Thought for the day

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb said:

Carl Sagan ask - isn't it enough that we just had the opportunity to have an existence? I cannot find the quote but I heard him say it in an interview. I did find this:

"We live in a vast and awesome universe in which, daily, suns are made and worlds destroyed, where humanity clings to an obscure clod of rock."

He was probably once again referring to the bible. I do believe a person should read a wide range of books, things that oppose one's own view points or popular view points...things that make one think, that are mentally stimulating.

Sagan was also very interested in extraterrestrial life...from what I have read he did not believe they exsisted.

alisonb said:

He was probably once again referring to the bible. I do believe a person should read a wide range of books, things that oppose one's own view points or popular view points...things that make one think, that are mentally stimulating.

Sagan was also very interested in extraterrestrial life...from what I have read he did not believe they exsisted.

Carl Sagan considered the probability of the existence of other organic life forms on other terrestrial bodies in the Universe at almost 100%. In fact, so high that he made the assumption that earth was not the only body in the Universe that supported life as inevitable. Here are his words from about the 1980s.

"There's a lot of potential abodes for life," Sagan says in the interview, "and the stuff of life is everywhere.

Add to this equation billions of years for biological evolution on each planet and, Sagan adds, "It seems very hard to believe that our paltry little planet is the only one that's inhabited." 

Bright Raven said:
Carl Sagan ask - isn't it enough that we just had the opportunity to have an existence?
My answer is a resounding No. A house fly has an existence... of 28 days.
To say you had the opportunity to exist, be satisfied, is a cop out and setting the bar too low.

Science can explain the how of God's creation, only God can explain the why.
Thankfully he sent us a letter revealing the why to any seeking it and can read with understanding.
He even tells us how to find the how (science) Test all things, keeping what is good, discarding
what is not. Building precept upon precept, here a little there a little is how wisdom is taught.
By doing this you will come to understand and if that's not the basis of scientific testing and its
principles I don't know what is.

The same applies for understanding the Why. But take heed of the warning Jesus gave us...
Beware the traditions of man that make void the word of God.
False prophets of the wind (windbag preachers) that know not of what they speak.
Read (with understanding) and study his letter for yourself. God gave us brains to be used.
IF you just follow blindly after religious traditions without thinking, you will be sorely mislead.

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
Carl Sagan ask - isn't it enough that we just had the opportunity to have an existence?
To say you had the opportunity to exist, be satisfied, is a cop out and setting the bar too low.

Science can explain the how of God's creation, only God can explain the why.
Thankfully he sent us a letter revealing the why to any seeking it and can read with understanding.
He even tells us how to find the how (science) Test all things, keeping what is good, discarding
what is not. Building precept upon precept, here a little there a little is how wisdom is taught.
By doing this you will come to understand and if that's not the basis of scientific testing and its
principles I don't know what is.

The same applies for understanding the Why. But take heed of the warning Jesus gave us...
Beware the traditions of man that make void the word of God.
False prophets of the wind (windbag preachers) that know not of what they speak.
Read (with understanding) and study his letter for yourself. God gave us brains to be used.
IF you just follow blindly after religious traditions without thinking, you will be sorely mislead.

What do you consider "tradition" Butch. Paul told us to hold fast to the tradition you were taught.

TexasBred said:
Bright Raven said:
TexasBred said:
You sound like a moderator Ron........whatever you say :bs:

I say let's not screw up a decent thread.

That's never been a concern of yours in the past

Not going to banter. This thread has merit. Bringing religion and politics into it is going to seal its doom. In fact, the Moderators made that clear several pages back. I personally hope it can continue.

I don't know who started quoting Carl Sagan, but having read "Dragons of Eden" I can say he is full atheist. You can't quote him and ignore that in any discussion following his quotes.

TexasBred said:
What do you consider "tradition" Butch. Paul told us to hold fast to the tradition you were taught.
It's not what I consider "tradition" that matters.

It's being able to read with understanding what the bible says, by rightly dividing the word.
To do so we have to be able to follow the subject being addressed and then decide for yourself.
Jesus and Paul were addressing two different subjects (though both were given as warnings)

p.s.
We can't even have a discussion on well done steaks without disagreement on the definition of
many, most and all. (lol) Let alone the meaning of life. :)

So to avoid getting the thread locked T.B. I'll end here and p.m. you a more detailed explanation
of the tradition subjects in question.

A conversation in which the two parties have different beliefs should never begin with the intention of converting the other party to your own beliefs. Every worthwhile conversation's goal should be to understand the other person's opinions and help them understand your own.

Son of Butch said:
Bright Raven said:
Carl Sagan asked - isn't it enough that we just had the opportunity to have an existence?

Test all things, keeping what is good, discarding what is not.
Building precept upon precept, here a little there a little is how wisdom is taught.
(Written thousands of years ago.)

If that's not the basis of scientific testing and its principles I don't know what is.
Better?

alisonb said:
A conversation in which the two parties have different beliefs should never begin with the intention of converting the other party to your own beliefs. Every worthwhile conversation's goal should be to understand the other person's opinions and help them understand your own.

I'll convert you yet :lol: :lol:

Latest posts