The Catahoula Leopard dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Not all labs are the same. I have bred labs with entirely different personalities within the same litter. If you get one from a high drive hunting line, you will have a VERY active dog.
Just remember to research genetic defects for any pure bred dog that you choose. Question the breeder about genetic defect testing and clearance on the pups.
OR just go adopt from a shelter. That's even better!

If you are looking for a breed for protection, look for a doberman. They are very loyal family dogs.
Yet again, just don't buy from any breeder. Be sure to see the parents and how the breeder treats and handles the dogs.
Many homeowner insurance policies and insurance companies do not like pit bulls and should something happen, you could find yourself in a pickle.
I have a friend who has a pit bull who is a very nice dog, but she has had the devil of a time finding a landlord that will allow a pit.

Or check into your local pound for a puppy. Many mutts make excellent family and watch dogs.

However, I don't know what your budget is. I've noticed that good quality purebred dogs are a bit expensive. Hundreds of dollars and more.

branguscowgirl":23h2g51f said:
Not all labs are the same. I have bred labs with entirely different personalities within the same litter.
If you get one from a high drive hunting line, you will have a VERY active dog.
Just remember to research genetic defects for any pure bred dog that you choose. Question the breeder about genetic defect testing and clearance on the pups.
OR just go adopt from a shelter. That's even better!

The last folks who bought one of my puppies found this out the hard way. Those poor old hippies never knew what hit them.

Okay. I have been really looking into shelters. Around here dogs will only spend about 2 days in a shelter before getting a home which makes it quite hard to adopt though I really would prefer adopting over buying.

OwnedByTheCow":37sh9ry0 said:
Okay. I have been really looking into shelters. Around here dogs will only spend about 2 days in a shelter before getting a home which makes it quite hard to adopt though I really would prefer adopting over buying.
Wow, that is a very unusual shelter! Here in CA our shelters and rescues are filled beyond their capacity with dogs being destroyed every day!! The rescue organizations will sometimes ship or transport dogs to you. Branch out to neighboring cities. Google rescues organizations for certain breeds. (They take mixed breeds also.) For example by the state that you are in........"German Shepard rescue in CA."

I've grown up with Aussies and they're great. They will bond with your family and they are protective of them. You just have to put the time in to bond with them and discipline them, and you have to give them something to do. They will naturally work. The one I have now will watch what I'm doing with the cows and start helping without command, and if I tell her "no" she'll stop. They're super intelligent and loving. They also have long lifespans (12/14-18 yrs), so it's not like you get attached and then it dies 5-10 years later. Do your research before you buy one though. There's a lot to know to make sure you don't buy one from a stupid breeder.

We also have a Great Pyrenees (someone mentioned them). As long as you socialize them early on they will be great. Ours spent most of his life alone with sheep before he got to our house (they sold the sheet and he traveled a few miles to our goat). Driven to take care of the goat and coming back, the owners finally told us to keep him. They have a great temperament and great with kids and are protective. Ours patrols about an perimeter around our house throughout the night, sleeping in different places.

And.. not like it needs to be covered, but I've grown up with Labs too, and they're wonderful. The one I have now is so loyal; they all have been. We've got a Golden Retriever too.. he's also great!

branguscowgirl":3tuvmt5h said:
OwnedByTheCow":3tuvmt5h said:
Wow, that is a very unusual shelter! Here in CA our shelters and rescues are filled beyond their capacity with dogs being destroyed every day!! The rescue organizations will sometimes ship or transport dogs to you. Branch out to neighboring cities. Google rescues organizations for certain breeds. (They take mixed breeds also.) For example by the state that you are in........"German Shepard rescue in CA."

Yes in New England there are almost no dog shelters besides the Humane society i really want to adopt one but my parents want to get one from a breeder because they know where they are coming from and they know the parents personality but my opinion is that a rescue would be better because they would be more likely to know the dogs personality and they would not adopt out a dog that is not suitable for someone.

We have a lot of rescues here, and the dogs usually have evaluations and spend some time in foster care so that their personalities can be observed. Plus, you could maybe save a life. :D

OwnedByTheCow":pg15v4od said:
I really want to adopt one.

I'm gonna say something here that is not very politically correct and will irritate some people.

I have adopted 2 and been around 5 or 6 other adopted dogs. They all come with "issues" . They will not show up at first and usually at that magic 3 week mark. Unless you are the dog whisperer, changing them can be near dang impossible (older dogs). Just a fair warning. Now if you get a puppy that is under say 14 weeks or so you are probably OK. Not saying they all have problems but there is a special imprinting period for a dog that is hard to overcome. This is a bit hard to articulate over the computer and I am a huge dog person. I hate all the craigslist ads that people put on getting rid of dogs because they had a kid or something, its disgusting. I know they all need homes, but just be prepared.

Ryan

you just cant beat german shorthaired pointers.we had 1 when i was going up and i loved that old dog.

OwnedByTheCow":33gkxiie said:
Thanks. We are till looking for some but I found a couple on puppy finder
"Puppy Finder" is very expensive! I found the prices to be extremely inflated on that site. I do not know if it is because of the commission or what.......

branguscowgirl":llxxerfj said:
OwnedByTheCow":llxxerfj said:
Thanks. We are till looking for some but I found a couple on puppy finder
"Puppy Finder" is very expensive! I found the prices to be extremely inflated on that site. I do not know if it is because of the commission or what.......
yes they are very expensive.

Latest posts