Always one

Help Support CattleToday:

Did that calf come from a cow that was sold in the same sale as the dwarf calf's cow? Same seller maybe? Same bull used? You probably know where I'm going with this.
I was telling a friend about this calf today. He said he had a neighbor who had calves affected by Lupine that came out this way. His neighbor said none of these calves survived. I know that Lupine eaten at a certain stage of pregnancy will cause major birth defects. The majority of these calves I have seen have seriously deformed legs. If none of the cleft palate calves survive would be the reason I had never seen or thought about this as a cause. Also make me wonder about the dwarf calf that died at birth. Lupine is a serious issue in some areas of the PNW.

I was telling a friend about this calf today. He said he had a neighbor who had calves affected by Lupine that came out this way. His neighbor said none of these calves survived. I know that Lupine eaten at a certain stage of pregnancy will cause major birth defects. The majority of these calves I have seen have seriously deformed legs. If none of the cleft palate calves survive would be the reason I had never seen or thought about this as a cause. Also make me wonder about the dwarf calf that died at birth. Lupine is a serious issue in some areas of the PNW.
I had a neighbor a couple of years ago that somehow acquired a 600# calf with some serious deformities, mostly leg issues. It looked like the calf's joints were malformed, some overly large. I felt bad for it, but it would occasionally jump around and play like it was happy. And it ate well, and grew. The neighbor ended up butchering it and as far as I know it was decent meat. Maybe Lupine? I have no idea. I would have out the calf down at birth. But I guess it all worked out for filling a freezer.

Latest posts