598 at 6 months old. She is small framed but she stays. She has never given me a heifer yet. I am waiting and hoping for this year.

598 / 907 = 65.93% @ 180 days or 3.322 pounds per day

@ 205 days, or and extra 25 days @ 3.322 = 83.05 more pounds

598 + 83 = 681

681 / 907 = 75%

You have a cow weaning a calf which projects to 75% of her weight @ 205 days?

DOC HARRIS":3l4idi8j said:
In spite of the fact that most breeders realize that some of their producers are not what they should or COULD be, they persist in playing the "Golly-Whiz-maybe-she-will-turn-out-better-than-I-KNOW-darned-good-and-well-that-she-WON'T" - game! Why we insist on being "Barn Blind" to the faults, inconsistencies, and 'NON PROFIT'-making characteristics in our breeding herds just because it is "Good Ol' Molly (or Betsy, or Bossy, or because the wife raised her on a bottle because of - - whatever), and continue to 'make excuses' - - 'JUST BECAUSE' maybe a 'better' bull would help make a replacement heifer that you have to keep for THREE L-O-O-N-G YEARS before reality sets in and you realize that - "No, the 'better bull' (whatever that may turn out to be) didn't magically wipe out the lack of muscle, the shallow body, the funnel butt, and the lack of profit that I may have been able to achieve by selling this cow four years ago, adding a little more $$$ as a 'long-term-investment' to the return that I got from Ol' Molly, and NOW (a few years later), I have a BETTER NEW Ol' Molly, a better replacement heifer, and two other calves that I could have sold, or kept - as the case might be, and not have to continue to lie to myself and make excuses for a lack of quality that Ol' Molly was genetically engineered to produce - whatever my 'Pie-In-The-Sky' dreams might have led me to believe!

DOC HARRIS

SHOW ME YOUR 900 LB COW THAT RAISES A 600 LB CALF IN 6 MONTHS

HerefordSire":iw3no82i said:
JHH":iw3no82i said:
Almost forgot she weighed 907 lbs at weaning time calf weighed 598 at 6 months old. She is small framed but she stays. She has never given me a heifer yet. I am waiting and hoping for this year.

598 / 907 = 65.93% @ 180 days or 3.322 pounds per day

@ 205 days, or and extra 25 days @ 3.322 = 83.05 more pounds

598 + 83 = 681

681 / 907 = 75%

You have a cow weaning a calf which projects to 75% of her weight @ 205 days?

Never did do the math just cashed the check and knew she stayed. IF SHE WASNT BLACK WHITE FACED I WOULD HAVE SAID I GOT THE CALVES MIXED UP. She throughs a black white faced calf every year and she is almost all hereford ( almost)

DOC HARRIS":6aufqujn said:

DOC HARRIS

I would take a replacement out of her before I would go buy some one elses cull cows or heifers

JHH i got a few of them ugly cows that work like that one of yours does, and thats why they stay around. If you want to AI her to a Fullblood Limi i will give you the semen to do it with. It is the dollars a cow makes for you ever year that makes a good cow, not there good looks.

I didn't say he needed to change bulls, i said if he wanted to AI that cow to a Fullblood Limi bull i would give him the semen. And i won't give him junk semen i will give him the good stuff.

Latest posts