Killing the Little Man

Help Support CattleToday:

When we talk about, who is killing the little man, it is easy to cast blame outside forces when really it is our own fault. The other day, I was listening to the radio and an commercial came on for a sandwich made with Australian Wagyu pastrami. Why not an ad for a sandwich with Californian Hereford beef?
I have tried to get involved with the AHA, the Farm Bureau and the Cattlemen's, but those groups are controlled by folks with their hands in each others pockets.

When we talk about, who is killing the little man, it is easy to cast blame outside forces when really it is our own fault. The other day, I was listening to the radio and an commercial came on for a sandwich made with Australian Wagyu pastrami. Why not an ad for a sandwich with Californian Hereford beef?
I have tried to get involved with the AHA, the Farm Bureau and the Cattlemen's, but those groups are controlled by folks with their hands in each others pockets.
Any organization, even started with good intentions, will drift to be self-serving. Those who want power will seek power for good causes or bad causes.

All the old money here wants to only play in their own sandbox. They'll be ok for this generation, but their kids or grandkids will pay.

Who'se selling the sandwich? the advertiser was a sandwich seller, not a beef association. He want's people to say, what is that, I've heard of that, I think I'll try that. The Wagyu deal is starting to become something the people are beginning to understand and placing a higher perception of value on, again pushed by the grocery store, I don't see an "Eat More Wagyu" sign, just a smaller section with higher priced and more attractively packaged beef. The grocery store is selling on the perception that Wagyu is in high demand and short supply, so we never have a lot due to scarcity. Wagyu also sells fast because we are always running out and it's higher priced so it must be good. Sellers create that perception. Why would you want to wait for an association that has been invested in a different product for a long time to now advertise against themself? If you are the "little man" and want to do business and compete with the "big man" you have to make your product different than the "big man's" and sell on that. It's up to you. If the little man does not do that, he's killing himself.

and placing a higher perception of value on, again pushed by the grocery store,
Key word being 'perception'. We've seen this before with big $$$$$$$$$ behind it and that public perception is important to the snake oil sales folks. NOT just the grocery store doing the hawking.

Key word being 'perception'. We've seen this before with big $$$$$$$$$ behind it and that public perception is important to the snake oil sales folks. NOT just the grocery store doing the hawking.
The grocery stores are in it just as much if not more than the associations. The more hype the more margin. It's nothing to them to push the flavor of the month.

As long as the marketing is truthful, I don't have a problem with it.. CAB did a great job of marketing, though its truthfulness is questionable.. Australian Wagyu, if it's indeed that and that's what the consumer wants, well.. that's their choice

I'd argue the only folks who could figure out whether a steak is from a hereford, angus or charlois are the folks that brought the cow in, or those in meat science program at TX A&M. The general consumer knows squat, but boy don't they looooove to squawk about how they had this and that steak and how it was better than anything they've ever had.

Any organization, even started with good intentions, will drift to be self-serving. Those who want power will seek power for good causes or bad causes.
any organization of group that isn't invested in the cause of their concerns have ultimate intensions of forcing regulations or solutions on others to satisfy their organized goals.

Bull Sale season is starting up in California and this year there are going to be several fewer ma and pa breeders having sales. I find it very sad that the little guy is getting squeezed out by big money throwing its weight around.
Ma and Pa bull raisers need the little guy to buy their bulls and they need to do whatever they can to help the little guys buying from them. If the little guys all stick together they can all do ok.

Perception is the key word in everything, it drives every nearly every purchase, it causes you to choose one color or brand over another, it causes you to buy a particular house, truck, tractor or cow. If you did not have a perception that what you're doing is better than something else you would choose something else. Everyone that reads this forum has a perception that it is the right thing to do at that time

Latest posts