The One You're Sick Of

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
We've all got one, had one or are going to have one. You know the cow, calf or bull that you can't wait to get rid of.

Currently, for me its a heifer calf. Had a hereford bull with supposedly good genetics and this was his first daughter. I thought GREAT, she'll be the mother of several generations of cows for this place. She has turned out to be a sorry excuse of a calf. Had to give her a penicillin shot last Saturday and now can't get rid of her until the 30 day period is up. Don't know if it's mostly because I'm disappointed she didn't turn out or because she's so dang sorry.

Got one?

Cuz

Yeah, we had a cow that went INSANE as soon as her calf hit the ground. She would growl and paw the ground if we were out on our deck let alone anywhere near the pasture. We had her until she weaned her calf at seven months (she never did allow us in the pasture), then we ate her :). Was never so glad to get rid of an animal in my life!

every morning one of my dads cows jumps out and by-passes plenty of good grass around the barns and heads out to the ditch by the road at 7:30. no fence can contain her. she was trained to do this, he thought it was cute when she was little and that she would keep the grass mowed. she is the daughter of his favorite cow who is dead now. the only daughter he has out of his favorite cow (i have the other one). i'm going to have to sell her one day while hes gone somewhere.

Of course... I believe if you have been in the business long enough there are going to be those "undesirables" that we all long to get rid of. I had one cow that raised a great calf, but she was a tiger to be around. I always dreaded it when she had a bull calf, because she was not a happy animal when you messed with her baby. Too bad she died a few months ago.. :roll:
right now I got one steer that is about as curious and honery as they come. I just know he is going to be the one that gives me problems when I round them up at sale time.

We have one young cow that weighed 952 the week after she calved in March. Her calf is now over 600 lbs and she's skinny as a rail. I'ld like to ship her and if she's open I will. I saw her in heat once right after we turned the bull in and nothing since so she very well may have settled. But she's on the short list for a trailer ride.

dun":2caxkfus said:
We have one young cow that weighed 952 the week after she calved in March. Her calf is now over 600 lbs and she's skinny as a rail. I'ld like to ship her and if she's open I will. I saw her in heat once right after we turned the bull in and nothing since so she very well may have settled. But she's on the short list for a trailer ride.

I got one similar I took her calf off a month or so early to help her a little but she is in the same shape so she off to the sale barn pretty quick I think she is more of a hard kepper then anything as well as she is last on the pecking order so I also have to deal with that

I just got our pain sold Mon. She belonged to my mother in-law. The hard headed thing(the cow)was lead cow. Everytime we went to the pasture she would call all the calves to the back. She was mean anyway,always had to watch her.

angie":2q8rr5hj said:
Yeah, we had a cow that went INSANE as soon as her calf hit the ground. She would growl and paw the ground if we were out on our deck let alone anywhere near the pasture. We had her until she weaned her calf at seven months (she never did allow us in the pasture), then we ate her :). Was never so glad to get rid of an animal in my life!

Why'd you wait 7 months?

Joy in Texas":3f6vb4u1 said:
I just got our pain sold Mon. She belonged to my mother in-law. The hard headed thing(the cow)was lead cow. Everytime we went to the pasture she would call all the calves to the back. She was mean anyway,always had to watch her.

May be watchin you mother-in-law if she reads this! :oops: ;-)

Joy in Texas":3mib98cj said:
I . . . got . . . pain . . . my mother in-law. . . hard headed thing. . . She was mean . . . always had to watch her.

Know what you're talking about. Not to twist your words or anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CUZ":2grrod9l said:
Joy in Texas":2grrod9l said:
I . . . got . . . pain . . . my mother in-law. . . hard headed thing. . . She was mean . . . always had to watch her.

Know what you're talking about. Not to twist your words or anything. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

We got two right now. Woman Hater and Rip.
The first cow hates any female person. She tries to kick you and she tried to put my friend into a gate. Husband won't ship her keeps telling me that she's a good cow :roll: waiting for her to kick him.
Rip is a snorty 4yo that the second you walk into the pen the head and tail are up and she has the whole herd stirred up in about 2 seconds flat. :x
Spouse won't let me ship either one. wait til his back is turned and load them on the trailer for the yard. :D

Yep , a beautiful yellow swiss type Simmental that chases us for 6 weeks after she calves. This is the one I wanted to try bear spray on. Her calf is again fantastic, but she is still going. Time and a repreive from her antics have not changed my mind. She has two months to live so I hope she makes the most of it.

farmwife":3sk16dg7 said:
angie":3sk16dg7 said:

Why'd you wait 7 months?

I knew someone was going to ask that. We had a couple of good reasons but none good enough. I spend some time everyday in the pasture with the cattle now, and would never put up with it again. Of course, I would like to think it has helped us to be much more careful buyers. We'll see.

Latest posts