Some New Girls...with Just a Touch of Ear

Help Support CattleToday:

Good lookin bunch! Love the ears on em.

I've read a few times about loose hides equal a high chance for tender meat and high butter fat in the milk. Think it was Steve Campbell who said all that. That said, does it ring true about these brahma and brahma cross animals?

Nice! Looks like a couple of Beefmaster as well?
Definitely some BM X in there. With the right bull they will make some chunks.

That 7167 heifer with the spackles on the kneck is likely a Gyr or has Gyr in it. Search Gyr or Gir cattle online. They are one of the Bos Indicus breeds that was used to make the American Brahman.

Nice group you have there.

Last edited:
A few new girls that were shipped in from Texas Saturday afternoon. It was a pleasant 60 degrees out. Got about an inch of rain last night and tonight, a strong north wind, windchill in the 20s. Bit of a motley crew of 11. Brahmas got mainly for the novelty of having a few.
View attachment 38624View attachment 38625View attachment 38626View attachment 38627View attachment 38628
Coupla' those girls look pretty straight Indicus. A motley crew but all pretty nice and probably producers. Are they bred?

I've read a few times about loose hides equal a high chance for tender meat and high butter fat in the milk. Think it was Steve Campbell who said all that. That said, does it ring true about these brahma and brahma cross animals?
According to this study the loose hides in Brahma influenced cattle does not equal tender meat, Brahma influenced cattle are less tender than other breeds.

Nice! Looks like a couple of Beefmaster as well?
Definitely some BM X in there. With the right bull they will make some chunks.

That 7167 heifer with the spackles on the kneck is likely a Gyr or has Gyr in it. Search Gyr or Gir cattle online. They are one of the Bos Indicus breeds that was used to make the American Brahman.

Nice group you have there.
Several beefmaster x's for sure. I was looking for a beefmaster bull and stumbled upon this outfit.
3 red brahmans
4 gert x
3 beefmaster but the gray say it was simbrah
1 bred brangus
One or two have more than a touch of ear ! 🤔 Look like a good group of heifers
Coupla' those girls look pretty straight Indicus. A motley crew but all pretty nice and probably producers. Are they bred?
I was definitely being the facetious with "just a touch of ear."😂 they are nowhere near as crazy as I thought they might be. I can already get within about 5 feet of em before they take off.

I was always told brahmas are not as tender as most other breeds. I will know soon enough.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The black brangus is 7 mos bred. The rest are open. Plan is a black bull initially then charolais after they have their first calf. I got some F1 tigerstripes last year, the 4 I have left will round out my pasture of brahma influenced mommas and future mommas.

According to this study the loose hides in Brahma influenced cattle does not equal tender meat, Brahma influenced cattle are less tender than other breeds.

That article is kind of funny and a little hard to take serious. For one it says... "a high percentage of Brahman influence". I don't remember "high percentage being a unit of measure. That's pretty vague.

It says at the top... No effort has been made to improve blah blah blah..

Then in the last paragraph, it says... the ABBA has started a feed out program for steers to establish a carcass and marbling EPD.

I'm getting mixed signals here. 🤣 The article is also pushing up on 20 years old. A lot has changed I'm the whole industry for all the breeds since then. "A lot

You won't have any issues out of those. The Gyr would be the only one I would watch. They can be finicky in general. The cold will hit her first.

Where you get in trouble is breeding Brahman over Brahman in cold weather or if you went back with a Brahman bull over them. The calves don't always want to get up and move. If you breed out to another breed for F1 type cattle that hybrid vigor gets the up and rocking.

If you could tolerate a good Hereford bull that group would make some nice red and white females. A Hereford over those two Red Brahmans makes what is called a blood tiger.

My only suggestion is stay away from a composite bull on them.

You won't have any issues out of those. The Gyr would be the only one I would watch. They can be finicky in general. The cold will hit her first.

Where you get in trouble is breeding Brahman over Brahman in cold weather or if you went back with a Brahman bull over them. The calves don't always want to get up and move. If you breed out to another breed for F1 type cattle that hybrid vigor gets the up and rocking.

If you could tolerate a good Hereford bull that group would make some nice red and white females. A Hereford over those two Red Brahmans makes what is called a blood tiger.

My only suggestion is stay away from a composite bull on them.
To build on what Brute said you need to use a good English bull on them.
The Gerts will handle the cold just fine.
Most American Brahman will hair over fine as
I had not heard of a blood tiger. Didnt realize there was a name for that cross. I think i can borrow a stout hereford bull (would still need to look at him in person) and might do that. The biggest brahma of the group was jumping on the other heifers today but none jumping her. Overall, pretty excited for this group. Enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions. I sell at okc stockyards where the dock is not as bad as most local places.

A few new girls that were shipped in from Texas Saturday afternoon. It was a pleasant 60 degrees out. Got about an inch of rain last night and tonight, a strong north wind, windchill in the 20s. Bit of a motley crew of 11. Brahmas got mainly for the novelty of having a few.
View attachment 38624View attachment 38625View attachment 38626View attachment 38627View attachment 38628
I really like that lighter colored one with the white face in the last picture and that red one with white on her back in the first picture, but I like the looks of all of them.

Well after looking at these pictures, I think I could make an exception to what's in my pasture. :) I definitely like tag # 0211,
the red one with white on her back and a couple other red ones, with moderate ears.
Interesting about the best breed(s)of bulls to use with them

Latest posts