strangers among the cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":328zfd1p said:
crimsoncrazy":328zfd1p said:
In Oklahoma there is no need to put up No Trespassing signs on agriculture land. If they are on your land without your permission they are trespassing.
Missouri is the same way BUT if you do have signs up or can prove you told that person they were not allowed on your property then they can be charged with Criminial Tresspassing which is about double the fine and can be jail time

Runningt an add in a local paper is the same as putting the signs up also

In Texas, "posted" is posted. If you have a fence, your property is posted. Wire is supposed to be on the outside to signify which side of the fence is which - by law.

Neighbor's cows get out all the time. The do good lady who works at the dog kennel always stops, opens my gate, and puts the cows in my pasture. I had to put a lock on that gate. Anyway, it is usually my neighbor walking through mine trying to get his cows back. (the one with the angus bull)

Ryder":3ccpobzc said:
Halfy":3ccpobzc said:
Now I'd like to ask you something please. If you've read my posts in other threads you'll realise that I don't own any cows of my own, but have a field of them at the bottom of my garden. The farmer knows I love 'em to bits and he once invited me into the field while he was there. Great. But my question is this - whilst I was watering the garden a few weeks back during a really hot day, some of the cows came over to see what I was doing, and I emptied the remainder of the water over the fence for them to drink. They absolutely loved it and more came over so I refilled the watering can and showered them - they gulped it up.

Please tell me I didn't do them any harm - it was only water.
If you are on good terms with the farmer, I see nothing wrong.
I say,"if you are on good terms" simply because there are some ill tempered individuals who will make an issue out of nothing.

There is usually nothing wrong and nothing said, until the day the cows die. If they find out you have done anything to them and they are dead it doesn't really matter if they died from what you did or not. You will be blamed.

So 2 rules of the country.

1. Leave a gate the way you found it.

2. Don't feed anyone else's animals.

novatech":3ewk7mr2 said:
I don't really give a rats behind as long as they are not causing any harm. I like to see kids come across the place enjoying nature. I always stop them and find out who they are and all the info needed just in case. I have even given them a tour. Showing them a coyote den, a natural spring coming out from under a tree, where the deer like to hang out. how to observe all the different animals on and around the place. I think because of this I have less trouble than I could have with a subdivision bordering one side of the place. I know it's not the same today as when I was a kid but I would much rather have kids on my place than being up to some sort of mischief somewhere else. With Brahmans I never had to worry about anyone messing with them.
I have gone out to the place and had as many as 50 people taking photos in the wild flowers during the spring. They are just enjoying themselves doing no harm. They are very important to our economy so I urge them to do what they are doing. A lot of others up and down the highway do the same.
What about the chance of one of the Brahmas stomping a kid in the ground ? I would think you are making yourself liable to be sued. I keep a liablity policy in case something like that happens, but wonder if you don't have much of a defense if you let kids know its ok to be there.

Kids do stupid stuff, I used to work with a woman who's son thought it would be fun to shoot a bull in the scrotum with a paintball gun. I had a real serious talk with him that it wasn't funny and he was messing with a farmers livelihood. I told him if it was my bull I would shoot him and it wouldn't be a paintball....

backhoeboogie":39t8coy2 said:
In Texas, "posted" is posted. If you have a fence, your property is posted. Wire is supposed to be on the outside to signify which side of the fence is which - by law.

Neighbor's cows get out all the time. The do good lady who works at the dog kennel always stops, opens my gate, and puts the cows in my pasture. I had to put a lock on that gate. Anyway, it is usually my neighbor walking through mine trying to get his cows back. (the one with the angus bull)
So they can come in your yard and you can't do anything???
in Missouri Private property is private property no matter if you have a fence or not if you have signs up it is criminal trespass and if not signed it is just trespass unless they have been told they are not allowed and then it becomes criminal trespass

I think we are covered against trespassing, also, with our fencing. BUT we post signs. We are very near a very good fly-fishing and rafting river. There are deer on our property daily; elk during the winter. Some folks just don't pay attention; some don't give a rat's pattutie. That said, and side-arm in place, we have few problems.

I can see you all are about to move to the Uk where there is no anti tresspass law, (only criminal damage if proven) and you can not have a side arm.

Angus Cowman":3sv18gyf said:
backhoeboogie":3sv18gyf said:

So they can come in your yard and you can't do anything???
in Missouri Private property is private property no matter if you have a fence or not if you have signs up it is criminal trespass and if not signed it is just trespass unless they have been told they are not allowed and then it becomes criminal trespass

What I am saying is that there is no need to put up signs on your fence posts saying it is posted.

You can put signs up on property that aint fenced if you want to.

There are other legal circumstances such as a person having the right to retrieve a dog off of another's property.

Further out west you need to actually post a sign. This is because there is so much governement land which is also fenced but the public has the right to go there. With 50% of the state being government land and a huge amount of private timber company land which is also open to the public, people sort of get use to going where they please. So a sign helps them remember to stay off if that is your goal. But again I have no problem with them crossing my pastures to go swim, fish, or hunt down at the river.

Dave, if strangers are hunting fishing swimming on your property, aren't you concerned about liability? Doesn't take much to get sued these days and lose

Ryder":24fon68s said:
Suzie Q":24fon68s said:
They caught a lot of people here a year or so ago. Inspector went to properties while hubby was at work and asked the wife to open the safe for him to inspect the guns. As soon as she went and got the key they were fined.
Obvious entrapment. :mad:
People using the laws to empower their sick egos It may be legal, but it is morally criminal to my way of thinking.

Ryder, SuzieQ is in either New Zealand or Australia (sorry SuzieQ -- forgive whichever is the error), so she probably does not have the protections we have in the USA; i.e.: If law enforcement shows up at your door (1) you don't have to answer any questions and (2) you don't have to let them in without a search warrant. Should you choose to answer questions and open the door, it's not entrapment -- just ignorance.

hooknline":2me308zy said:
Dave, if strangers are hunting fishing swimming on your property, aren't you concerned about liability? Doesn't take much to get sued these days and lose

Just looking at Dave's post, I think he was saying that folks cross his property to get to public lands. For me, yes, strangers swimming, moto-crossing, mud-bogging, etc. on private property is a big concern; not so much hunting and fishing WITH PERMISSION and ground rules for people we know -- people that have made the effort to become acquainted.

Kathie in Thorp":ypcyjg7j said:
Ryder":ypcyjg7j said:
Suzie Q":ypcyjg7j said:
They caught a lot of people here a year or so ago. Inspector went to properties while hubby was at work and asked the wife to open the safe for him to inspect the guns. As soon as she went and got the key they were fined.
Obvious entrapment. :mad:
People using the laws to empower their sick egos It may be legal, but it is morally criminal to my way of thinking.

Ryder, SuzieQ is in either New Zealand or Australia (sorry SuzieQ -- forgive whichever is the error), so she probably does not have the protections we have in the USA; i.e.: If law enforcement shows up at your door (1) you don't have to answer any questions and (2) you don't have to let them in without a search warrant. Should you choose to answer questions and open the door, it's not entrapment -- just ignorance.
No worries Kath. Yes I am in Australia.

I'm still wodering about the biosecuirty aspects. Wasn;t that long ago that it was amajor concern and paranoia, now appartantly no one is worried about it.

backhoeboogie":15qo2uwb said:
What I am saying is that there is no need to put up signs on your fence posts saying it is posted.

You can put signs up on property that aint fenced if you want to.

There are other legal circumstances such as a person having the right to retrieve a dog off of another's property.
It is the same way in Missouri EXCEPT
I said they can be charged with Trespassing, BUT if it is POSTED or they have been told they aren't allowed then you can get them for CRIMINAL Trespass which carries a stiffer penalty
doesn't matter if it is FENCED or NOT they can be charged

dun":32mz1nwt said:
I'm still wodering about the biosecuirty aspects. Wasn;t that long ago that it was amajor concern and paranoia, now appartantly no one is worried about it.

Dun, I think you can relax on this. Am not requiring people to wear plastic covers over their shoes or bio-hazard clothing gear here. I also don't check their current vaccinations. If you are, I'm sorry, buddy.

Kathie in Thorp":1x5vz7v3 said:
dun":1x5vz7v3 said:

Dun, I think you can relax on this. Am not requiring people to wear plastic covers over their shoes or bio-hazard clothing gear here. I also don't check their current vaccinations. If you are, I'm sorry, buddy.
I just find it humorous that not that long ago everyone was really all jazzed up about it, now it seems people could care less. Another hot button issue that turned cold

dun":3gppob4j said:
Kathie in Thorp":3gppob4j said:
dun":3gppob4j said:

I just find it humorous that not that long ago everyone was really all jazzed up about it, now it seems people could care less. Another hot button issue that turned cold

and one that could come back to bite. It ould be better if there as a middlish road some where

I post all my property with signs. All my signs have my name and phone numbers on them. And I still catch people poaching every year, most say they shot a deer and it went on our land. In 20yrs. I have had only had 3 hunters call wanting permission to look for their deer. People need to respect other peoples stuff nuff said.

Jogeephus":kgzg7cpy said:
Its about to be the peak time of year for shrooms and usually some doper will come along asking if they can collect manure for their organic free range tomatoes. I warn them that some of my cattle don't like visitors and would just as soon make a spot out of you as to look at you.

Really? I had thought that this was an old wives' tale told to me by my doper cousin from South Georgia (Toombs County) when we were but young lads. Now I'm curious to know what a psilocybin mushroom looks like - could be the cure for high prices and they sure produce enough medium! ;)

MichaelB

Latest posts