Stupid things cows do

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
We keep our bull with the cows until calving starts and our up and coming heifers stay separated with our butcher steer. When calves start dropping, we put the bull with the steer and move the heifers in with the cows. This system has worked fine in the past.

This year, the heifers have been really obnoxious when coming into heat and they direct all their attention to one cow, an airheaded shorthorn that lets herself get dominated by anyone. She's been pregnant about to pop and if one of those heifers is in heat, they'll be all over her 24/7 mounting her and vice versa. Really annoying because she was as big as a house and we didn't want her getting hurt, but she seems to be the one tolerating it and does nothing to stop them. This isn't an issue with the other cows, so I assume it's because she's an idiot.

Fast forward to her finally going into labor, with a hoof sticking out of her, and a little witch of a heifer mounting her and running her all over the pasture while she's having contractions. We tried driving the heifer off and she'd just come barreling back to the cow, stuck like glue. We didn't want to interfere while she was in labor, but I couldn't see leaving them together and having that heifer mounting her the whole time she was trying to deliver the calf. In the freezing cold darkness we spent two hours following them back and forth all over 30 acres until we finally got the cow into the corral and separated from the heifer. They didn't want to be apart and they didn't want to cooperate. After we got them where we wanted them, the heifer stood right up against the fence like a psycho trying to get back to her "girlfriend."

By this time, the hoof had gone back inside the cow, and she'd been walking or running with that heifer for hours. We left her alone for a while to relax and the calf's hooves came out again but she seemed to be struggling, groaning a lot and pushing without making anymore progress. We had to pull her calf last year and we figured she was pretty tired this year, so we pulled the calf to be safe, without any difficulty.

The idiot cow sat there staring into space instead of licking him off, while he laid their sopping wet in the cold with steam rising off him trying to figure out how to breath. We pushed him right up into her face and left them for a while and when she still did nothing, we dried him with towels. She delivered her afterbirth and ignored it, instead of eating it, so vultures came and we had to bury it. In the middle of the night, the heifer jumped the fence into the corral to be with her again.

We didn't see the calf nurse right away, so we milked her colostrum and tubed him to be safe. We kept them in the corral to make sure they'd be ok. She claims him, he's alert and active, and they're getting along fine so we banded him and turned them out. She makes all the other cows look like geniuses, which is sad. This will be her last here since she can't just do her job and handle her business like the others...

As far as the heifers...does anyone have any opinions about them? I figure they're just hormonal and took advantage of a weak link. You don't see them trying to mount any of the other cows, because they'll get put right back in their place. I didn't think there was anything wrong with putting them together to start with and I prefer to still think it would be okay in the future, once the box of rocks is out of the picture.

We had a goofy steer that onbe year would head butt the feet and head of a calf while it was being born and push it back in. The cow finalyy had enough, stood up and knocked the steer on it's but and mauled it aorund for a couple of minuts. Walked 10 feet away and had her calf. That steer never went near a cow in albor again and you couldn;t get it in the same pen with calf.

Since you know this cows character, can you think of anything you might want to do different next time she is due to have a calf?

1982vett":1efiy32a said:
Since you know this cows character, can you think of anything you might want to do different next time she is due to have a calf?

I don't think she'll be calving here again. She's needed assistance two years in a row and it's not worth it to change our whole pasture rotation to prevent a grown cow from being pushed around by yearling heifers. She's never quite fit in with the others. She seems to belong in a barn corral on a bed of straw (which is how she was raised) instead of out on the range with cows that have pasture smarts (similar to street smarts?).

she would make a good gomer cow if she draws that much attention. some cows seem to be more drawn to cows in heat. there is usually one that does all the riding and getting rode.

jcarkie":m2z8fp4x said:
she would make a good gomer cow if she draws that much attention. some cows seem to be more drawn to cows in heat. there is usually one that does all the riding and getting rode.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it.

tncattle467":m2z8fp4x said:
She will probably make some good hamburger.

She's 3 years old and she'd probably be delicious, but that's a lot of burger.

dun":k99ktbqq said:
We had a goofy steer that onbe year would head butt the feet and head of a calf while it was being born and push it back in. The cow finalyy had enough, stood up and knocked the steer on it's but and mauled it aorund for a couple of minuts. Walked 10 feet away and had her calf. That steer never went near a cow in albor again and you couldn;t get it in the same pen with calf.

Dun, I guess that's a more obnoxious steer than our heifer, but your cow put him in his place like a cow should.

2/B - don't you have trouble with the cycling heifers trying to "ride" the newborns? Occasionally, I 'll have a newborn wonder off under the fence and end up with the yearling heifers. It really gets them excited & they try riding the calf. Would worry me to death!

Hi Jeanne! We've never had problems putting the yearling heifers with the calving cows until this year. Maybe we've just been lucky. Seems like the pecking order normally keeps everyone in their place. Had another calf born yesterday afternoon. It was a sunny day with big fluffy clouds, a perfect day. We hid in the ditch on a blanket and watched with binoculars. All the other cows did their own thing until the instant the calf hit the ground. Somehow they all knew and came rushing around in a big circle. Everyone wanted to see the new baby but no one was disrespectful. Each year we work on our fences more and divide more pastures. Right now we have 3 and we like to keep one resting at all times, but by next year we'll have another if we need to figure out a new system.

Latest posts