Teachers with guns

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't see a down side to having teachers with guns. CC has proven to work quite well, I'm surprised that you don't hear of more accidents to the general public. After all it was going to be like the wild west, according to the anti gun crowd.

K through 12 public schools are administered by county/city government. The recent shootings in Florida and Marshall County, Kentucky has made this a nightly issue on local news. I have learned a lot about our school systems regarding security. It is interesting, counties that are well off and have adequate resources through property taxes, have higher security than poorer counties. The result is a wide range in the level of security. As I understand it, Kentucky designates K through 12 as "gun free" zones except for professional security personnel and police. Despite the commentary, the current state of affairs for whatever reason or reasons does not support teachers being armed.

It is logical to speculate that there is a stately list of reasons why school administrators don't feel comfortable with teachers being armed.

I volunteered at a works trade show today to encourage 8th graders to look at trade school, construction , nursing among other things other that college for a degree to flip bugers. There were about 2000 kids that came thru today. There were 2 police officers at the gate . B
Nothing was checked , I have 3 guns in my truck and figured I would have to go back to office and then come back. They waved me thru , you can bet I was armed because it was not on school grounds.

What happens when a teacher that is carrying is overpowered by one or even a few students?
How do the police know who the shooter is when they show up and there are multiple shooters due to teachers shooting at the suspect?

Hunter":3nfkx54l said:
What happens when a teacher that is carrying is overpowered by one or even a few students?
How do the police know who the shooter is when they show up and there are multiple shooters due to teachers shooting at the suspect?

I would assume they would be uniformed and open carry. I don't see it happening. Makes for entertaining conversation. Will never happen. Liability, training, public acceptance, etc etc. Maybe in Texas. Likely no other state.

Edited to add: based on what I am finding, no state currently allows K through 12 teachers to carry a firearm to school. There are states that allow carry on college campuses. Is this correct?

Caustic Burno":1wei10bk said:
There are districts in Texas that teachers carry.

I saw where 10 states allow carry but in most cases it uses the word "campus". How does it read in Texas?

Brute 23":3j3k01sa said:
Craig Miller":3j3k01sa said:
Brute 23":3j3k01sa said:
I am strongly against any military division providing security on a school campus. That's a slippery slope.

Our state already deals the cc course adequate to carry in public. If any of those kids are in wal-mart, McDonald's, or most other places in public they are already around people who are cc. That same teacher could be cc in a restaurant right next to their student any other time.

That should not end just because they step in to a school.

What slope would that be? I dont see how its any different than having armed security. And a conceal carrier is not the same as putting yourself in front of a gunman intentionally which is what you would be asking a teacher to do. Thats what cops and military do. That diffrent than having a gun to protect yourself

I am not asking a teacher to put themself in front of a gunman. I am saying an individual, like a teacher, should be able to cc in a school if they choose.

The sad part about it is in most every school school shooting a teacher has put themselves in front of a gunman un-armed to protect their students. If they had that kind of intestinal fortitude un-armed I honestly think that they could make a difference if they were armed.

This surprised me!!!

California allows carry under the following condition:

Permits carrying a firearm on school grounds if a person has "the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority."

I'm all for it if:
1/ The staff member is psyc evaled.
2/They train under police standards.
3/They requalify annually
4/Any questionable actions or behavior changes would automatically suspend their carry until cleared
No different than the way we treat our Law Enforcement people.

Here's another thought or two.If teachers having guns scares people too much,what about a taser gun which can be deployed at a slight distance?Would put the perpetrator down where they could be disarmed and buy some time for resource officer to get there.Also,what would be wrong with every staff member being required to wear a "panic button" device which would sound an alarm and alert police?No different than a fire alarm except easier to use.
Our schools in the county I live in have all gone to restricted access.One door you must be" buzzed through" from the office while under video surveilence.Not perfect but it's a start.

Caustic Burno":27iclz4i said:
Bright Raven":27iclz4i said:
Caustic Burno":27iclz4i said:
There are districts in Texas that teachers carry.

http://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/new ... /319422488

Thank you. I assume that is a K through 12 because it mentions a superintendent. Ok. That is one!

There is more than you know.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.com/ ... L/amp.html

I have been looking. It is confusing. On the local news out of Lexington they stated Kentucky holds K through 12 public schools to be "gun free". But allows CC carry on a "campus". There are also several states that have what are termed "school marshals". What I am not finding is anywhere that allows a broad carry by any teacher. Which is wise. To select those who have the qualities to safely and competently carry is good policy.

Bright Raven":ekhxgxgo said:
Hunter":ekhxgxgo said:
How many states allow individuals to carry without passing a test?
I could carry in Missouri without taking a CC test. I don't think I am allowed to carry across state lines though.

Yes you are. Look up reciprocity.

You should get a CC permit in Denver! I think I went through a week of nightly classes, then a Saturday with an individual instructor on the range, then a sit down interview with the Denver Police Dept.

Edited to add: maybe getting a permit should be like that everywhere. It would weed out a lot of people who do not have the proficiency that is needed to carry a concealed weapon.

I believe I did and here is an article that spells out gun rights...if it is correct.
https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/lake_news ... 8d618.html

Permitless carry is only allowed in a handful of states. But, I have been told that there is a bill that has been proposed to congress that would allow.

JW IN VA":2kddcbwf said:
Here's another thought or two.If teachers having guns scares people too much,what about a taser gun which can be deployed at a slight distance?Would put the perpetrator down where they could be disarmed and buy some time for resource officer to get there.Also,what would be wrong with every staff member being required to wear a "panic button" device which would sound an alarm and alert police?No different than a fire alarm except easier to use.
Our schools in the county I live in have all gone to restricted access.One door you must be" buzzed through" from the office while under video surveilence.Not perfect but it's a start.

This is how it is at most elementary schools here. One issue is at the beginning of the school when kids are walking in a lot of different doors. Didn't Sandy Hook Elementary have the buzz in door which he got in and then started shooting?

I do think some teachers would like the opportunity to have a gun in their room but the first time something happens the school will be sued. I'm sure the insurance rate would go up as well along with legal fees.

I am not opposed to having guns in school in the right peoples hands.

How much time goes into training police officers and how many hours does that take each year to stay proficient?

Hunter":12ah095n said:
Bright Raven":12ah095n said:
Hunter":12ah095n said:
How many states allow individuals to carry without passing a test?
I could carry in Missouri without taking a CC test. I don't think I am allowed to carry across state lines though.

Yes you are. Look up reciprocity.

You should get a CC permit in Denver! I think I went through a week of nightly classes, then a Saturday with an individual instructor on the range, then a sit down interview with the Denver Police Dept.

Edited to add: maybe getting a permit should be like that everywhere. It would weed out a lot of people who do not have the proficiency that is needed to carry a concealed weapon.

I believe I did and here is an article that spells out gun rights...if it is correct.
https://www.lakeexpo.com/news/lake_news ... 8d618.html

Permitless carry is only allowed in a handful of states. But, I have been told that there is a bill that has been proposed to congress that would allow.

I thought Missouri had already passed permitless carry.

Bright Raven":2nf3c7di said:
This surprised me!!!

California allows carry under the following condition:

Permits carrying a firearm on school grounds if a person has "the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority."
110 Texas school districts allow teachers to carry guns (according to Google) and the number is growing.

They did pass it but permitless carriers do not get reciprocity in all other states, only a few, 4(?).
Going to assume those few are the ones that also allow permitless carriers.

In the article I posted it states that if one has a valid CC permit they are given reciprocity in 34 (?) other states.

Latest posts