the law of S.A.

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
THE LAW OF S.A.

Two recent court cases have earned the attention of one newspaper reader in South Africa .

One person was fined R1000 for not having a TV license.

Another was released on bail for R500 after being arrested for
murder.

The moral of this South African story:

If you do not have a TV license and the inspector comes round, kill him.

It's the right thing to do. And you'll save R500.

chrisy":99sge1go said:
THE LAW OF S.A.

Two recent court cases have earned the attention of one newspaper reader in South Africa .

One person was fined R1000 for not having a TV license.

Another was released on bail for R500 after being arrested for
murder.

The moral of this South African story:

If you do not have a TV license and the inspector comes round, kill him.

It's the right thing to do. And you'll save R500.

chrisy

Unlike the U.K. and other assorted countries there is no requirement for a television license in North America.

I think folks may find this aspect alone quite interesting.

Bez!

VanC":b3xd2vi5 said:
Chrisy- I've never heard of anyone needing a television license. Is this true? Why? Not trying to be facetious, just curious.

yes it is true, if we don't pay our £160 (about $300 or so) a year, we get a £1000 ($1900 or so) fine and or a 6 months prison sentance. It is one payment reguardless of how many TV's you have in the house. why is a good question as all the rubbish (Garbage) they put on repeats after repeats, they say it is because the BBC is a privately owned company and we have to pay them revinue to recieve the channel, so there is money to make new programmes, there is no way of getting out of it as all TV sets can pick up the BBC, the Government probably have a cut of the money I am not sure. They do In VAT taxes on the money paid. Hard to believe but yes true. and we have to pay on top of that if you have satalite TV, or cable. so for my family it is about £688 ($1370 or so) a year, to watch TV. :mad: hope this has answered your question mad I know. but what can you do, it is boring with no TV at all, and I like to see the NEWS so I know what's going on in the world. We used to up until the early 1960's have to have a radio licence, as well. but glad that is no more.
There is no getting away from it as they send out detector vans and they can pick up signals if you are using a TV, and send an Inspector round with a warrent. For a court appearance. there are no excuses, you do get a reduced fee if you or a member of the family is registered blind it is then half the fee if blind and on your own or three quarters if with a family, and when you get to 75 years old it is also half.

Is it issued to the residence or the person? I wonder what happens if you move during the year.

:shock: $300.00/year tax, plus the cable/satellite bill for the trash on tv? I don't think so!!

Do you pay a TV tax if it is only used for dvd's, vcr's, etc? I have gone w/o broadcast TV before and would do it agian if it were taxed.

dj":asnctzra said:
Is it issued to the residence or the person? I wonder what happens if you move during the year.

it is to the residence, if you move you let them know and transfer your licence to the new home. It is not a tax by the government, it is a fee to watch the BBC.

if you can prove that the set you have can not pick up any TV channels and if solely for DVD'S and VCR's I think you can do that, have never tried.

I know it is strange that you have to pay if you are registered blind but the argument is someone might be with you that can see, and you can still hear, if you are deaf you get no discount :roll:

chrisy":1yih3634 said:
VanC":1yih3634 said:
Chrisy- I've never heard of anyone needing a television license. Is this true? Why? Not trying to be facetious, just curious.

yes it is true, if we don't pay our £160 (about $300 or so) a year, we get a £1000 ($1900 or so) fine and or a 6 months prison sentance. It is one payment reguardless of how many TV's you have in the house. why is a good question as all the rubbish (Garbage) they put on repeats after repeats, they say it is because the BBC is a privately owned company and we have to pay them revinue to recieve the channel, so there is money to make new programmes, there is no way of getting out of it as all TV sets can pick up the BBC, the Government probably have a cut of the money I am not sure. They do In VAT taxes on the money paid. Hard to believe but yes true. and we have to pay on top of that if you have satalite TV, or cable. so for my family it is about £688 ($1370 or so) a year, to watch TV. :mad: hope this has answered your question mad I know. but what can you do, it is boring with no TV at all, and I like to see the NEWS so I know what's going on in the world. We used to up until the early 1960's have to have a radio licence, as well. but glad that is no more.
There is no getting away from it as they send out detector vans and they can pick up signals if you are using a TV, and send an Inspector round with a warrent. For a court appearance. there are no excuses, you do get a reduced fee if you or a member of the family is registered blind it is then half the fee if blind and on your own or three quarters if with a family, and when you get to 75 years old it is also half.

WOW! We're overtaxed here, but if they tried that we'd probably have another revolution. ;-)

do you have to pay that even if you only watch tv from rabbit ears? i wouldnt watch no more tv for sure! dont watch much as it is, but that would cure me for sure. wow... interesting.

RebelCritter":3kqgwhaw said:
do you have to pay that even if you only watch tv from rabbit ears? i wouldnt watch no more tv for sure! dont watch much as it is, but that would cure me for sure. wow... interesting.

rabbit ears!??? I don't watch much either but when you have kids, it hard not to have one when everyone else has.

Latest posts