The Catahoula Leopard dog

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
Okay so my family has been looking at different dog breeds for quite a while. We really like the Catahoula Leopard dog but everything I have read has a lot of different opinions about temperaments. Would this breed be a good family dog. Opinions please. :help:

Very good dogs as long as they are provided a job. dont expect to contain in small area(pen) for long lenght of time. cousin has one is smart as can be . my area they are hard to find if in wild hog country they will be easier to locate. most will be stand offish with strangers. if u have kids they will be fine addition to farm. (popular with horse stable folks to keep varmits down)

OwnedByTheCow":3fcn26cw said:
How are they hunting like would you consider them to go hunting deer or larger animals too?
Just curious what sort of larger than deer would you be hunting?

I have two plus a few dogs with some in there somewhere. Disposition is not at all a problem so far. I disposed of one full catahoula for his lack of willingness to please anyone except himself but his full brother is still here and likely one of the best dogs of any breed I'll ever own. In fact I like them so much that I don't care if they work cattle or not, I'll have at least one around anyway.
I don't hunt a whole lot but the neat thing about these dogs is that they do whatever I'm doing and figure out a way to help out. I haven't seen one with an ounce of bred in cow sense but they figure out how to work cows anyway because that's what I do with them.
Disposition wise the worst thing that I've seen so far(and I consider it a good thing) is that they don't back down EVER. Even when they play fight it's war and they expect the other team to play just as hard. :lol: My kids put all of my dogs to the test disposition wise and there is not a dog on this place that I wouldn't trust with ANY kid but if a catahoula ever thinks they're being challenged by someone they don't know it's not going to be pretty. They seem pretty indifferent to strangers and if someone wants to friends they're fine with that but aggression will be met with very real aggression. :nod:

I would say no as a family dog. I had Catahoula's when I was younger and single with no problems. But I wanted a bad azz dog and would put them up when someone came over. Since I've been married now for 30 years I've had 2 and had to put both down. They are one person dogs and don't do very well around strangers. The first one would bite anyone who he decided he didn't like and was fine with kids and our family.. The second one was great until he attacked my wife and tried to kill her. She fed the dog everyday and he would follow her around everywhere she went. And she was the only person that he ever bit. I would like to try another Catahoula but my wife is not going to let me. There's no doubt in her mind that Gumbo would of killed her if it wasn't for her dog attacking him.

I like them but wouldn't have one as a family dog. I had one and he was very alpha would go around peeing on other dogs or people. He would pee all over my golden retriever and try to pee on the wife I thought it was funny but she didn't. If I was getting a family dog I would get a border collie, lab, retriever, heeler or a great Pyrenees. A friend has a Pyrenees and his kids ride that thing like a horse and it don't care will drag them around all day.

Our Catahoula Leopard is a very good family dog. Our 6 year old is very well protected. He actually stood by her side, she would grab him, he took a step, she had to step. He helped her learn to walk. My husband gets annoyed because he walks in front of you. I just know it is what they do. He is a bed hog, even though he is supposed to sleep on his "house", big big crate on our room. Wake up anytime after about 2 am and he is between us like a third person. He doesn't like vuturea and runs them off if they think about hanging our around our place. He has put a bull down to his knees before by grabbing him bu the nose and we didn't teach him anything to do with the cows. That bull had a different attitude around me after that day.

I am always going to say labs for a family dog! I have raised and been around more good labs than in any other breed. My sister raised Aussies and Border Collies. Great ranch dogs but never met one that I would trust 100%. One of the "loving family dogs" (Aussie) attacked my 2 year old grandson last year.

If a puppy is raised in the family, the temperament will OK for a family. I wouldn't bring in a grown dog into a family with children. That said, you wouldn't want to do that with just any dog anyway. Temperament is all in how a dog was raised and who it was raised with. The history and origin of the Catahoula is really an unknown. Catahoulas are working dogs, just like a Border Collie. They need to be worked to be happy and they do not do well with isolation. Catahoulas down here in LA are used mostly as a bay dog during pig hunting and are used for deer hunting too. They have a good nose, so they can track pretty well.

Great dog breed to have. Are there better breeds, yes. However, it all depends what the use of the dog will be. I have a 65 lbs lab that thinks she is the size of a 5 lbs Chihuahua when she tries to climb in your lap, a 5.2 lbs Chihuahua who thinks he is the size of the 65 lbs lab when he hears a fly land on the wall, and a 32 lbs Boston Terrier who looks like a Bulldog but is a big chicken.

Do you want a working dog or a family pet?
Many folks around here use Catahoula and Catahoula crosses as hog dogs and they are popular with working cowboys as cattle dogs, especially in areas that you can't ride a horse in. They will go bring a cow out of the brush.Those dogs are far from being pets and very often are kept kenneled to keep them out of trouble.

Working breeds do not always make a family dog that people want. Much has to do with the parents disposition and work ethic.

highgrit -- They are one person dogs and don't do very well around strangers.

This is true. Our youngest daughter, Dot, has a Catahoula cross that is 5 months old. He is her dog. He likes all of our family, but he is not good at all with strangers. He is OK with the livestock. One of the milk cows kicked him in the head, so he is cautious about getting behind one now.

If you want a family dog, I agree with Branguscowgirl about Labradors. They are great dogs, but are not that good if you have poultry. You have to keep an eye on them. They will catch your chickens and bring them to you, and the poor dog doesn't understand why you are not happy with it.

One of the toughest men I ever knew came back from Loosiana with one about 20 years ago. This guy was a Sate Patrolman and was shot in the line of duty. He took the gun from the guy AFTER he shot him and rammed it thru his front teeth and blew 1/2 of his head off. That was for background. So about 3 years after he and Bo came home from the south I go over there and don't see the dog. I ask him where's your pooch. He says, graveyard dead. Then he tells me he got dammed tired of wondering when his own dog was gonna kill or maim him so he shot the sucker.......cured me of wanting a Catahoula.

Apparently the dog had taken to looking at him like a ham sandwich when he was not looking. Told me he was more scared of that dog than anything ever in his life and believe me that's saying something.

3waycross":17ni59la said:
One of the toughest men I ever knew came back from Loosiana with one about 20 years ago. This guy was a Sate Patrolman and was shot in the line of duty. He took the gun from the guy AFTER he shot him and rammed it thru his front teeth and blew 1/2 of his head off. That was for background. So about 3 years after he and Bo came home from the south I go over there and don't see the dog. I ask him where's your pooch. He says, graveyard dead. Then he tells me he got dammed tired of wondering when his own dog was gonna kill or maim him so he shot the sucker.......cured me of wanting a Catahoula.

Apparently the dog had taken to looking at him like a ham sandwich when he was not looking. Told me he was more scared of that dog than anything ever in his life and believe me that's saying something.

Yikes!

Talking about dog breeds is about as hard as discussing cattle breeds. Certain folks just don't have it for certain breeds. Here in WI labs bite more people than any other breed. I would say that you have to do your homework on the parents and possibly the line if buy papered. I prefer Heelers, but they are not for everybody. They need a strong, firm, and fair hand. They will test their boundaries often as youngsters. I find your normal herding breeds to be the most loyal and trustworthy of all dogs, my opinion. With that said, if they are not raised around kids then they will treat them like an annoying cat. It all has to do with socialization. I have never met a Australian shepherd that I did not like. They seem to be pretty easy going and easily trained. That's my suggestion.

It is very true that you have to do your research into the genetics of any breed that you choose. The parents dispositions are a big factor. Certain lines of any breed can be good or bad for your intended use.
For what it's worth,( though they are "bird dogs") our labs have been easily trained to except the chickens as part of the family and live perfectly well with them. I have found that they can be very protective and loving to all the farm animals that they know belong there. They may kill those critters that do not. :D

The last dog we had was a lab and I loved him but I've really found with the labs around here is that they have the same personality always. My best friend had two labs as well and both of them act the same as my dog did. Same personality and everything. The only reason I don't want a lab is because of that. I really want a breed that is more active and a little more protective than a lab I really want a pitbull but my mom thinks they are to aggressive.

Latest posts