This little guy surprised me!

Help Support CattleToday:

Crazy Farmgirl

Reaction score
the other morning I was surprised to find momma and this little guy in the pasture. Not only was momma not due for a few more weeks but he appears to be the mailmans...both dam and sire are supposedly fullblood herefords. Now I am no expert but I've never seen a hereford with this color pattern..is it possible for hereford to throw such color?? My thoughts are that one of the parents is NOT full hereford as I was told (they are not registered)

2012-08-30_20-29-11_921.jpg

2012-08-30_20-22-05_283.jpg

Have a neighbor who runs some holstein in his dairy herd been teasing him about sneaking over to knock up my cows or that maybe he botched the banding of the one holstein steer I have from him! :shock:

Good news is he was healthy even though he was early, dam's milk had not come in when he hit the ground but it did come on strong the next day. Dam is 11 yrs old and this is the first bull calf she's ever had (he's a steer now). She is starting to show her age in having to work a little harder to keep condition but is an excellent mother and has great calves so we'll see how she does raising this one and keeping up through the winter...may be her last one.

I would bet my bottom dollar that that little guy has Holstein in his make up, you better check your 'steer' or the fence ;-) .

alisonb":303pxfe3 said:
I would bet my bottom dollar that that little guy has Holstein in his make up, you better check your 'steer' or the fence ;-) .

The steer is definately a steer, already checked, also he would have been only 6 wks old when this cow got bred and never had access to her. No bulls around for miles except the ones here and the ones in a "can" up the road so the fence isn't a problem. I think it must be somwhere in the sire/dam's breeding.

his coloring reminds me of a Simmental. Years ago some Hereford breeders snuck Simmental into their bloodlines to increase the size.
He is cute.

chippie":8x4htk8g said:
his coloring reminds me of a Simmental. Years ago Simmental some Hereford breeders snuck Simmental into their bloodlines to increase the size.
He is cute.

X2

I grew up raising herefords. There is Simmental back there in both pedigrees.

So I just reset the brightness on my monitor, turns out the calf is not black and white as it first seemed before adjustment but red + white :)

Spoke to the man I purchased the dam from and he confirmed that his dad had used some simmetal bulls in the past, so I'm guessing that's where it came from. Told him I was disappointed that he had not disclosed that before. Either way he's healthy and eventually he will look good on a plate!

Yes Alison he is RED AND WHITE :lol:

chippie":ehsnvk3s said:
his coloring reminds me of a Simmental. :nod:
Years ago some Hereford breeders snuck Simmental into their bloodlines to increase the size. :nod: These are not even registered, so this seems likely.
He is cute. :nod:

Last year I had a heifer marked like that except she is black and white. Both the cow and bull were solid black but there was a touch of simmie in the background. Her hide looks holstein but her body is all beef. I made the mistake of giving her to a daughter in law. So now I have a holstein marked bred heifer in my cow herd.

Crazy Farmgirl":25xgouhn said:
the other morning I was surprised to find momma and this little guy in the pasture. Not only was momma not due for a few more weeks but he appears to be the mailmans...both dam and sire are supposedly fullblood herefords. Now I am no expert but I've never seen a hereford with this color pattern..is it possible for hereford to throw such color?? My thoughts are that one of the parents is NOT full hereford as I was told (they are not registered)

2012-08-30_20-29-11_921.jpg

2012-08-30_20-22-05_283.jpg

Have a neighbor who runs some holstein in his dairy herd been teasing him about sneaking over to knock up my cows or that maybe he botched the banding of the one holstein steer I have from him! :shock:

Good news is he was healthy even though he was early, dam's milk had not come in when he hit the ground but it did come on strong the next day. Dam is 11 yrs old and this is the first bull calf she's ever had (he's a steer now). She is starting to show her age in having to work a little harder to keep condition but is an excellent mother and has great calves so we'll see how she does raising this one and keeping up through the winter...may be her last one.

If she is 11 now and doing this well she will likely go to 15 - 18 and not give you any probs - keep her

I have had many cows over 15 give me good calves

Keep the heifers from her

Longevity and productivity when combined are a good thing

You need those push button cows to make a dollar

And I am in agreement - looks like a dairy pattern to me - but it bothers me that he is not black and white - any other possibilities for a daddy in the area? There are Holsteins that run with a red colour - what colour is this bull with loose morals?

Best to all

Bez

Latest posts