Always one

Help Support CattleToday:

@Warren Allison closest sale today is almost a 2 hr drive. Most sales are Monday and Tuesday. I like the cow so probably keep her regardless if I find a calf. Need to get her in the chute and milk her just in case I come by a calf in a few days. I have two cows I'm culling as soon as I wean the calves off of them.

Got a guy going to try and get me a longhorn cross from the sale. Still on the cow but will be separated more than likely. There were two other pairs but he said those calves will probably go for $3-400. Hope the ugly longhorn cross pays off.

One time on the Texas ranch two old ladies had leased their 50 acres across the fence to an absentee cattle owner that lived in another part of the state. One of the ladies called us and asked for help getting a cow out of the tank. We went over there. The cow was dead in the water with a drowned calf sticking out of her that should have been pulled. I can't ever get that sight out of my mind.

Got a guy going to try and get me a longhorn cross from the sale. Still on the cow but will be separated more than likely. There were two other pairs but he said those calves will probably go for $3-400. Hope the ugly longhorn cross pays off.
I be ding-dang-damned!! Last week, this dude from down there called me and asked about buying one of our black Corriente cows. I had three 1/2 MFB cows, and a 14 month old 3/4 MFB heifer in the old dove field pasture with those Plummers I sold the rodeo guy, waiting on him to bring his MF bull over. ( He did week before last) Anyhow, I told Scott to take him over there and see if he wanted one of them, and if he did, have him call me. He called, and before he even asked how much, he started telling me about one he wanted to "trade in".... a 15 yr old Longhorn cow with a 1 month old calf. He said he had got her a year or so ago, because he was "pretty". 50/50 black and white in a Holstein pattern, with 8' horns. He said she was "hard to handle", and tore up fence and his hay rings, etc. and since the calf was born, she'd tried to kill him. He was scared of her. He had put her in a pen with a yearling bottle calf last year, a Jersey-Holstein bull, and evidently he bred her. The calf is colored like a Holstein, just more black than white, and the thing is gonna have horns. I told him I did not have any need for that cow at all. Told him the best thing he could do was grind her into hamburger, and take the hide and head to a taxidermist.. that the head mount and hide would be worth more than her or that calf would be, and to take the calf to a sale and sell as a bottle calf. He said he didn't know how to do any of that, and asked me how I would trade. I told him solid black Corr cows and heifers sell for $700-$750.. and I have seen them even higher. The 3 out there had Angus calves on them., and I told him when they were weaned end of June, they'd be around 500 lbs, and a heifer might sell for $1k or more, and a steer might sell for $1250 or more. He finally made me an offer for $1k, so I traded. ( I gave $420 a head for that herd) He brought her over last weekend, and she absolutely whupped the dog-sh*t out of that MFB, so I knew she had to go! Scott called the deer cooler where we get steers and pigs processed, and he said he would grind her for half the meat and the head and hide. He is a taxidermist, too. And we gave the calf to the vet that has our Milking Shorthorn nurse cow. She was there AI-ing some of the Plummers. Had I known, I would have given it to you at no cost. But this may have been before your calf died. The dude that got that Corr and her calf, got the best of that deal, I guarantee you.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find a cow . I have a couple heifers not doing a great job . If I could find a true milk cow I'd put 3 on her . Thanks for the offer !
I saw a post a while back where you had went to Top Golf. I assumed in Huntsville. I have seen quite a few Jerseys being sold around the sale barns close to Huntsville. No I'm not a stalker, I'm working right beside Top Golf is what made me remember that.

I saw a post a while back where you had went to Top Golf. I assumed in Huntsville. I have seen quite a few Jerseys being sold around the sale barns close to Huntsville. No I'm not a stalker, I'm working right beside Top Golf is what made me remember that.
We went to Chattanooga top golf . What sales near Huntsville are you talking about ?

$300 for a 2 month old calf is cheap in today's market. Sorry, but that is the way it is right now. 3 DAY old holsteins are bringing an average of $300 here, black ang/hol crosses are in the 5-900 range. Next to impossible to find one split off a cow for less than $500 anywhere...
@Down in Dixie , hate to tell you but you are either going to have to pay the going rate or forget a calf... and with the way things are going, it doesn't look like they are going to come down any in the foreseeable future. 2 of my dairy farms have gotten calls from the owners of 2 of the stockyards asking if they have any calves to sell since they are needing them so much.

$300 for a 2 month old calf is cheap in today's market. Sorry, but that is the way it is right now. 3 DAY old holsteins are bringing an average of $300 here, black ang/hol crosses are in the 5-900 range. Next to impossible to find one split off a cow for less than $500 anywhere...
@Down in Dixie , hate to tell you but you are either going to have to pay the going rate or forget a calf... and with the way things are going, it doesn't look like they are going to come down any in the foreseeable future. 2 of my dairy farms have gotten calls from the owners of 2 of the stockyards asking if they have any calves to sell since they are needing them so much.
Baby calves here Saturday were up to $510 and definitely weren't very old.
I probably should have bought those 2 Jerseys for $60 each, and the black angus for $110 Tuesday.!! But, I was there to try to find @coachg a nurse cow. I didn't bid on a 900 lb brindled Corr with a 350 lb black calf, that sold for $560. In retrospect, I could have told them to weigh the calf, and it probably would have paid for the pair. Didn't bid on a Corr cow 8 months bred to an Angus that sold for $485 either. And they had 2 yearling Corr heifers that probably weighed 500 lbs each, that sold for the un-Godly sum of $550 each. I was not tempted to bid on them. The man that did buy them, has an arena and holds team roping practices and jackpots. These 2 were just the right size and had the perfect horns for that, so that's why he bid so high. And they were red & white spotted. Solid colored. especially black,. Corrs bring more money for cows to breed to black beef bulls. Only other cow i was interested in was Brahma. But, they weighed her and she wasn't marked preg either, so that was a red flag, She was 1493 lbs and sold for $1.34/lb. If she was a sound brood cow, even open, I figured they would have sold her by the head, because she would have brought $2500 or more. But, I didn't want to have any cows I had to haul to south GA, if I had found Coach a nurse cow that needed hauling west to north Alabama.

If my nurse cows weren't 3 hours away in south Ga, I might have bought those 3 bottle calves. They sold after the head cows, horses, pigs, sheep and goats, so I already knew I wasn't gonna get a nurse cow for Coach by then. Those 2 Jerseys, though, they carried into the ring and had to stand them up, then carried them out, So, they may not have survived the trip anyway. It would be nearly 4 hours to carry one to @Down in Dixie , too.

I probably should have bought those 2 Jerseys for $60 each, and the black angus for $110 Tuesday.!! But, I was there to try to find @coachg a nurse cow. I didn't bid on a 900 lb brindled Corr with a 350 lb black calf, that sold for $560. In retrospect, I could have told them to weigh the calf, and it probably would have paid for the pair. Didn't bid on a Corr cow 8 months bred to an Angus that sold for $485 either. And they had 2 yearling Corr heifers that probably weighed 500 lbs each, that sold for the un-Godly sum of $550 each. I was not tempted to bid on them. The man that did buy them, has an arena and holds team roping practices and jackpots. These 2 were just the right size and had the perfect horns for that, so that's why he bid so high. And they were red & white spotted. Solid colored. especially black,. Corrs bring more money for cows to breed to black beef bulls. Only other cow i was interested in was Brahma. But, they weighed her and she wasn't marked preg either, so that was a red flag, She was 1493 lbs and sold for $1.34/lb. If she was a sound brood cow, even open, I figured they would have sold her by the head, because she would have brought $2500 or more. But, I didn't want to have any cows I had to haul to south GA, if I had found Coach a nurse cow that needed hauling west to north Alabama.

If my nurse cows weren't 3 hours away in south Ga, I might have bought those 3 bottle calves. They sold after the head cows, horses, pigs, sheep and goats, so I already knew I wasn't gonna get a nurse cow for Coach by then. Those 2 Jerseys, though, they carried into the ring and had to stand them up, then carried them out, So, they may not have survived the trip anyway. It would be nearly 4 hours to carry one to @Down in Dixie , too.
Has changing the sale date from Thursday to Tuesday helped or hurt the sale? One at Athens TN is Tuesday also and that's not far away.

Has changing the sale date from Thursday to Tuesday helped or hurt the sale? One at Athens TN is Tuesday also and that's not far away.
They don't seem to have as many these days, and the prices are lower, Good place to buy , if they have some you want. Ft Payne and other ALA sales are all on Tuesday as well. I have been meaning to ask them why they moved it to Tuesday. THey are having a special stock cow sale this Saturday. Cows started coming in today. I am gonna try to go and see how they do. With everything being on Tuesday around here, I think it lowers the prices, due to not as many cows and thus not as many buyers there. I have long noticed that cattle on the online sales I watch, are always lower priced in the KY sales. Ky has 5 or more per day online...dunno how many more are not online. For most of my life the biggest sale in north GA was in Cartersville on Saturday. Rome was on Wednesday, Carrolton on Monday,. .I forgot where they had a good one on Thursday...Cummings or Canton I think... but none of them were ae good as Cartersville. Head cattle alone sold from 12 til 4PM or so, then the weigh cattle started. When it closed about 10-15 years ago, I just knew someone else would change to Saturday, but none did. Rome had closed a few years before Cartersville did. All the dairies going out of business in the 90's had a lot to do with it, I guess.

1711045564608.png