Teachers with guns

Help Support CattleToday:

Va rescinded it's reciprocity to several states when the last Gov was elected because the other states did not meet "our strict standards". I do not remember who still qualified. I was totally against the reduction in reciprocity.
I think if teachers want and are comfortable carrying, they should be able to. Meeting some minimum standards of mental and emotional stability, proficiency etc would be good. But if a teacher is willing to try to protect their students, unarmed, I think they would be more than willing to protect them by taking out the shooter. Some training and such should be required, for school situations are different than day to day things. But I do believe that it might save some lives.
And we need to figure out why some of these "threats" that are reported are just ignored like this last situation. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOPPED LONG BEFORE IT GOT TO THIS POINT.

Hunter":3otgdsbw said:
They did pass it but permitless carriers do not get reciprocity in all other states, only a few, 4(?).
Going to assume those few are the ones that also allow permitless carriers.

In the article I posted it states that if one has a valid CC permit they are given reciprocity in 34 (?) other states.

Yes. Reciprocity applies on the CC. I thought there were about 40 states that now honor other state's permits.

I think any teacher that's proficient with a gun and trains yearly should be paid accordingly, at least time and a half. All the firearms training doesn't guarantee you success, a lot of the cops choke when it comes to defending themselves, and can't hit the broad side of a barn when under stress.

JW IN VA":dxoh4skx said:
I'm all for it if:
1/ The staff member is psyc evaled.
2/They train under police standards.
3/They requalify annually
4/Any questionable actions or behavior changes would automatically suspend their carry until cleared
No different than the way we treat our Law Enforcement people.

The only person to lay down somewhat of a plan, not just broad support.

Craig Miller":2bp8xhf6 said:
JW IN VA":2bp8xhf6 said:
I'm all for it if:
1/ The staff member is psyc evaled.
2/They train under police standards.
3/They requalify annually
4/Any questionable actions or behavior changes would automatically suspend their carry until cleared
No different than the way we treat our Law Enforcement people.

The only person to lay down somewhat of a plan, not just broad support.

Texas already has the training and standards.

https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/school-marshals

The guns in Texas are kept in a gun safe in the classroom. All classrooms have the safe but only teachers that have the desire and training actually have a gun. They require a fingerprint to open if the gun is actually needed. Would work well as long as the teacher is in the classroom.

Why is it not possible to secure our Schools as well as we secure our Court Houses and Judges?

I don't know why everyone is too lazy to figure it out for them selves and believe everything they are told on tv, but the elephant in the room is not guns, it's SSRI medications. When I was in school there was always one or two kids who had to go to the nurses office to take there medication, now there is a line of kids every morning taking medications that have warning labels that state the side effects include depression,suicide,homicide or all 3. You'll never hear it on tv because pharmaceutical companies are there biggest revenue for commercials. Don't believe me, research it yourself, ask a principal or school nurse, I don't even think some of the teachers themselves even realize because it's happening before class. Of all the shootings in the past 20 years all were on "medication" except maybe 3 and they may have been as well, just no one can prove or disprove it. educate yourself. Don't believe me or anything you see on tv. Do the research and make up your own mind. The real victims are the shooters being pumped full of powerful drugs. They are not acting in there own mind. It's the fault of corporate greed and parents who believe anything or take anything a doctor tells them. Doctors know no more than you or me about mental health, only what they are told by the drug manufacturers and AMA. These are very powerful drugs that allow you to function while the brain is sleeping and should be as illegal as heroin. Agree or disagree, but not till you do the research and make up your own mind. Sorry for the rant, so sick of this it's the guns fault bs portrayed by the media. I wasn't exactly a good kid in school and got kicked out of 3 and saw psychologist and psychiatrist and so glad my parents said NO to any of their bs medications. I'm now a very happy and successful adult. These legal drugs are worse than any illegal drug by 10 fold. It's just no one wants to believe it. Or they believe anything that are told. The shootings will NOT stop till WE stop drugging our children.

20% of k-12 teachers in the US would be 800,000 guns in our schools being carried by people who are already overloaded with tasks and students. That is 800,000 guns that will need to be constantly monitored and secured perfectly lest they fall into the wrong hands. In the event of an active shooting event, that teacher that has access to a firearm suddenly would be tasked with accurately selecting the threat and engaging. Trained police officers usually miss their intended target multiple times. The teacher that is acting on adrenalin and fear must not shoot another teacher or student. The police arriving on that scene must not be confused by the knowledge that the armed adult they just encountered may be a teacher. This approach seems based on an emotional desire to win a war on our kids like we win any other war instead of a reasoned approach to preventing or reducing the access to guns by people with suicidal and homicidal motivations.

If explosives were easily available and unregulated, we would have a serious issue with public bombings by these mentally ill individuals.

I think we have cut funding to our schools in some dangerous ways. We got rid of shop class and vocational ed courses. We have cut funding to our guidance counselors and switched their responsibilities to overseeing standardized testing. When I was in school, they were the first line of defense when a teacher had a child they recognized as struggling or in trouble. They also helped guide us in our selection of a career path and course selection. Let's arm the counselors with the tools and funding they need to help our kids before they become the next active shooter. That is the only weapon we have that doesn't lead to unintended consequences and collateral damage.

I carry. I understand the responsibility that is involved with having a firearm under my control and the situational awareness that is required. I hope I am never in a position to use it but I really hope I'm not trying to use it against an AR15 in the hands of someone with a plan and the element of surprise. This just isn't a well thought out suggestion. It's the kind of thing that we have come into our head but it should just die right there by thinking it through.

kerley":1ukooxx9 said:
Why is it not possible to secure our Schools as well as we secure our Court Houses and Judges?

I'm not sure if it is like this for all schools but my local high school is an open campus. There are over 5 buildings spanning over 20 acres that the students have to go between at least 6 times a day. It would be impossible to control who came in and out. The whole student body is not in a single building, it may be safer that way. But there are more doors entering and exiting that school than you read about. It just would not be practical. It may be practical for a one building school but not all.

OwnedByTheCow":1f83fbjg said:
kerley":1f83fbjg said:

I'm not sure if it is like this for all schools but my local high school is an open campus. There are over 5 buildings spanning over 20 acres that the students have to go between at least 6 times a day. It would be impossible to control who came in and out. The whole student body is not in a single building, it may be safer that way. But there are more doors entering and exiting that school than you read about. It just would not be practical. It may be practical for a one building school but not all.
Why could they not fence in, with a fence similar to what around minimum security prisons, 20 acres it done all the time. NOTHING is impossible just depends on how bad they want to do it.

RayfromTX":1fl4tse7 said:
20% of k-12 teachers in the US would be 800,000 guns in our schools being carried by people who are already overloaded with tasks and students. That is 800,000 guns that will need to be constantly monitored and secured perfectly lest they fall into the wrong hands. In the event of an active shooting event, that teacher that has access to a firearm suddenly would be tasked with accurately selecting the threat and engaging. Trained police officers usually miss their intended target multiple times. The teacher that is acting on adrenalin and fear must not shoot another teacher or student. The police arriving on that scene must not be confused by the knowledge that the armed adult they just encountered may be a teacher. This approach seems based on an emotional desire to win a war on our kids like we win any other war instead of a reasoned approach to preventing or reducing the access to guns by people with suicidal and homicidal motivations.

If explosives were easily available and unregulated, we would have a serious issue with public bombings by these mentally ill individuals.

I think we have cut funding to our schools in some dangerous ways. We got rid of shop class and vocational ed courses. We have cut funding to our guidance counselors and switched their responsibilities to overseeing standardized testing. When I was in school, they were the first line of defense when a teacher had a child they recognized as struggling or in trouble. They also helped guide us in our selection of a career path and course selection. Let's arm the counselors with the tools and funding they need to help our kids before they become the next active shooter. That is the only weapon we have that doesn't lead to unintended consequences and collateral damage.

I carry. I understand the responsibility that is involved with having a firearm under my control and the situational awareness that is required. I hope I am never in a position to use it but I really hope I'm not trying to use it against an AR15 in the hands of someone with a plan and the element of surprise. This just isn't a well thought out suggestion. It's the kind of thing that we have come into our head but it should just die right there by thinking it through.
Valid concerns, but have the cops ever showed up and ended a mass shooting? (Honest question) It seems like the shooters have either left the building or have committed suicide before the cops get there. It seems most shooters go into the situation knowing they won't come out alive and probably don't want too. As soon as they here someone shooting back they take their own lives or flee. It seems to me the sooner the shooter is engaged the sooner it ends and more lives will be saved. The Florida shooting is an exception of course. I don't know why he quit shooting and started running. If teachers are under control enough to try and shield students from flying bullets, they would probably be the ones that would engage the shooter.

kerley":2qsn2bv6 said:
Because a shooting at the Court House doesn't have the shock value of shooting school kids, so media attention not
as great and if you're a shooter looking for fame/attention not as desirable target.

True Grit Farms":1bfnt5fr said:
I think any teacher that's proficient with a gun and trains yearly should be paid accordingly, at least time and a half. All the firearms training doesn't guarantee you success, a lot of the cops choke when it comes to defending themselves, and can't hit the broad side of a barn when under stress.
Screw the extra pay, because you'll attract those only seeking extra pay and that type will be where accidents and
bad news come from. I do agree teachers that meet your outlined standards should be allowed to if they choose.

Son of Butch":1nuswmcp said:
True Grit Farms":1nuswmcp said:
Screw the extra pay, because you'll attract those only seeking extra pay and that type will be where accidents and
bad news come from. I do agree teachers that meet your outlined standards should be allowed to if they choose.

Why should a teacher be required to meet any more standards than what the general public has to for CC? I don't believe in punishing someone because their a teacher and want to CC. Teachers get paid extra for continuing education, so why not add gun training to the list.

True Grit Farms":22kby49d said:
Son of Butch":22kby49d said:
True Grit Farms":22kby49d said:

Why should a teacher be required to meet any more standards than what the general public has to for CC? I don't believe in punishing someone because their a teacher and want to CC. Teachers get paid extra for continuing education, so why not add gun training to the list.
Fine pay your liberal teachers that will bring a gun to collect extra pay, but leave the bullets at home on principle.
People (like the Coward County cop) that do it just for the money are useless.

Actually how dumb are they that they have to be trained yearly?
Does Ga require yearly driver training?

Latest posts