There are some true Angus left!

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandon, I have told you what works on my place . Tell me what you are breeding for. What are you trying to change your cattle into? This is my last post on the thread. You can have the last word. One more thing Brandon...why don't you send a picture to me in a pm so I can see how I like your cattle. Just so I'll know. There won't be any comments from me.

DOC HARRIS":e8ll6c6y said:
Campground Cattle":e8ll6c6y said:
DOC HARRIS":e8ll6c6y said:
Quote from "Campground Cattle" post:

"Because of such difference in opinions in the past, the present, and likely in the future, Hereford cattle will command the premier spot in the beef cattle industry for years to come."

I have read and re-read this sentence several times. I have attempted to objectively analyize the meaning that this paragraph seems to imply or suggest. It could be that the writer mis-spoke - or - it is an oxymoron. In any case, to say that . . . the culmination of differences of opinions of many breeders will result in Hereford cattle commanding the premier spot in the beef cattle industry for years to come strikes me as being without solid foundation or logic.

The article gives the appearance of accurate events which occurred with the Hereford breed and some other Beef breeds as well about the same period of time, and it is well presented and well taken. However, the last paragraph seems skewed to me.

DOC HARRIS

After a 150 years they are number 2 in breed registerations, maybe I am confused but looks to me that is a premier spot.
There are 3 essential breeds in the American beef industry like
it not and it is Angus, Hereford, and Brahmans.
Camp. Catt.- My confusion was not with "PREMIER". The operative word here is "COMMAND" in respect to "DIFFERENCE OF OPINIONS"!! :???:

DOC HARRIS

I think the point is that if everyone had agreed to make their cattle either into 40" tall butterballs, or 70" tall slabsides, there would have been no middle of the road cattle left to correct the trends toward the the extreme in either direction. The breed would have then been in far worse shape.

Frankie":3ov2cma0 said:
Campground Cattle":3ov2cma0 said:
DOC HARRIS":3ov2cma0 said:
Quote from "Campground Cattle" post:

"Because of such difference in opinions in the past, the present, and likely in the future, Hereford cattle will command the premier spot in the beef cattle industry for years to come."

I have read and re-read this sentence several times. I have attempted to objectively analyize the meaning that this paragraph seems to imply or suggest. It could be that the writer mis-spoke - or - it is an oxymoron. In any case, to say that . . . the culmination of differences of opinions of many breeders will result in Hereford cattle commanding the premier spot in the beef cattle industry for years to come strikes me as being without solid foundation or logic.

The article gives the appearance of accurate events which occurred with the Hereford breed and some other Beef breeds as well about the same period of time, and it is well presented and well taken. However, the last paragraph seems skewed to me.

DOC HARRIS

After a 150 years they are number 2 in breed registerations, maybe I am confused but looks to me that is a premier spot.
There are 3 essential breeds in the American beef industry like
it not and it is Angus, Hereford, and Brahmans.

The article says THE premier spot, not A premier spot. Big difference.

Well the glasses I look through they do command a premier spot No.2 out of all the breeds in the U.S.
Frankie I am not constantly trying to cram Herefords down peoples throats like you do with Angus. I just figure most cattlemen are smart enough to pick the breed that best suits their operation. You could take lesson's from cattlemen like LA4 and other Angus breeders on the board.

When was the article written? A lot of what is/was considered the "premier" breed of cattle in the US depends on the timeframe

dun

dun":1nq241t4 said:
When was the article written? A lot of what is/was considered the "premier" breed of cattle in the US depends on the timeframe

dun

Dun the best I can tell it was written in the mid to late 80's by a fellow at OSU.

ollie'":18otq6ba said:
I really doubt if there is a known breed that is a genetically pure strain. I doubt Noah took more than one breed on the Ark. That was only about 4000 years ago. More recently every time the phenotype of cattle quickly change very much, there is a good possibility some people will cheat and use a cross of a breed that is more similiar to the desired phenotype. So what? I am not advocating dishonestly ,nor would I do it but I don't personally think if Herefords had a shot of simental or gurnsey or red holstien stuck in them in the late 60's you can credit all the size difference you see today on that action. Genetic selection is a powerful tool. Consistant selection for desirable traits will change a herd of cows in one lifetime to what ever you want them to be. You can take a set of holstien cows and without adding any angus blood to them make them all angus in type within a lifetime or vice versa. If you know what you are breeding for and are consistant in your efforts in 40 years or so you can make them into anything. If you are close to your goals maybe you can do it in 3 or 4 generations of cattle.My point is after all that rambling is cattle are big because they are bred to be big or little because they are bred to be little or black because they are bred to be black or thick, heavy milking, etc., etc. Know what your breeding goals are and change your cattle accordingly. Thinking about it some lines of simental cattle have had the spots bred off of them in 30 or 40 years.
This is a good posting ollie...I agree but there ahve been to many breeders that take shortcuts instead of working for it

copeman, I'll try and scan a pic of that bull and post it on here. We have several pics in the ol scrapbooks of our trip. You'll get a kick out of em. The way they showed there is pretty entertaining. All animals have to be wearing the same halter - 1" thick white cotton rope, and adhesives and such are not allowed. Power fitters are nowhere to be found. If anyone's interested, I could probably post the champions of all the breeds we have pictures of. If I remember right, we've got the Charolais, Simmental, Salers, Murray Grey-hey Springer-, Galloway, Belted Galloway, Romangola, Highland, Hereford, Red Poll, Shorthorn, Mangy-Jew, I mean Maine-Anjou ;-) , and Belgian Blue.

Springer, you'll love the pic of the Murray Grey cow that was named Breed Champion. I'd say she was the most impressive cow there. Mainly b/c she had a calf at side to go w/her structure. Most of the breeds showed cow/calf pairs w/the cow being dry!! The calves were raised by sucklers, and when you went back to the stalls for a beer, er Guiness, the suckler cows were stalled w/the show string.

Latest posts