this may turn some heads

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
"dun please tell me and john and others what would be wrong with the public knowing what cab posts on its own web site this beef if from what appears to be angus influenced beef."

It doesn't "appear" to be Angus influenced beef. Tell me what other breed of cattle produces thousands of black animals in the US every year? The specifications are available for anyone that wants to read them. If it's black it has Angus. That's the requirement.

" if you were to poll the american consumer they are ignorant as to the facts."

How do you know that? Did you poll the American consumer?

"you go to hardees or the supermarket there are the angus pictures this is nothing short of deception. "

Not necessarily. The meat may have come from a real Angus. It may have come from a crossbred Angus. So why not put the most attractive (in my opinion anyway) picture on the wall?

"lastly why should anyone have to sue to bring out integrity or accountabilaty?? why not set the standard of integrity rather than hiding from it. it is a crying shame that people have to be made to do the right thing."

CAB probably has been sued and won. CAB stands behind every cut of beef sold under that brand, that's integrity. Again, just because you and John aren't happy about this successful program doesn't make it wrong.

"i would suggest to john he contact the super market chains and see if they are aware of the truth or hardees or burger king. he might even catch 60 minutes or 20 20 or datelines attention if he tryed. go for it john."

I'd also encourage John to contact his supermarkets, Hardees and Burger King and tell them the "truth." But he won't because he knows there is no fraud.

Frankie":1crjtjsq said:
" please tell me and john and others what would be wrong with the public knowing what cab posts on its own web site this beef IS from what appears to be angus influenced beef."

It doesn't "appear" to be Angus influenced beef. Tell me what other breed of cattle produces thousands of black animals in the US every year? The specifications are available for anyone that wants to read them. If it's black it has Angus. That's the requirement.

" if you were to poll the american consumer they are ignorant as to the facts."

How do you know that? Did you poll the American consumer?

"you go to hardees or the supermarket there are the angus pictures this is nothing short of deception. "

Not necessarily. The meat may have come from a real Angus. It may have come from a crossbred Angus. So why not put the most attractive (in my opinion anyway) picture on the wall?

"lastly why should anyone have to sue to bring out integrity or accountabilaty?? why not set the standard of integrity rather than hiding from it. it is a crying shame that people have to be made to do the right thing."

CAB probably has been sued and won. CAB stands behind every cut of beef sold under that brand, that's integrity. Again, just because you and John aren't happy about this successful program doesn't make it wrong.

"i would suggest to john he contact the super market chains and see if they are aware of the truth or hardees or burger king. he might even catch 60 minutes or 20 20 or datelines attention if he tryed. go for it john."

I'd also encourage John to contact his supermarkets, Hardees and Burger King and tell them the "truth." But he won't because he knows there is no fraud.

frankie AND DUN

please tell me where the facts are for the cunsumer to know that these animals come from what appears to be angus influenced cattle. you dont even find it in small print under that cute little picture. where are the specs for the consumer? and yes FRANKIE I FOUND THE WORDS APPEARS TO BE INFLUENCED BY ANGUS ON CAB-S OWN WEB SITE. WHY WONT YOU ADMIT THIS RATHER THAN SAYING WHAT OTHER BREED INFUENCES THE BLACK HIDE.

one might say call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. the truth is the people that call thesE animals in the cab program angus make nothing short of an educated guess. and by the way dont be so selective with your answers. what about those little bitty rib eyes from the herford angus cross at marc testing at oklahoma state. and then their was the waste angus herford cross scorded in the lower end for retail cuts and waste out of 27 breeds tested.

frankie while we are discussing this tell me what you know about the usdas testing that shows that temperment deals with the quality of the cut and feed plays a big role in taste and that marbling attributes a mere 5 to 10 % to a good steak. they list four factors for a good cut of beef heridity stress feed and aging the beef after processing. these facts are quoted by animal physiologist mohammad koohmarie at the usda lab at clay city nebraska.

please tell me where your statistics are that show that an angus bull brings 400 dollars more. post some university studies or usda studies that show how angus scored against the other breeds.

and dealing with being selectve you forgot to encourage john to contact 20 20 or dateline or 60 minutes if he is so un happy.

and previously it had been pointed out that on cabs own web site a mere 1.9 million animals out of 9 million made the grade at the 32 licensed feedlots.

if the genetics are so good would you not think the odds should be better. quoting the clay city nebraska studies above made me wonder and conclude if these 9 million cattle were really influenced by angus then the primary thing that the angus do is ad color to the hide because the heridity is only giving one a less than 20 % chance of grading for the cab program.

you say that cab has probably been sued. thats like saying becuse its 51 % black its angus. a black welsh or black holstein crossed with beef will sometimes throw black. YOU ARE MAKING AN ANGUS EDUCATED GUESS THAT THEY HAVE PROBABLY BEEN SUED

HERE ARE THE FACTS

ACCORDING TO CABS OWN WORDS YOU MIGHT BE EATING ANGUS INFLUENCED BEEF THIS IS WHAT EARKS ONE THAT THEY DO NOT TELL THE CONSUMER THIS MIGHT BE ANGUS.

YOU ACCUSED JOHN OF BEING A HPOCRITE BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO NOT COMMENT ON THE OTHER FRAUDS THAT MIGHT BE GOING ON FROM WHAT I SUMMIZE JOHN IS NOT RAISING AUTOMOBILES BUT BEEF. I CONCLUDE FROM READING HIS POSTS HE WANTS INTEGRITY IN THE BEEF INDUSTRY. BECAUSE WHEN HE RAISES BEEF NO MATTER HOW MANY HE RAISES HE HAS A RIGHT TO DEMAND INTEGRITY.

I HAVE READ NUMEROUS POSTS AND SEE WHERE MANY HAVE ASKED FOR STUDIES BY UNIVERSITIES OR USDA TESTING HAVE BEEEN ASKED FOR WITH ANGUS STATISTICS AGAINST OTHER BREEDS HAVE BEEN REQUESTED.

WHATS IRONIC IS THERE HAVE BEEN NO POSTS BACK WITH THIS INFORMATION. ALL YOU SEE IS WHEN SOMEONE ASKS WHAT TO CROSS WITH IS USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. WELL WHERE ARE THE STATISTICS TO BACK UP THIS REASONING OF USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. HOW ABOUT SOME STATISTICS OR FACTS

WE ARE WAITING for THE ANGUS CHEERLEADERS FRANKIE OR DUN OR LA FOR ANGUS TO LIST SOME FACTS.

PLEASE ALSO TELL US WHERE THE CONSUMER CAN READ THE FINE PRINT appears to be of angus influence. you guys have an angus day

What is being defended is the CAB program, not blk Angus cattle. We don't raise them so it's just a periheral thing to us. Being 51% black just gets their hoof in the door. The quality grade s what makes it CAB.
The MARC study I have shows that Angus graded choice 77% choice, Red Poll71% Hereford 60% The next closest was Pinzgaur at 55%, but only 98% of those even graded choice.
Limousin had a higher dressing percentagebut only 14% graded choice and only 84% graded at least choice. Until you get to continental breeds only Red Poll had larger REA.

dun

dun":14irzjrg said:
What is being defended is the CAB program, not blk Angus cattle. We don't raise them so it's just a periheral thing to us. Being 51% black just gets their hoof in the door. The quality grade s what makes it CAB.
The MARC study I have shows that Angus graded choice 77% choice, Red Poll71% Hereford 60% The next closest was Pinzgaur at 55%, but only 98% of those even graded choice.
Limousin had a higher dressing percentagebut only 14% graded choice and only 84% graded at least choice. Until you get to continental breeds only Red Poll had larger REA.

dun

DUN THIS IS THE GIST OF IT IF THE CAB BEEF IS SO GREAT CALL IT WHAT IT IS [ APPEARS TO BE FROM ANGUS INFLUENCED COWS} BUT CAB IS AFRAID TO DO SO BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A BETTER GAME BY CALLING IT BLACK ANGUS STEAK BURGERS. I WOULD DARE SAY THAT THE WAY THAT THEY ARE ABLE TO CALL IT BLACK ANGUS STEAK BURGERS IS BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE THE OTHER 80 % OF THOSE 9 MILLION ANIMALS THAT DONT MEET THE GRADE END UP IN GROUND BEEF? HERE TO THEY SHOULD BE CALLED ASSUMED TO BE FROM ANGUS INFLUENCE STEAK BURGERS.

ALL SO WHERE ARE YOUR STUDIES WHAT MARC STUDY ARE YOU QUOTING? HOW ABOUT A DIRECT LINK.

WHAT WE GET FROM YOU GUYS IS LIKE THIS. THERE WAS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS ASKED WHY HE WAS A CHRISTIAN. HIS REPLY WAS ITS GOOD FOR ME WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU. IT JUST IS. HE TO GAVE NO BIBLICAL DOCUMENTATION OR REFRENCES. HIS REPLY WAS ITS JUST GOOD.

ONE CAN LIKEN TO TRYING TO PURSUADE ONE TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO TELL WHY. BECAUSE GOD CREATED YOU OR JOHN 3:16 THAT HE LOVED YOU THIS MUCH! SCRITURAL REFRENCES!

WHERE ARE THE ANGUS REFRENCES?

THE TRUTH CONCERNING THE CAB PROGAM AND BLACK ANGUS CERTIFICATION THE ANGUS GENE IS SO CONTAMINATED BY OTHER BREEDS EVEN HOLSTEIN THAT THERE CAN BE NO CERTIFICATION BY DNA OR ANYTHING ELSE.

I WONDER IF THERE IS AN ANGUS ANIMAL OUT THERE TODAY THAT CAN BE TRACED BACK AS NOT PUREBRED BUT FULLBLOOD THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE? IF THERE ARE ANY OF TTHESE ANIMALS AVAILABLE THEN WHY NOT ENROLL SOME OF THEM IN A CERITIFIED MARC STUDY?

LASTLY IF THE GIST OF CAB IS QUALITY BEEF WHY NOT STOP DISCRIMINATING AGAIST THE OTHER BREEDS AND CHANGE CAB TO MEAN {CERTIFIED AMERICAN BEEF} ???

WOULD IT BE BECAUSE THIS POLLUTED BREED COULD NOT BE PROMOTED ABOVE OTHERS? THE FACTS ARE IT MAY BE THE HERFORDS AND OTHER BREEDS THAT MAKE ALLEDGED ANGUS INFUENCED CROSS MEET THE CAB CRITERIA!!!!!!

Since the Angus Ass. now has a tagging system perhaps they should start requiring that all CAB should be out of tagged animals from Registered Angus bulls. This way everybody will have to buy Angus bulls to qualify. This would mean all the breeders of other breeds breeding for black hides could focus on converting to Angus. This would take care of the so-called fraud and give Angus anouther leg up on the other breeds.
Tod

you guys have an angus day[/quote]

I assume this is Ollie?

"please tell me where the facts are for the cunsumer to know that these animals come from what appears to be angus influenced cattle. you dont even find it in small print under that cute little picture. where are the specs for the consumer?"

The facts are available on the CAB website. Any consumer interested can find out what goes into CAB. If a supermarket near you sells CAB, ask them. Are you suggesting it be put on every package of beef? Not likely.

" and yes FRANKIE I FOUND THE WORDS APPEARS TO BE INFLUENCED BY ANGUS ON CAB-S OWN WEB SITE. WHY WONT YOU ADMIT THIS RATHER THAN SAYING WHAT OTHER BREED INFUENCES THE BLACK HIDE. "

I'm happy to "admit" all CAB cattle are not 100% Angus. Other than that, I don't understand what you're looking for here. I believe that in the US, 99% of the black cattle killed for meat are Angus influenced. You show me that's not true.

"one might say call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. the truth is the people that call thesE animals in the cab program angus make nothing short of an educated guess."

Of course it's an educated guess. That's one of the smartest things the Angus Assn did when they set up CAB. There was no DNA testing at that time. The packers would never have bought into a program that slowed down their lines. Fast visual appraisal was the key for getting this thing started.

" and by the way dont be so selective with your answers. what about those little bitty rib eyes from the herford angus cross at marc testing at oklahoma state. and then their was the waste angus herford cross scorded in the lower end for retail cuts and waste out of 27 breeds tested."

Selective? Like you ignore my response to this question: "if you were to poll the american consumer they are ignorant as to the facts." Answer my response: How do you know that; did you poll consumers?

"What about thise little rib eyes?"

I'd never say every Angus was good. But the packers aren't interested in 16 in ribeyes. They want a 12-13 inch eye. There are lots of Angus bulls that scan bigger eyes. Since when did MARC use OK State for their testing? Post a link to that article. As for the Hereford/Angus cross, I'll just have to blame it on the Hereford influence!

"frankie while we are discussing this tell me what you know about the usdas testing that shows that temperment deals with the quality of the cut and feed plays a big role in taste and that marbling attributes a mere 5 to 10 % to a good steak."

So what? Consumers prefer marbled beef. Choice beef is four times less likely to be tough than Select beef. Until we come up with a reliable way to identify tender beef, I'll continue to raise bulls that have the potential to sire high marbling calves. Their beef is more likely to be tender and consumers prefer the marbling.

" they list four factors for a good cut of beef heridity stress feed and aging the beef after processing. these facts are quoted by animal physiologist mohammad koohmarie at the usda lab at clay city nebraska. "

Notice that the first item listed is heredity (or as you spell it heridity). The very first item!! The other items are management. But if the genetic potential is not there for marbling, you can manage the heck out of a steer and still get a Standard cut of meat. The fellow who used to run the OK Steer Feed out used to say, "You can mismanage a good steer down to Select/Standard. But you can't manage a Select steer up to Choice." Genetic, genetics, genetics. A producer can use EPDs to select bulls that will improve his calf crop, whether it's marbling, YG, size….

"please tell me where your statistics are that show that an angus bull brings 400 dollars more. post some university studies or usda studies that show how angus scored against the other breeds."

I think I said "about $400." The Angus Association has been tracking the "Angus premium" for several years. There are several articles in Angus Journals and the Angus Beef Bulletin. They're both on line if you want to go out and research them. The premium for back hided calves at sale barns across the US is a fact. Anyone on this board can tell you that. They take that premium and trace it back to Angus bulls to come up with the $400 premium for Angus bulls over other breeds. There are bull test station sales online that will reflect Angus bull premiums over other breeds. I have several test stations bookmarked, though not necessarily their sales info. If you want, I'll copy a list of those stations.

"and dealing with being selectve you forgot to encourage john to contact 20 20 or dateline or 60 minutes if he is so un happy."

You're right I did. Go for it, John. I'm waiting for his response about whether he runs black cattle or not.

"and previously it had been pointed out that on cabs own web site a mere 1.9 million animals out of 9 million made the grade at the 32 licensed feedlots."

I think that's pretty good, considering how many Limis, Simis, Gelbvieh, Maines, can qualify visually for CAB, but are less likely to meet the carcass specifications.

"if the genetics are so good would you not think the odds should be better."

Not necessarily. You breed a cow with no marbling to a high marbling bull, the calf may take after mom's marbling, not the sire's. It takes more than one generation to make serious changes in beef quality.

" quoting the clay city nebraska studies above made me wonder and conclude if these 9 million cattle were really influenced by angus then the primary thing that the angus do is ad color to the hide because the heridity is only giving one a less than 20 % chance of grading for the cab program. "

See above. Angus aren't magic; I've never suggested they were. There are some sorry Angus out there. I've hauled a few of them to the sale barn over the years. Other breeds have jumped on the black color to get those Angus premiums.

"you say that cab has probably been sued. thats like saying becuse its 51 % black its angus."

Are you in the US? If so you need to go to the local sale barn and spend some time. Any animal that runs through the sale barn is likely to be called "Angus."

" a black welsh or black holstein crossed with beef will sometimes throw black. YOU ARE MAKING AN ANGUS EDUCATED GUESS THAT THEY HAVE PROBABLY BEEN SUED"

Give me a break! Black Welch and Black Holstein are not what turned the cowherds in the US black. LOL! I doubt there are 1,000 Black Welch and Black Holstein bulls in the US. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. In recent years the Angus Association has paid CattleFax to survey producers. Over half of the beef producers in the US are using Angus bulls.

"HERE ARE THE FACTS

ACCORDING TO CABS OWN WORDS YOU MIGHT BE EATING ANGUS INFLUENCED BEEF THIS IS WHAT EARKS ONE THAT THEY DO NOT TELL THE CONSUMER THIS MIGHT BE ANGUS."

Why should they tell them it "might" be Angus? In the US, if it's black it's Angus influenced, or it might be straightbred Angus. So if they should tell them it's "Angus influenced" that might not be true.

"YOU ACCUSED JOHN OF BEING A HPOCRITE BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO NOT COMMENT ON THE OTHER FRAUDS THAT MIGHT BE GOING ON FROM WHAT I SUMMIZE JOHN IS NOT RAISING AUTOMOBILES BUT BEEF. I CONCLUDE FROM READING HIS POSTS HE WANTS INTEGRITY IN THE BEEF INDUSTRY. BECAUSE WHEN HE RAISES BEEF NO MATTER HOW MANY HE RAISES HE HAS A RIGHT TO DEMAND INTEGRITY. "

John has a right to demand integrity from anyone he deals with, but he has no right set industry standards for "integrity." CAB is a USDA approved branded beef program. It's been around for 25 years. I think it's responsible for bringing some consumers back to eating beef. I'm still waiting for John to tell us if he has black cattle.

"I HAVE READ NUMEROUS POSTS AND SEE WHERE MANY HAVE ASKED FOR STUDIES BY UNIVERSITIES OR USDA TESTING HAVE BEEEN ASKED FOR WITH ANGUS STATISTICS AGAINST OTHER BREEDS HAVE BEEN REQUESTED. "

What sort of Angus statistics are you looking for? The Angus Association isn't into competition for competition's sake. As a producer, I'm interested in producing bulls that will make money for my customers. The fact that a pen of breed "X" gained better or graded better or yielded better than a pen Angus calf is only interesting because it tells me that I need to use the best genetics available to me. But there are lots of statistics available. Tell me specifically what you want and I'll see if I can find it for you.

"WHATS IRONIC IS THERE HAVE BEEN NO POSTS BACK WITH THIS INFORMATION. ALL YOU SEE IS WHEN SOMEONE ASKS WHAT TO CROSS WITH IS USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. WELL WHERE ARE THE STATISTICS TO BACK UP THIS REASONING OF USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. HOW ABOUT SOME STATISTICS OR FACTS"

Get specific. What "facts" do you want?

"WE ARE WAITING for THE ANGUS CHEERLEADERS FRANKIE OR DUN OR LA FOR ANGUS TO LIST SOME FACTS. "

Actually, Dun raises RED ANGUS. BTW, Dun, congratulations on becoming the first Guru. You deserve it.

"PLEASE ALSO TELL US WHERE THE CONSUMER CAN READ THE FINE PRINT appears to be of angus influence."

Apparently they can read it on the CAB page.

" you guys have an angus day"

And believe me, Angus days are good days.

Tod Dague":160r6aih said:
Since the Angus Ass. now has a tagging system perhaps they should start requiring that all CAB should be out of tagged animals from Registered Angus bulls. This way everybody will have to buy Angus bulls to qualify. This would mean all the breeders of other breeds breeding for black hides could focus on converting to Angus. This would take care of the so-called fraud and give Angus anouther leg up on the other breeds.
Tod

I think you're right, Tod, that sometime in the near future CAB will require the Angus Source eartag. Hasn't Red Angus had that program for quite a while? To qualify as CAB "Natural" beef, the animal must be sourced from Angus cattle. That's because of the requirements for the "natural" label.

I never could find a link so I got a hold of MARC and they sent me the hard copy of "Composite breeds to use heterosis and breed differences to improve efficiency of beef production".

dun

GUEST":29h6cko2 said:
dun":29h6cko2 said:

dun

DUN THIS IS THE GIST OF IT IF THE CAB BEEF IS SO GREAT CALL IT WHAT IT IS [ APPEARS TO BE FROM ANGUS INFLUENCED COWS} BUT CAB IS AFRAID TO DO SO BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE A BETTER GAME BY CALLING IT BLACK ANGUS STEAK BURGERS. I WOULD DARE SAY THAT THE WAY THAT THEY ARE ABLE TO CALL IT BLACK ANGUS STEAK BURGERS IS BECAUSE THIS IS WHERE THE OTHER 80 % OF THOSE 9 MILLION ANIMALS THAT DONT MEET THE GRADE END UP IN GROUND BEEF? HERE TO THEY SHOULD BE CALLED ASSUMED TO BE FROM ANGUS INFLUENCE STEAK BURGERS.

ALL SO WHERE ARE YOUR STUDIES WHAT MARC STUDY ARE YOU QUOTING? HOW ABOUT A DIRECT LINK.

WHAT WE GET FROM YOU GUYS IS LIKE THIS. THERE WAS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO WAS ASKED WHY HE WAS A CHRISTIAN. HIS REPLY WAS ITS GOOD FOR ME WHY IS IT GOOD FOR YOU. IT JUST IS. HE TO GAVE NO BIBLICAL DOCUMENTATION OR REFRENCES. HIS REPLY WAS ITS JUST GOOD.

ONE CAN LIKEN TO TRYING TO PURSUADE ONE TO BE A CHRISTIAN YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO TELL WHY. BECAUSE GOD CREATED YOU OR JOHN 3:16 THAT HE LOVED YOU THIS MUCH! SCRITURAL REFRENCES!

WHERE ARE THE ANGUS REFRENCES?

THE TRUTH CONCERNING THE CAB PROGAM AND BLACK ANGUS CERTIFICATION THE ANGUS GENE IS SO CONTAMINATED BY OTHER BREEDS EVEN HOLSTEIN THAT THERE CAN BE NO CERTIFICATION BY DNA OR ANYTHING ELSE.

I WONDER IF THERE IS AN ANGUS ANIMAL OUT THERE TODAY THAT CAN BE TRACED BACK AS NOT PUREBRED BUT FULLBLOOD THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE? IF THERE ARE ANY OF TTHESE ANIMALS AVAILABLE THEN WHY NOT ENROLL SOME OF THEM IN A CERITIFIED MARC STUDY?

LASTLY IF THE GIST OF CAB IS QUALITY BEEF WHY NOT STOP DISCRIMINATING AGAIST THE OTHER BREEDS AND CHANGE CAB TO MEAN {CERTIFIED AMERICAN BEEF} ???

WOULD IT BE BECAUSE THIS POLLUTED BREED COULD NOT BE PROMOTED ABOVE OTHERS? THE FACTS ARE IT MAY BE THE HERFORDS AND OTHER BREEDS THAT MAKE ALLEDGED ANGUS INFUENCED CROSS MEET THE CAB CRITERIA!!!!!!

For some mysterious reason, Frankie seems very concerned with the hide color of my cattle. I have some black hided cows (angus crossbred). In the past I have run many straightbred angus and black baldies. Hope this satisfies you.

Tod makes an excellent point, which Frankie seems to agree with. I can assure you that that as soon as CAB requires parentage info or genetic verification for all CAB products, you will hear no more flack from me about the program.

Hope I am wrong about this, as I would love to see the fraud disappear, but I predict that the CAB program will not require verification and will continue to cheat consumers until they are forced by USDA or the courts to clean up their program or consumer backlash causes CAB sales to drop dramatically, which ever comes first. WHY? Because fraud and greed are very closely related and tend to go together.

John S.":1c9f4rh4 said:
For some mysterious reason, Frankie seems very concerned with the hide color of my cattle. I have some black hided cows (angus crossbred). In the past I have run many straightbred angus and black baldies. Hope this satisfies you.

Tod makes an excellent point, which Frankie seems to agree with. I can assure you that that as soon as CAB requires parentage info or genetic verification for all CAB products, you will hear no more flack from me about the program.

Hope I am wrong about this, as I would love to see the fraud disappear, but I predict that the CAB program will not require verification and will continue to cheat consumers until they are forced by USDA or the courts to clean up their program or consumer backlash causes CAB sales to drop dramatically, which ever comes first. WHY? Because fraud and greed are very closely related and tend to go together.

john you have it backwards greed comes first and then fraud if you doubt this go to the bible cain slew able jealous greed. lastly the angus association cannot document one thing by dna

Frankie":11n58p1c said:
you guys have an angus day

I assume this is Ollie?

"please tell me where the facts are for the cunsumer to know that these animals come from what appears to be angus influenced cattle. you dont even find it in small print under that cute little picture. where are the specs for the consumer?"

The facts are available on the CAB website. Any consumer interested can find out what goes into CAB. If a supermarket near you sells CAB, ask them. Are you suggesting it be put on every package of beef? Not likely.

" and yes FRANKIE I FOUND THE WORDS APPEARS TO BE INFLUENCED BY ANGUS ON CAB-S OWN WEB SITE. WHY WONT YOU ADMIT THIS RATHER THAN SAYING WHAT OTHER BREED INFUENCES THE BLACK HIDE. "

I'm happy to "admit" all CAB cattle are not 100% Angus. Other than that, I don't understand what you're looking for here. I believe that in the US, 99% of the black cattle killed for meat are Angus influenced. You show me that's not true.

"one might say call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. the truth is the people that call thesE animals in the cab program angus make nothing short of an educated guess."

Of course it's an educated guess. That's one of the smartest things the Angus Assn did when they set up CAB. There was no DNA testing at that time. The packers would never have bought into a program that slowed down their lines. Fast visual appraisal was the key for getting this thing started.

" and by the way dont be so selective with your answers. what about those little bitty rib eyes from the herford angus cross at marc testing at oklahoma state. and then their was the waste angus herford cross scorded in the lower end for retail cuts and waste out of 27 breeds tested."

Selective? Like you ignore my response to this question: "if you were to poll the american consumer they are ignorant as to the facts." Answer my response: How do you know that; did you poll consumers?

"What about thise little rib eyes?"

I'd never say every Angus was good. But the packers aren't interested in 16 in ribeyes. They want a 12-13 inch eye. There are lots of Angus bulls that scan bigger eyes. Since when did MARC use OK State for their testing? Post a link to that article. As for the Hereford/Angus cross, I'll just have to blame it on the Hereford influence!

"frankie while we are discussing this tell me what you know about the usdas testing that shows that temperment deals with the quality of the cut and feed plays a big role in taste and that marbling attributes a mere 5 to 10 % to a good steak."

So what? Consumers prefer marbled beef. Choice beef is four times less likely to be tough than Select beef. Until we come up with a reliable way to identify tender beef, I'll continue to raise bulls that have the potential to sire high marbling calves. Their beef is more likely to be tender and consumers prefer the marbling.

" they list four factors for a good cut of beef heridity stress feed and aging the beef after processing. these facts are quoted by animal physiologist mohammad koohmarie at the usda lab at clay city nebraska. "

Notice that the first item listed is heredity (or as you spell it heridity). The very first item!! The other items are management. But if the genetic potential is not there for marbling, you can manage the heck out of a steer and still get a Standard cut of meat. The fellow who used to run the OK Steer Feed out used to say, "You can mismanage a good steer down to Select/Standard. But you can't manage a Select steer up to Choice." Genetic, genetics, genetics. A producer can use EPDs to select bulls that will improve his calf crop, whether it's marbling, YG, size….

"please tell me where your statistics are that show that an angus bull brings 400 dollars more. post some university studies or usda studies that show how angus scored against the other breeds."

I think I said "about $400." The Angus Association has been tracking the "Angus premium" for several years. There are several articles in Angus Journals and the Angus Beef Bulletin. They're both on line if you want to go out and research them. The premium for back hided calves at sale barns across the US is a fact. Anyone on this board can tell you that. They take that premium and trace it back to Angus bulls to come up with the $400 premium for Angus bulls over other breeds. There are bull test station sales online that will reflect Angus bull premiums over other breeds. I have several test stations bookmarked, though not necessarily their sales info. If you want, I'll copy a list of those stations.

"and dealing with being selectve you forgot to encourage john to contact 20 20 or dateline or 60 minutes if he is so un happy."

You're right I did. Go for it, John. I'm waiting for his response about whether he runs black cattle or not.

"and previously it had been pointed out that on cabs own web site a mere 1.9 million animals out of 9 million made the grade at the 32 licensed feedlots."

I think that's pretty good, considering how many Limis, Simis, Gelbvieh, Maines, can qualify visually for CAB, but are less likely to meet the carcass specifications.

"if the genetics are so good would you not think the odds should be better."

Not necessarily. You breed a cow with no marbling to a high marbling bull, the calf may take after mom's marbling, not the sire's. It takes more than one generation to make serious changes in beef quality.

" quoting the clay city nebraska studies above made me wonder and conclude if these 9 million cattle were really influenced by angus then the primary thing that the angus do is ad color to the hide because the heridity is only giving one a less than 20 % chance of grading for the cab program. "

See above. Angus aren't magic; I've never suggested they were. There are some sorry Angus out there. I've hauled a few of them to the sale barn over the years. Other breeds have jumped on the black color to get those Angus premiums.

"you say that cab has probably been sued. thats like saying becuse its 51 % black its angus."

Are you in the US? If so you need to go to the local sale barn and spend some time. Any animal that runs through the sale barn is likely to be called "Angus."

" a black welsh or black holstein crossed with beef will sometimes throw black. YOU ARE MAKING AN ANGUS EDUCATED GUESS THAT THEY HAVE PROBABLY BEEN SUED"

Give me a break! Black Welch and Black Holstein are not what turned the cowherds in the US black. LOL! I doubt there are 1,000 Black Welch and Black Holstein bulls in the US. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. In recent years the Angus Association has paid CattleFax to survey producers. Over half of the beef producers in the US are using Angus bulls.

"HERE ARE THE FACTS

ACCORDING TO CABS OWN WORDS YOU MIGHT BE EATING ANGUS INFLUENCED BEEF THIS IS WHAT EARKS ONE THAT THEY DO NOT TELL THE CONSUMER THIS MIGHT BE ANGUS."

Why should they tell them it "might" be Angus? In the US, if it's black it's Angus influenced, or it might be straightbred Angus. So if they should tell them it's "Angus influenced" that might not be true.

"YOU ACCUSED JOHN OF BEING A HPOCRITE BECAUSE HE CHOOSES TO NOT COMMENT ON THE OTHER FRAUDS THAT MIGHT BE GOING ON FROM WHAT I SUMMIZE JOHN IS NOT RAISING AUTOMOBILES BUT BEEF. I CONCLUDE FROM READING HIS POSTS HE WANTS INTEGRITY IN THE BEEF INDUSTRY. BECAUSE WHEN HE RAISES BEEF NO MATTER HOW MANY HE RAISES HE HAS A RIGHT TO DEMAND INTEGRITY. "

John has a right to demand integrity from anyone he deals with, but he has no right set industry standards for "integrity." CAB is a USDA approved branded beef program. It's been around for 25 years. I think it's responsible for bringing some consumers back to eating beef. I'm still waiting for John to tell us if he has black cattle.

"I HAVE READ NUMEROUS POSTS AND SEE WHERE MANY HAVE ASKED FOR STUDIES BY UNIVERSITIES OR USDA TESTING HAVE BEEEN ASKED FOR WITH ANGUS STATISTICS AGAINST OTHER BREEDS HAVE BEEN REQUESTED. "

What sort of Angus statistics are you looking for? The Angus Association isn't into competition for competition's sake. As a producer, I'm interested in producing bulls that will make money for my customers. The fact that a pen of breed "X" gained better or graded better or yielded better than a pen Angus calf is only interesting because it tells me that I need to use the best genetics available to me. But there are lots of statistics available. Tell me specifically what you want and I'll see if I can find it for you.

"WHATS IRONIC IS THERE HAVE BEEN NO POSTS BACK WITH THIS INFORMATION. ALL YOU SEE IS WHEN SOMEONE ASKS WHAT TO CROSS WITH IS USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. WELL WHERE ARE THE STATISTICS TO BACK UP THIS REASONING OF USE ANGUS USE ANGUS. HOW ABOUT SOME STATISTICS OR FACTS"

Get specific. What "facts" do you want?

"WE ARE WAITING for THE ANGUS CHEERLEADERS FRANKIE OR DUN OR LA FOR ANGUS TO LIST SOME FACTS. "

Actually, Dun raises RED ANGUS. BTW, Dun, congratulations on becoming the first Guru. You deserve it.

"PLEASE ALSO TELL US WHERE THE CONSUMER CAN READ THE FINE PRINT appears to be of angus influence."

Apparently they can read it on the CAB page.

" you guys have an angus day"

And believe me, Angus days are good days.[/quote]

frankie no this aint ollie

please start with any information you can post. and please i dont want any thing compiled by the angus association. as i want info from tests at universities or usda tests

on your search query type in breeds comparisson germplasm evaluation at marc and you will find the oklahoma tests i refer to.

on this test of 27 breeds the angus gross had the highest fat trim of 21% of the carcass talk about waist it costs nearly twice as much to put a pound of fat on an animal as a pound of meat. they had a 200 day weight of 432 lbs the jersies had a 408 with the highest number of choice and the angus cross rib area was a mere 10.85 square inches.

now back to the info i want you to sell me on the angus breed i want facts not he said she said or my neighbor told me this or dad had this kind of experience. and for the record how many head of cattle do you have this angus experience with of your own.

facts from independent tests or studies

thanks

My posts have my name on them. Assume something else.

ollie":1onlqd1u said:
My posts have my name on them. Assume something else.

You're right, Ollie. I should not have made that assumption. Please accept my apology.

"please start with any information you can post. and please i dont want any thing compiled by the angus association. as i want info from tests at universities or usda tests"

You still don't tell me specifically what you're looking for, so I'll choose feedlot gain.

"on your search query type in breeds comparisson germplasm evaluation at marc and you will find the oklahoma tests i refer to.

on this test of 27 breeds the angus gross had the highest fat trim of 21% of the carcass talk about waist it costs nearly twice as much to put a pound of fat on an animal as a pound of meat. they had a 200 day weight of 432 lbs the jersies had a 408 with the highest number of choice and the angus cross rib area was a mere 10.85 square inches."

When I copied your recommended search query into Google, I got nothing, since it's misspelled. When I corrected the spelling I got a lot of stuff, but didn't find the info you've posted. Back it up and post a link.

"now back to the info i want you to sell me on the angus breed i want facts not he said she said or my neighbor told me this or dad had this kind of experience. and for the record how many head of cattle do you have this angus experience with of your own

facts from independent tests or studies"

I don't care if you use Angus or not. But I think some people reading this board might be interested so here goes:

Here's a link to the Oklahoma Beef, Inc. (OBI) website at Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK. Click on Test Reports and you'll find reports on Angus and several other breeds.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/bull_testing.htm

Feel free to browse these test results. Since we started using Windows XP a few years ago, I can't open some of the oldest reports. You may be able to, depending on your web browser.

I pulled my paper copies of some tests.

Test #084 – 164 registered 9-10 month old Angus bulls were weighed on test with an average weight of 742 lbs.
155 bulls finished the 112-day test with an adjusted 365-day weight of 1223 lbs.
The overall Average Daily Gain (ADG) of those bulls was 4.60
Highest individual ADG was 6.13
Average scrotal measurement of those 155 bulls was 36.7 cm

Test #21 – 114 registered 9-10 month old Angus bulls were weighed on test with an average weight of 781 lbs.
111 bulls finished the 112-day test with an adjusted 365-day weight of 1224 lbs.
The average ADG of those bulls was 4.15
Highest individual ADG was 5.23
Average scrotal measurement of those 111 bulls was 37.0

Test #23 – 150 registered 9-10 month old Angus bulls were weighed on test with an average weight of 772 lbs.
147 bulls finished the 112-day test with an adjusted 365-day weight of 1281 lbs.
The average ADG of all bulls was 4.32
Highest individual ADG was 5.98
Average scrotal measurement of that group was 36.4

I'd be happy for you to show me a group of 100+ bulls of any other breed that can post the same performance as Angus bulls posted at this test station run by Oklahoma State University.

And here's a link to the Ohio State testing station: http://beef.osu.edu/

I did some investigating and at this link found some info on one of their older tests:

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~bulltest/02/END.pdf

Compare the ADG of Senior and Jr Angus bulls with other breed average ADGs.

Here are links to a couple of other test stations if you want to browse their reports.

http://www.midlandbulltest.com

http://texasbulltest.com/

And here's a link to the Indiana Test Station run by Perdue. At the bottom of this page is a summary of all the breeds on this Winter of'03 test.
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ibep/Winter0 ... tData.html

You'll note that only Simmental outweighed Angus. Also note frame score on the Simmentals. They're going to be very big animals, maybe too big to be efficient in the feedlot. Angus ribeyes were comparable to other breeds. The Gelbvieh Balancer outgained Angus, but it was a crossbreed, and had some Angus (could be Red or Black) influence. And, of course, Angus had the largest scrotal measurement of the breeds.

And here's a link to how the bulls from that test sold:
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ibep/Winter0 ... mNews.html

So there it is, guest. The ability to gain in the feedlot is one reason Angus genetics are being used more and more around the US. Why are so many Angus bulls tested? Because we can continue to improve them. If you have any further comments, please have the guts to use your name.

(quote from Frankie) So there it is, guest. The ability to gain in the feedlot is one reason Angus genetics are being used more and more around the US. Why are so many Angus bulls tested? Because we can continue to improve them. If you have any further comments, please have the guts to use your name.(quote)

Please have the guts to register.

So what would be your take on CHB abd PHB (The equivalent of CAB, only they are two separate Hereford beef programs)? Actually, the three programs would serve to compliment each other and as a dedicated Hereford lover (I love my other cows too), I am happy to see these outlets for more of our products. Good meat is not fraud. People don't have to buy what they don't want. I don't buy what I don't want no matter what it is..

One more comment: There is alot of talk about how Holstein blooded beef can be mistaken for Angus crosses and such. Well, I raise beef cattle, some with Holstein influence and yes, they do from a distance, look like black baldies when crossed with Herefords, some are influenced with "Bramer" blooded breeds but they are very dairy in type and a buyer at a stock auction would have to be blind as a referee to miss things like hip structure and the very " dairyness" of these animals. They are also much larger and just don't resemble Angus. I don't see what the big to-do is all about. Even a 1/4 Holstein doesnt look Angus, even black and all. But, this is my opinion...free speech. I am basing this on my cattle, my experience and my spending everyday with my cattle. I will say this, throw in some Holstein blood now and then, and you will get monster calves. My top producer is a black baldie by a Herefoed bull out of a Holstein cow. All of her descendants, daughters and grand daughters have been crossed with so called "Composite bulls" and the calves are huge. They live on nothig but unimproved pasture (and round coastal bales for a few cool months in the winter) and mineral block. I don't wean my calves as the milk is so abundant and some nurse until close to the time the cow delivers again with no ill effects. I do live in the south where the climate is not a factor so much with feeding and the cattle stay well fed. I am feeding a 2 yr. old bull right now just because I want him to reach his full potential...well, I'm not sure how big I want him....

Victor bred Herefords look anything like they might have some dairy?

ollie":cl6ewzof said:
Victor bred Herefords look anything like they might have some dairy?

only if they were miniature dairy. have you seen the size of most victors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts