strangers among the cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
Ay, the boards are dead at this time of night.

So here's a question. How do you react if you see someone walking in your pastures, among your cows?

I'm thinking now, as kids we roamed freely among the neighbouring farmer's fields and cattle. We used his dung midden for sledging in winter, and I made my first associations with cattle befriending the steers (there weren't other kids about, just our family).

But now, if I see someone with the cows without my permission I'm inclined to think - who the hell is that, what the hell are they doing there even if I'm polite to them. And yesterday I discovered someone had been in the calf shed while I was in town, giving buckets of water to the 2-day old calves. Yeah, I know who it was, he can't keep his own stock alive & I'd rather he didn't interfere with mine.

Something's got to meet halfway, surely? I think I'm probably way over-reacting because of the events of the last couple of years since some of my cattle have been harmed when I wasn't there. At the same time, there's a lot can go wrong with ignorant humans around.

Its about to be the peak time of year for shrooms and usually some doper will come along asking if they can collect manure for their organic free range tomatoes. I warn them that some of my cattle don't like visitors and would just as soon make a spot out of you as to look at you.

I used to strap on my 357 exposed instead of concealed and grab my handy lever gun and go see what they want. Hasn;t happened in many, many years

I think AC said it right. In this country we have trespass laws that basically state people do not have a right to enter your property without your permission. It would be up to you how to handle this situation but if it were me I would confront these folks and tell them they are on private property and find out what the heII they are doing there.

There might be something else to consider. Again, in this country if someone got hurt on your property there might be a lawsuit filed against you. But even if you won the suit it would still cost you lots of money defending yourself.

JMHO

Have a good one, mate.

dun":2f39p2dy said:
I used to strap on my 357 exposed instead of concealed and grab my handy lever gun and go see what they want. Hasn;t happened in many, many years
I still carry a pistol in an old western style holster. A couple months ago I was in the living room at about 12:30am. Two guys pulled up to the gate by the house and got out and walked up to the gate. When I saw the headlights pull in I immediately buckled on the holster and slipped outside. When they reached the gate I stepped out under the post light and my hand was filled. Didn't get a chance to ask them what they needed...... ;-)

agree, no trespassing signs..

with horses, when someone feels that a party is messing with their stock, its not uncommon to install a small security camera to "catch" whomever it is..not sure how fesiable that would be for you.

Reg, it sounds like DO GOODERS, they haven't got a clue. They think they have the right to interfer because they think they are gods gift to animals and that they know what is best. They are nothing but trouble, look what happened to Australias live export trade because of these DO GOODERS and now it appears they paid the Indonesian worker to mess things up and kick the cow in the head.
People like that need a good kick up the other end and sent on their way.
Ken

I don't really give a rats behind as long as they are not causing any harm. I like to see kids come across the place enjoying nature. I always stop them and find out who they are and all the info needed just in case. I have even given them a tour. Showing them a coyote den, a natural spring coming out from under a tree, where the deer like to hang out. how to observe all the different animals on and around the place. I think because of this I have less trouble than I could have with a subdivision bordering one side of the place. I know it's not the same today as when I was a kid but I would much rather have kids on my place than being up to some sort of mischief somewhere else. With Brahmans I never had to worry about anyone messing with them.
I have gone out to the place and had as many as 50 people taking photos in the wild flowers during the spring. They are just enjoying themselves doing no harm. They are very important to our economy so I urge them to do what they are doing. A lot of others up and down the highway do the same.

They paid the worker??
That's f*ed up beyond all... guess that's what we have to deal with in the modern age?

It's more a general question, the specific people I can't exactly enforce a no trespass but I can get pretty mean about 'not fiddling with things' er, like the previous lessee did. When you're sharemilking you have even less rights - last year I had to go and get cattle off the road because the farm owner had left the gate open to a paddock with heifers in it.
But I really like the idea of 'unconcealed carry'.

novatech":xqzb8fpe said:
I don't really give a rats behind as long as they are not causing any harm. I like to see kids come across the place enjoying nature. I always stop them and find out who they are and all the info needed just in case. I have even given them a tour. Showing them a coyote den, a natural spring coming out from under a tree, where the deer like to hang out. how to observe all the different animals on and around the place. I think because of this I have less trouble than I could have with a subdivision bordering one side of the place. I know it's not the same today as when I was a kid but I would much rather have kids on my place than being up to some sort of mischief somewhere else. With Brahmans I never had to worry about anyone messing with them.
I have gone out to the place and had as many as 50 people taking photos in the wild flowers during the spring. They are just enjoying themselves doing no harm. They are very important to our economy so I urge them to do what they are doing. A lot of others up and down the highway do the same.
I suppose you have no problem with stragers walking through your housem looking through your shop builsings or having a picnic in your yard. You're a better man then me!

The older I get, the more I realise that farmer whose land I was free-roaming over musta been a real good man.
I think I only ever saw him once.

dun":1q4o2ji5 said:
I suppose you have no problem with stragers walking through your housem looking through your shop builsings or having a picnic in your yard. You're a better man then me!
In 35 years I have never locked the front door. Fact is I don't have a clue where the key is.
My office in town is a different story. Lock everything up tight. They still break in. It cost me what they took and I get to repair the damage from the break in. Ironic part is I am next door to the DPS.( Highway Patrol)

novatech":34ala3pc said:
dun":34ala3pc said:
In 35 years I have never locked the front door. Fact is I don't have a clue where the key is.
My office in town is a different story. Lock everything up tight. They still break in. It cost me what they took and I get to repair the damage from the break in. Ironic part is I am next door to the DPS.( Highway Patrol)

I thought I was the only one who hasn't seen the key to the house since we built it. I don't have ANY keys. I cut the handle part of the key off, and poked the good part in to my truck ignition. Can't see it. Never loose it.
It may bite me someday, but I don't lock anything. Never had anything stolen.

regolith":mf8y7z1l said:
They paid the worker??
That's f*ed up beyond all... guess that's what we have to deal with in the modern age?

I read through the minutes from the Palimentary hearing.

The guy who drove the car for them to go there paid 500,000 rupia I think it was. The guy filmed did not want to kick the beast in the head because of religious reasons. But he needed the money. He did it and then stopped and was asked to do it again as they did not have enough footage.

His workmates thought him a hero at the time because he got so much money. When they lost work because of what had happened they turned on him and his family. He was beaten and his wife and daughter were raped.

Not only that but the guy who drove them there also went into the cattle yards and stirred the cattle up. The translation was that "he was trying to get hurt by the cattle".

I am extremely lucky here that we have neighbours that are close all around us, and that our property is on the main Road to Boonah.

If I do anything down the paddock, hubby hears about it within about half an hour while he is at work in Beaudesert!!!!

We don't really get unplanned visitors here. The last time I knew - as our cattle walked down the paddock, back up the paddock, down and then up and were not eating. I was at my neighbours.

So I came home and heard bang bang bang down our driveway, so that was what upsetting them.

A bit further and two guys in a ute. They were checking the telegraph poles on the property. Boy they must be fit. They had to dig down half a metre around every pole to check to see if they were rotten and the ground out here when it is dry is harder than concrete. They hit each telegraph pole with a hammer above ground to make sure it wasn't rotten and then they used the back of the shovel to bang the nails on the numbers back on the telegraph pole.

They said they had knocked and called before starting, but that isn't much use with me being next door and not home. They were nice guys and said that they had put in for a telegraph pole down the paddock to be replaced, so I guess that will be out next uninvited guest.

We have NO TRESPASSING signs on our gates, and along the fence line. The entry gate is locked if we're not home. Hubby packs a .357 on his side, and something smaller elsewhere. I have a carry permit, too. Try to break into the locked house, you'll get a double-barrel to your guts. Most of the neighbors have the same policy. We have few problems.

Post the signs, and report/insist on prosecuting people who encroach w/out permission. Don't know what the laws are where you're at, but if you can, meet those folks on your place/in your space with a firearm -- not a stick. Don't point it at them -- just make sure they can see it.

At the dairy we had people in our yard,or on our land all the time. Every year someone would break into our locked drug closet in the milk house. We also lived right off a major highway and you could tell it was a dairy barn, the PMU barn down the road had the same problems as us. Those were the scary ones as you know they were dopers looking for steroids . The odd trespassers that would steal soil from a freshly manured field were alot easier to deal with. However if we caught them without asking first, they left without the sh@tt .. :lol2: I still remember one guy thought that it was his right to have it as the field is right by the road and therefor is public property, wrong . :roll:

No one really bothers us here, all gets to pastures are locked at all times and the oilfield companies donor mind having to lock and unlock them everyday . So besides a renegade neighbor and the odd crack head driving through our fence it is relatively quiet here, and we are also a few miles from any major hi ways so that does help. If someone does, we are well protected .

At the dairy we had people in our yard,or on our land all the time. Every year someone would break into our locked drug closet in the milk house. We also lived right off a major highway and you could tell it was a dairy barn, the PMU barn down the road had the same problems as us. Those were the scary ones as you know they were dopers looking for steroids . The odd trespassers that would steal soil from a freshly manured field were alot easier to deal with. However if we caught them without asking first, they left without the sh@tt .. :lol2: I still remember one guy thought that it was his right to have it as the field is right by the road and therefor is public property, wrong . :roll:

No one really bothers us here, all gets to pastures are locked at all times and the oilfield companies donor mind having to lock and unlock them everyday . So besides a renegade neighbor and the odd crack head driving through our fence it is relatively quiet here, and we are also a few miles from any major hi ways so that does help. If someone does, we are well protected .

Latest posts