Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

here is one of the angus cross calves i was talking about, ill call her a longhorn cow i guess but this calf is out of a solid black angus bull
Notice my post earlier that its hard to get a solid color calf out of a cow with small spots. I do think your Angus bull doesn't carry a red gene.

Notice my post earlier that its hard to get a solid color calf out of a cow with small spots. I do think your Angus bull doesn't carry a red gene.
yes you are exactly right about that! and i dont think he carries a red gene but what do you think would happen if he did? also am i way off base in thinking a charolais bull would be better for cows like her?

here is one of the angus cross calves i was talking about, ill call her a longhorn cow i guess but this calf is out of a solid black angus bull
She doesn't look much like a LH or Corr to me,. Mtn. Her horn size and shape look a lot more dairy. So does her color patterns. like Shorthorn or Aryshire. Her next one by a true Angus may well be solid black. And, if you had a Charolais bull like you were talking about getting, this calf instead of being black spotted, would have most likely be a faded, faint replica of the cow's color and pattern.

yes you are exactly right about that! and i dont think he carries a red gene but what do you think would happen if he did? also am i way off base in thinking a charolais bull would be better for cows like her?
We have a neighbor that does the Char bull over LH cows and some cover better than others. You can still get these off white colors or even blotches of off colors.

She doesn't look much like a LH or Corr to me,. Mtn. Her horn size and shape look a lot more dairy. So does her color patterns. like Shorthorn or Aryshire. Her next one by a true Angus may well be solid black. And, if you had a Charolais bull like you were talking about getting, this calf instead of being black spotted, would have most likely be a faded, faint replica of the cow's color and pattern.
Lets keep up with it and i bet you lunch she wont have a solid black calf from an Angus bull.

Lets keep up with it and i bet you lunch she wont have a solid black calf from an Angus bull.
It's a deal! If he uses that same bull, you got a good chance of me buying lunch. If he buy a Charolais, I will make you the same bet he won't get a solid color calf, either. Now, if we could breed her to the bulls we use, I'd bet you a steak and shrimp dinner, with all the beer you wanted, she'd have a black calf. @MtnCows93 , is she already bred back?

Last edited:
It's a deal! If he uses that same bull, You got a good chance of me buying lunch. If he buy a Charolais, I will make you the same bet he won't get a solid color calf, either. Now, if we could breed her to the bulls we use, I'd bet you a steak and shrimp dinner, with all the beer you wanted, she'd have a black calf. @MtnCows93 , is she already bred back?
The difference is the Charolais will mostly cover the spots and they show up in black and white with the Angus.

No matter what breed of bull you use, your odds of getting a spotted calf out of a cow like that are going to be the same (unless you're using a spotted bull obviously). Spotting genes are independent to hide color and dilution genes.

Like Kenny said, yellow spots on a white hide blend in much better than black spots on a white hide, but you still have spots either way. In my experience, the charolais does a lot better job of adding muscle and bone to the cross calves but that doesn't mean a good black won't work either.

I'm sure if you keep the cow around long enough you'll get some solid colored calves and some more spotted calves out of her.

im sure shes bred back and shes a longhorn cow no dairy, her horns are cut, look at her tight little bag and her sloped rear end. her ears nose and spots are all typical of these type cows
I see longhorn im my area that are lots like her. Heavier bodied and slightly smaller horns.

Quite a few folks around here use longhorns, usually covered by a char bull. They seem to get the least amount of dock. I've never understood it myself. At some point the money you saved by getting in with used up roping heifers is costing you by years of selling half price calves. How can it not cost the same to winter a big longhorn cow as a beef cow?

Quite a few folks around here use longhorns, usually covered by a char bull. They seem to get the least amount of dock. I've never understood it myself. At some point the money you saved by getting in with used up roping heifers is costing you by years of selling half price calves. How can it not cost the same to winter a big longhorn cow as a beef cow?
Very good point. I have kept 2-5 longhorns or cross for years mixed in with the other cows. Partly for dog problems. Plus i just like having them around. I dont like the roping heifers. Never seemed to do as well for me.

The difference is the Charolais will mostly cover the spots and they show up in black and white with the Angus.
By cover, are you talking about fading them, or siring a completely white ( or off-white) calf? Here, it wouldn't make any difference if it looked like a Charolais or just a faded replica of the cow, you gonna get the "dock". Back in the 70's, the hot item in the commercial steer and heifer shows at the fairs, were Char x Simm and Char x Hereford, and they looked like yellow & white Herefords and yellow and white Simms. Never saw a solid, white or other color, calf from those , A dairy behind me decided to use a Char on his Holstein heifers one year. The ones he pulled that lived, were just like their mothers, only grey or chocolate & white , in the Holstein pattern.

On another note, are you back delivering trailers etc, yet? I haven't ruled out getting the 100 cows from Mexico yet. If I go through with it, I will l need help getting 20 Chi bulls to El Paso. Actually, will need to get some from 4 different places in 4 different states, down here to Ga to ship out to El Paso.

For people that keep them with beef cows, in well-fertilized pastures, and vet them, feed them, supplement them, etc, like they do their beef cows, it would cost nearly the same as it does to winter beef cows. Their only edge would be the initial purchase price of the LHs. And using Char bulls, they probably do bring half of what a polled, black beef calf does.

Never seen Corriente heifers used at a rodeo or roping, just steers. Probably because til about 1980 or so, steers were the only things you could import out of Mexico. There are three rodeo production companies with in 35 miles of me, and they only use steers. In 50 years of rodeo, I have never roped a heifer, or seen one in the pens at the rodeo grounds. But, even if they used heifers in rodeo, it wouldn't hurt them to be "used up" as far as breeding. An animal ..bull, bronc or steer, can only be used once in a rodeo, so they come out of a chute, run down the arena, and are roped or bull dogged one time a week during rodeo season.

Latest posts