Speaking of a touch of ear...

Help Support CattleToday:

"deal calf" ????

Contracted tendons. Some of the bones grow faster than they should have or maybe not much room in the uterous. Sometimes they straighten out on their own, others not.
It's always a discussion whether to splint or put a cast on. Neither of those options allow the muscles to strengthen.

"deal calf" ????

Contracted tendons. Some of the bones grow faster than they should have or maybe not much room in the uterous. Sometimes they straighten out on their own, others not.
It's always a discussion whether to splint or put a cast on. Neither of those options allow the muscles to strengthen.
Fat fingers on my part lol. New calf born yesterday. How would you handle it?

Only had it once and on vet's advice, kept momma and calf penned with plenty of hay for it to lay on and it took a while but following momma around the pen, it straightened up in about 5 weeks. Heifer, and I sold it at weaning. It was hard to watch the poor thing walking around like that.
If you have a vet, I'd take some pics and run by and see what the vet said. I have read, that it might be genetic so might be a cull factor..

Might not be the right thread for this but a question for the audience anyway. We have a deal calf with ankles broke over wondering if there's anything we can do or if people have seen thisView attachment 26682
I splinted one for two weeks and it recovered fine. It sure enjoyed the feeling when I took them off.

When I went to AI class and they gave the stats, by the time you factored in percentage that take and percentage actually female, you had no better odds with sexed semin than natural service. It was pretty disappointing.

I went to the AI class to learn how because I wanted to do the same thing. All I learned was I was better off buying bulls. I give them credit for being honest with the stats.
Did your class advise inseminating in the horn of the uterus that isn't ovulating for heifers?

Might not be the right thread for this but a question for the audience anyway. We have a deal calf with ankles broke over wondering if there's anything we can do or if people have seen thisView attachment 26682
Tendons need to stretch due to position in the womb. Not terribly uncommon and will usually straighten out eventually. It would help to put mild pressure on the offending tendons for several minutes at a time every day until the calf can stand on its hooves, but it should straighten out eventually.

Thanks for the reply to everyone. Talk to a couple of guys at the restaurant at lunch and they pretty much said the same thing. We will wait this out likely in a pen and see what happens.

I do what Travlr says if the dam will allow it. Bend them into place and hold them there for a couple minutes. Do it as often as you can. I t seems to speed up the process some.

Did your class advise inseminating in the horn of the uterus that isn't ovulating for heifers?
I dont remember that much detail. It's been a couple years ago. It was a several day deal in college station with Bovine-Elite, ST Genetics, and some others.

It was very interesting and pretty good with the hands on. Imo, they were very honest about what to expect and breaking down costs to let people decide.

We have had 2-3 calves with this. We never did anything but put some pressure on them for a day or two when we chored. It usually straightens out in a week or so and I could never tell at weaning.

Also comes from low selenium .... we see it regularly in dairy calves... and even in some sheep. Give the calf some BoSe or MuSe ( I think the MuSe is usually for sheep... but it still will help.) Usually 2 shots according to label.... and the stretching will help... I've splinted and not... don't think it makes a big difference but makes you not "hurt" when you watch it.... and they seem to get around a little better if not splinted as the tendons will stretch without it being too painful... splinting makes them stay straighter and it hurts after awhile.....but it does make them stretch out.... Keep them close in a pen so the calf gets plenty to eat and the cow doesn't wear it out trying to make it travel til it is getting around better.....
I've seen it take as long as a month but usually in a couple weeks they are doing pretty good.

Since we are in a selenium deficit area it is no big deal.....

How are these doing?
I bit the bullet and took a few to OKC recently. Took a small loss. I could catch em in a rackety lot, so they weren't too bad. In the Pasture, they were all perfectly fine. I had to load the flighty ones with a group to sort em at a place with better facilities. The 2 wild ones were ready to fight. Sorted them from outside the alley.
Screenshots_2023-02-26-05-00-45.pngScreenshots_2023-02-26-04-53-22.pngScreenshots_2023-02-26-04-58-55.png

I still have 4 of the original 7 i bought. Absolutely no plans to get rid of them as the rest are all calm (well one still slightly kooky but shes settled down since her crazy sisters left). The rwf likes neck scratches.
Screenshots_2023-02-26-04-57-39.pngScreenshots_2023-02-26-04-51-01.png

Heres a brangus heifer we raised in same pasture with em along with the newest baby going with "speaking a touch of ear."
0218231121_HDR.jpg0225231029a.jpg

I have had a couple over the years. I wrapped them with gauze and splinted them up with sticks and duck tape. By the time the duck tape came off they were standing well.
Got calf and cow in pen today so calf isn't alone with the buzzard issue we have. Actually walking around a little better but still hard to watch. Char cow and she's was growling and protecting so I let them be for today to see if it improves

Got calf and cow in pen today so calf isn't alone with the buzzard issue we have. Actually walking around a little better but still hard to watch. Char cow and she's was growling and protecting so I let them be for today to see if it improves
Well calf is 6 days old, still looks painful but walking upright and started running and bucking like a normal calf. Amazing to me how they can heal so fast