The life of 0822

Help Support CattleToday:

smnherf

Reaction score
I noticed I had several pictures of this heifer calf and her mother from spring through the summer and into fall. You can see her as she gets bigger. Not often get to do that. The dates are on the pictures.

DSCN1946.JPG

This is my mom. About 3 weeks after calving

DSCN2039.JPG

This is me in June. Just got done walking to summer pasture. It was a long walk, but it was worth it.

DSCN2045.JPG

Me and my mom and life is good.

DSCN2122.JPG

A couple weeks later.

DSCN2138.JPG

my sister enjoying life too.

DSCN2991.JPG

Its September now and its been a good summer.

DSCN31231.JPG

I still like my mom, but where did the green grass go?
This is the same pen as the last picture only about 2 weeks later. Same barn in background

DSCN31261.JPG

I like to show off a little

Maybe some more as I get older?

What a pretty girl! She looks really good, its neat to see the sequenced pictures. That summer pasture looks absolutely beautiful I am longing for some green grass!!!

Brian, I saw the pictures and knew there most have been some sort of story to them. She's a nice little calf and mom looks like a real good cow.

Thanks for the comments. I thought some people might like to see a a little green. I take quite a few pictures throughout the spring and summer and have been recently going through and sorting out the ones I like and don't like and I thought I would share. We had about the best grazing conditions I can remember.

For those who asked. The cow is a 3 yr old DR World Class 10H daughter and the calf is sired by my Mackintosh 0232 bull that I have posted on this site a few times. I like the cow quite a bit too, but honestly I would like to see her a little deeper sided.

ever any issues w/eyes seeing as how theyre all whitefaced w/o any pigments. alway7s heard it was bad to not have any color around the eyes

dieselbeef":2aid94t9 said:
ever any issues w/eyes seeing as how theyre all whitefaced w/o any pigments. alway7s heard it was bad to not have any color around the eyes

Bad in terms of what?

Actually the heifer calf is 100% pigmented and I beleive that the cow is too or at least she is almost 100%.

Her she is a little closer picture.

DSCN20441.JPG

I really don't have much eye trouble.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

Dieselbeef, if all herefords had eyes like this pair the breed probably wouldn't have had the bad reputation for eyes.

Smnherf I am surprised with how good this heifer's eyes are, didn't expect that from your Mac bull.

KNERSIE":2f7d6poi said:
Dieselbeef, if all herefords had eyes like this pair the breed probably wouldn't have had the bad reputation for eyes.

Smnherf I am surprised with how good this heifer's eyes are, didn't expect that from your Mac bull.

I don't know specifically what Dieselbeef was refering to, whether it was cancer eye or pink eye. But when it comes to cancer eye all the pigment in the world or the most perfect eye set you can imagine isn't going to fix it. The cancer eye issue is a hereditary issue. It is passed from one generation to the other by DNA. If breeders would have just sold the cows that had it and not used bulls from cows that had it, it wouldn't have ever been a problem. It still is true today. Some breeders pay attention to it and some don't ever keep their cows around long enough to find out by having cow sales every year.

I am not surprised at all by the eyes sired by Mac. If you have seen the bull in person, or seen the cow family and seen all the half sisters that I own of him you wouldn't be either. Are they perfect, no I realize that, but few cattle are perfect in any trait. One picture of a bull doesn't necessarily show the whole story. Camera angles play a big role. We can get all hung up on one specific trait and let a lot of other things get away from us.

I have long stressed the trouble free cow. I don't have time pull calves or to help calves nurse, and certainly don't have any use for cattle that I have to cull for feet, udders, fertility, bad eyes, prolapse. I have been working at it for a long time and I feel I am where I want to and need to be.

Brian

not bashing anyones animals just wondering as ive always been told to stay away from cows w/all white around the eyes. i dont see many herefords round here tho so.
eye cancer was what i was referring to.
not ever having dealt with it i was just curious. seems to matter to some people and some cows and not others.
again ..no offense i wasnt bashing anyones choices i was just satisfyin my own curiousity

dieselbeef":1o97igjx said:
not bashing anyones animals just wondering as ive always been told to stay away from cows w/all white around the eyes. i dont see many herefords round here tho so.
eye cancer was what i was referring to.
not ever having dealt with it i was just curious. seems to matter to some people and some cows and not others.
again ..no offense i wasnt bashing anyones choices i was just satisfyin my own curiousity

No offense taken at all Dieselbeef. I figured that was what you were talking about. Lots of myths out there. Cancer eye is a heritable trait. I have seen solid red cows get cancer eye so selecting for pigment isn't a guarantee. I will take pigment if I can get it, but if I know the pedigree is cancer eye free, I tend to focus on more economic traits.

Brian

Latest posts