Teachers with guns

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
Just wondering what ya'll thought about teachers having guns, ON THEM, at school. Here in Mississippi, we already have an open carry law. We can, as Teachers, carry concealed, if we have the enhanced license. A lot of parents don't like the fact that their kids go to school with teachers carrying guns. Your thoughts....

rowdyred":2c8pjjof said:
Just wondering what ya'll thought about teachers having guns, ON THEM, at school. Here in Mississippi, we already have an open carry law. We can, as Teachers, carry concealed, if we have the enhanced license. A lot of parents don't like the fact that their kids go to school with teachers carrying guns. Your thoughts....

Several districts in Texas do and the teachers carry a rating with the state.
Police respond to problems, the problem with gun free zones is the bad actors know help is X time away.

I am all for it......if the teachers are well trained and mentally prepared. A school house is no place for an AD, or a gun left on the toilet paper roll.

rowdyred":yfaaoehu said:
I have no problem with it at all as long as the teachers are trained and qualified and "sane".

I'm against. Who will be certifying them? They would need more than a carry permit type class to be ready to respond mentally. Im thinking we'd be better off to hire vets. If not vets then why not use our military to guard schools? Or instead of sending our NATIONAL guard over seas use them here inside our nation the way they were meant to be used. They are already being paid. Another thing, I recently saw a video of a student body slam a male teacher. Seems like it would be pretty easy for a gun to be taken when it's attached to an untrained person.

I am strongly against any military division providing security on a school campus. That's a slippery slope.

Our state already deals the cc course adequate to carry in public. If any of those kids are in wal-mart, McDonald's, or most other places in public they are already around people who are cc. That same teacher could be cc in a restaurant right next to their student any other time.

That should not end just because they step in to a school.

I'm agin it! I would rather use the model they have in Kentucky probably best example at the Montgomery County high school.

Trained, full time security personnel. Complete monitoring in every corner. Security gate at entrance. Whole 9 yards. You can't divide time between teaching and security. Both would suffer.

I have been to Honduras and there schools have big fences , our sport stadiums have fences, It would not cost all that much to fence in out schools with a fence similar to what you would see around a minimum security prison with a check point. I would not oppose to the check point being run by National Guard.
BUT school safety is not the issue ITS THEY WANT TO TACE AWAY GUNS

I think it is a very unfortunate reality that we need to have this discussion. I was actually thinking the other day after that happened again that if teachers were armed then that may be a deterrent. They would also be able to save lives possibly quicker than having to wait on law enforcement or guards who may be in another building or location on school property. There would be a need perhaps for specific training of teachers wishing to be armed. I like the concept of having security guards on school grounds but that would come at a monetary cost which could be in my mind more justified than some other things school systems do. It would seem to me that a guard should be stationed on every floor of each building, in order to be able to act as fast as possible.

Ky hills":mncsodfm said:
I think it is a very unfortunate reality that we need to have this discussion. I was actually thinking the other day after that happened again that if teachers were armed then that may be a deterrent. They would also be able to save lives possibly quicker than having to wait on law enforcement or guards who may be in another building or location on school property. There would be a need perhaps for specific training of teachers wishing to be armed. I like the concept of having security guards on school grounds but that would come at a monetary cost which could be in my mind more justified than some other things school systems do. It would seem to me that a guard should be stationed on every floor of each building, in order to be able to act as fast as possible.

Bill,

You are in Clark County. Montgomery County is next county west. Lexington Channel 18 presented an expose on their security system. Just wondered if you have seen it?

I'm very much in favor of arming teachers. Instead of a 'security guard' on each floor, there would be one in every classroom or at least most, tho I fully expect it to be voluntary, and not a requirement. There has to be an opt out if an educator doesn't want to carry.
The 'crisis response' ability would be passive a very high % of the time, and shouldn't interfere with the primary job of teaching until needed.

However, some thought would have to be done on the additional responsibility the teachers would be saddled with. We already ask them to do 'a lot', most of which does take time and energy away from teaching, but the mental burden of what they might have to deal and live with during and after an event would be considerable.
We would be asking them to do what a very highly trained and well funded FBI failed to do in the latest school tragedy.

For it to work, there would probably have to be IMO, legislation enacted to at least limit liability from teachers in the aftermaths.

Against it. What happens the first time that gun goes off and hurts someone by accident or fault?
The school district and teacher would be sued immediately. Schools already face a lot of lawsuits.
We already have trained security officers on high school campuses in our city.
I asked about having metal detectors but that would mean having only one entrance into the school.
So, that would take over 1:30 to get all the students into the building to start the day.

Bright Raven":1njopcei said:
I'm agin it! I would rather use the model they have in Kentucky probably best example at the Montgomery County high school.

Trained, full time security personnel. Complete monitoring in every corner. Security gate at entrance. Whole 9 yards. You can't divide time between teaching and security. Both would suffer.

We should take all of the good law abiding students and put them in a lock downed facility that has guards fences and stuff. We could call it reform school. Keep all of the 2nd amendment ones outside so they can kill each other off pretty soon maybe things would shape up.

Bright Raven":2fclnfe4 said:
Ky hills":2fclnfe4 said:

Bill,

You are in Clark County. Montgomery County is next county west. Lexington Channel 18 presented an expose on their security system. Just wondered if you have seen it?

I haven't seen it but would like to it sounds like they are trying to implement some good steps. I don't know anything about their school system there, but we do quite a bit of our farm business in Montgomery County as it's very close and they seem to have more agricultural businesses than we do here.

BRYANT":vrcr2p8g said:
I have been to Honduras and there schools have big fences , our sport stadiums have fences, It would not cost all that much to fence in out schools with a fence similar to what you would see around a minimum security prison with a check point. I would not oppose to the check point being run by National Guard.
BUT school safety is not the issue ITS THEY WANT TO TACE AWAY GUNS

Could build a Trump wall around the schools.

Brute 23":24rdu8xu said:
At this point I do not see the need for armed guards and guard stations. That is going to a whole different level.

Letting teachers voluntarily cc and some minor security planning on the schools part will detour 99% of these shootings.
It's the 1% that is the problem. I don't think any of these type thugs are worried one bit about being shot and killed. And it's not the killing of their peers and teachers that draws them to it..it's the notoriety it brings.
Not sure it can ever be prevented but the damage can be minimized and greatly reduced.

A sad commentary...
Hall monitor 1960s..
hallmonitor.jpg

Hall Monitor 2018...

greybeard":14563081 said:
Brute 23":14563081 said:
At this point I do not see the need for armed guards and guard stations. That is going to a whole different level.

Letting teachers voluntarily cc and some minor security planning on the schools part will detour 99% of these shootings.

A sad commentary...
Hall monitor 1960s..
hallmonitor.jpg

Hall Monitor 2018...

I know it's a joke but how fast could some of those be stopped by a minimum wage, retired door greater... or just some on payed... to pay attention. How would this have gone if a 75 year old man spotted a gun on this kid walking in and hit a button that sent the whole school in to lock down?

Latest posts