Always one

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Well I had two calves born this morning. Apparently one of my younger cows decided to have her calf right by this washout. Looks like it did get up and walk before it took a plunge but unfortunately didn't have enough strength to stay upright in the 18" of water. IMG_7113.jpegIMG_7114.jpeg At least I did get a nice bull calf from my other cow. Going to the sale and another large farm tomorrow to see if I can find a calf to put on the cow.IMG_7115.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7115.jpeg
    IMG_7115.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 8
Well crapola!
I always worry about that at my lease place. There's several places with 3 or 4 foot dropoffs. A couple as high as 6 feet.

Lost a bull over there to that! Broke his dern fool neck when he fell/was pushed in...

Well I had two calves born this morning. Apparently one of my younger cows decided to have her calf right by this washout. Looks like it did get up and walk before it took a plunge but unfortunately didn't have enough strength to stay upright in the 18" of water. At least I did get a nice bull calf from my other cow. Going to the sale and another large farm tomorrow to see if I can find a calf to put on the cow.
You know, @coachg is in Alabama. and has a calf that he is looking for a nurse cow for.

Sorry to hear that. That's always a worry. I hope you can locate a good calf to put on her.

I had a calf born yesterday afternoon. It was only 20 feet or so from the river. This morning I couldn't find it when I fed. I went back on the quad and patrolled the river bank. The river is up with this warm weather melting the snow. My thought was if the calf went into the river it is a goner. While doing this the cow crossed the river. There was the calf in the 15 feet or so between the river and the fence on the other side. How it survived crossing the river is beyond me. I went around to the other side. The cow took a dim view of me being within 50 feet of the calf. B came to help. He got the calf across the fence. The cow followed. She decided that killing us was a good plan. Several laps around B vehicle later. Using a shovel to explain to her the error in her ways B was able to load the calf into his Jeep.

This calf has some sort of deformed mouth. A cleft pallet but different. We figured he can nurse if he figures out how to do it. We tubed a bottle down him and took him to the correct side of the river. I took this picture of him. In the picture you can see a little something to the left side looking at it. This was as close as I dared to get with out the cow deciding to kill me.
P3193208.JPG

I had a calf born yesterday afternoon. It was only 20 feet or so from the river. This morning I couldn't find it when I fed. I went back on the quad and patrolled the river bank. The river is up with this warm weather melting the snow. My thought was if the calf went into the river it is a goner. While doing this the cow crossed the river. There was the calf in the 15 feet or so between the river and the fence on the other side. How it survived crossing the river is beyond me. I went around to the other side. The cow took a dim view of me being within 50 feet of the calf. B came to help. He got the calf across the fence. The cow followed. She decided that killing us was a good plan. Several laps around B vehicle later. Using a shovel to explain to her the error in her ways B was able to load the calf into his Jeep.

This calf has some sort of deformed mouth. A cleft pallet but different. We figured he can nurse if he figures out how to do it. We tubed a bottle down him and took him to the correct side of the river. I took this picture of him. In the picture you can see a little something to the left side looking at it. This was as close as I dared to get with out the cow deciding to kill me.
View attachment 42584
Did that calf come from a cow that was sold in the same sale as the dwarf calf's cow? Same seller maybe? Same bull used? You probably know where I'm going with this.

No luck of finding a bottle calf today. Hope to hear back from a someone down the road but it doesn't sound promising.
I didn't even think to let you know I was going to a sale today to look for @coachg a cow, They sold two 3 day old Jersey bull calves for 6 $60 each, and a 3 day old black Angus bull calf for $110. This was about 1:30 PM Ga time, 12:30 PM your time. It is about 4 hours from Calhoun to Dothan,, but dunno where you are. I dunno how well those would have done waiting around to get loaded then a 4 hour trip. I wish I had thought to get your phone number, too, before I went today.

I didn't even think to let you know I was going to a sale today to look for @coachg a cow, They sold two 3 day old Jersey bull calves for 6 $60 each, and a 3 day old black Angus bull calf for $110. This was about 1:30 PM Ga time, 12:30 PM your time. It is about 4 hours from Calhoun to Dothan,, but dunno where you are. I dunno how well those would have done waiting around to get loaded then a 4 hour trip. I wish I had thought to get your phone number, too, before I went today.
Im right outside Montgomery. The angus bull sounds like it would have been right up my alley. Not sure about the 4 hour ride but I guess we will see how tomorrow goes.

Im right outside Montgomery. The angus bull sounds like it would have been right up my alley. Not sure about the 4 hour ride but I guess we will see how tomorrow goes.
225 miles using 75/85.Sale barn is 7 miles from I-75. Divided 4 lane all the way to I-75 with only 1 redlight. It is the Buccee's exit, @kenny thomas !

4 hours in the back seat of a pickup is no problem.

I know these things...
Screenshot_20240319-212721_Gallery.jpg
Just make sure he craps before u load him. Meh. Soap and water is cheap enough anyway.

Good luck @Down in Dixie
I feel your pain. When ya need one, ya NEED one.
Are u milking her?

Last edited:
4 hours in the back seat of a pickup is no problem.

I know these things...
View attachment 42595
Just make sure he craps before u load him. Meh. Soap and water is cheap enough anyway.

Good luck @Down in Dixie
I feel your pain. When ya need one, ya NEED one.
Are u milking her?
Not yet. I may try and get her up in the morning. Been busy with some other stuff the last few days.

Did that calf come from a cow that was sold in the same sale as the dwarf calf's cow? Same seller maybe? Same bull used? You probably know where I'm going with this.
Nope, nope, and nope. Two different sales about 130 miles apart. Two weeks between sale purchased at. Brands on cows say they came from 2 ranches over 200 miles from each other. Could they some how be related? Who knows or cares. They are just old cows.