Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

so far i have only ever just weaned them off the cow and took them straight to the salebarn. i keep track of their ages and sell all my calves when they are 8 to 9 months old, i know what they weigh then but dont know the kill weight ends up being. i am keeping 2 this year to process so i will know what they do next year
How heavy do they wean at that age?
400? 450?

so far i have only ever just weaned them off the cow and took them straight to the salebarn. i keep track of their ages and sell all my calves when they are 8 to 9 months old, i know what they weigh then but dont know the kill weight ends up being. i am keeping 2 this year to process so i will know what they do next year
What do you breed them to? And what are you feeding them, if anything other than grass?

Thanks for the info...

mine are just on grass, hay, and mineral thats all they ever get except dewormer. weaning weights generally 450 for steers and 400 for heifers now im using just a plain jane angus bull and he could be alot better. next year im gonna buy a charolais bull to use on them. also these cows vary in weight from 800lb down to 600lb and i did buy a heifer pair the cow weighed 410 so they do wean a high percentage of their own body weight

mine are just on grass, hay, and mineral thats all they ever get except dewormer. weaning weights generally 450 for steers and 400 for heifers now im using just a plain jane angus bull and he could be alot better. next year im gonna buy a charolais bull to use on them. also these cows vary in weight from 800lb down to 600lb and i did buy a heifer pair the cow weighed 410 so they do wean a high percentage of their own body weight
That is pretty good, imo.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel like they do, price wise, vs the market report when you sell?

We do Brahman cross cattle so we are always watching the doc to evaluate if the benefits are justified.

That is pretty good, imo.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel like they do, price wise, vs the market report when you sell?

We do Brahman cross cattle so we are always watching the doc to evaluate if the benefits are justified.
now thats the part that sucks, for me alot of the calves come out with white coloring and they get docked pretty heavy. and the ones that are solid black sometimes have little scur horns and they are not #1 price. a couple months ago i sold 2 100% corriente steers together they averaged 385lbs brought $1.07 a pound and a full beef angus steer that same day i sold weighed 500 brought $2.05 a pound. the crosses for me have been bringing $1.25 to $1.75 a pound this year it varies alot. i believe my main problem has been the color of the calves and where im at we dont have the best cattle market like that good black angus steer should have brought more that day

now thats the part that sucks, for me alot of the calves come out with white coloring and they get docked pretty heavy. and the ones that are solid black sometimes have little scur horns and they are not #1 price. a couple months ago i sold 2 100% corriente steers together they averaged 385lbs brought $1.07 a pound and a full beef angus steer that same day i sold weighed 500 brought $2.05 a pound. the crosses for me have been bringing $1.25 to $1.75 a pound this year it varies alot. i believe my main problem has been the color of the calves and where im at we dont have the best cattle market like that good black angus steer should have brought more that day
That's really simular to my experience with Brahman cattle and what my friend saw with his Corriente cattle.

Pure bloods if they are real nice and steered will be 1.2 mas o menos in the #6+s range. When you get in the 1/2 blood type cattle there is a pretty big variation based on color and how clean they are, just like you see. It's like the spots showing up on those calves, with Brahmans, you never know how clean their calf will really be until it hits the ground. It's like playing scratchers... you never know what you got until you see it. 😄

have any of you ever been to a car auction, and seen some of those cars that sold ,sitting on the side of the road with the hoods up..on your way home..

When I used Angus that is about what sizes we were weaning. Our Corrs ran 700-800 lbs. The Mexican fighting bull cows I had til this fall, were no taller, but a lot heavier. Probably approaching 1000. Had the occasional LH cow that would weigh that, but they were bigger, taller and leaner. About 2010, I think, we started using a lot bigger and better Brangus bulls. These were my partner's family's bulls, 5 figure to nearly 6 figure registered bulls... a lot were from the Salacoa Brangus line. That's when we started weaning 500lb+ steers and 450+ heifers. We never worm or vaccinate or treat for flies, etc, but, they are on 25% protein kudzu February til November. Nov. til Feb. they are on corn, beans, peanuts and cotton residue. We wean at about 6 months...how about you? The Charolais will wean you a lot bigger calves than your angus has, but won't do better than Brangus or Ultrablack. Plus, you lose a lot of cents per pound due to their color. Do you ever get scurs? Or horns?

When I used Angus that is about what sizes we were weaning. Our Corrs ran 700-800 lbs. The Mexican fighting bull cows I had til this fall, were no taller, but a lot heavier. Probably approaching 1000. Had the occasional LH cow that would weigh that, but they were bigger, taller and leaner. About 2010, I think, we started using a lot bigger and better Brangus bulls. These were my partner's family's bulls, 5 figure to nearly 6 figure registered bulls... a lot were from the Salacoa Brangus line. That's when we started weaning 500lb+ steers and 450+ heifers. We never worm or vaccinate or treat for flies, etc, but, they are on 25% protein kudzu February til November. Nov. til Feb. they are on corn, beans, peanuts and cotton residue. We wean at about 6 months...how about you? The Charolais will wean you a lot bigger calves than your angus has, but won't do better than Brangus or Ultrablack. Plus, you lose a lot of cents per pound due to their color. Do you ever get scurs? Or horns?
yea alot of them get smaller horns or scurs, also my thought process behind getting a charolais bull soon is half my cows are not solid colored alot of black and white and brown spots which those may be more of a longhorn type cow technically

yea alot of them get smaller horns or scurs, also my thought process behind getting a charolais bull soon is half my cows are not solid colored alot of black and white and brown spots which those may be more of a longhorn type cow technically
Only ones I have had with scurs, were some LH crosses that had Watusi blood. All our calves have been black. If your black ones that have white and spots on them don't bring as much as the solid blacks, then all your Charolais will bring even lower. Longhorn, Corriente, Fla Scrub, Fla Cracker, and Pineywoods cattle are all the same breed really, or descended from the same Spanish stock brought to the Americas 500 years ago. as they became feral and dispersed over the continent, the ones that stayed in Florida and the southern coast developed narrower horns that grow vertical. The one shat moved north and west into Texas and the plains states grew bigger bigger bodies,. The ones that migrated into Mexico and points south grew smaller. in body size, ,etc. In any of those breeds you will find every color and pattern there is in cattle, because every kind of cow that came to America afterwards, would go feral, or be turned loose with the herds of feral Criolo. You will see them that look the same color as, and with the same markings as: Jeresy, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein, Hereford, Shorthorn, Angus...you name it. The only ones we ever got more white...not solid black.... would sometimes be calves from the small spots or roans, like Short Horns . What age are you weaning at?

Scroll up to post #189. Dunno how anyone could post anymore detailed facts and figures than that. It is the exact same facts and figures that you post, like in the tale about the steers gaining 5 lbs a day! Don't have any idea about our own herd, just what they brought per pound at weaning. And since 2020, I have posted that every time we sold some.

I actually did get pictures on Tuesday of his next bunch shipping out in January. And, I asked Clay to see if Mike's wife would give him a copy of that last feed bill with Mike's info and the lot's info blacked out. And she did. But, we were talking last night, and Clay made a good point. If I posted those pics, the troll's like you, Scooter and Skippy would try to say they were Simms. Or were older than what they were. And the same with the feed bill....one of the trolls would say it was photoshopped pr something. I DO NOT, and have NEVER, answered to anybody or for anybody, and I ain't about to start now.
I read those, and have no problem in thinking they are true. I wouldn't expect those kind to do any better.

For your info, there are a lot of these inferior norther cattle with growth rates like that. I would guess Silver's calves likely do better. How else do you think they get fats to weigh 1450 to 1650 lbs at 13 months of age?
A little secret is our climate.

Wish I had a better picture or two. But the pair was hard to catch. We had to drive them to them pen come catch day with 2 4-wheelers.
But there was no mistaking the calf. Her rear end gave it away. When I sold em of coarse the cow was a couple more months bred. And maybe in slightly better condition. The calf did grow good for the couple months I had her. And neither one of em would come eat feed!
View attachment 38792View attachment 38793View attachment 38794
The day I unloaded em to familiarize with the feed troughs. Only time they were ever in the pen aside from catch day. I couldn't tell you age or weight aside from cow was called 3 or 4 months bred when sold. So the calf was small in my opinion for her age, with a large head and noassatall...
They sold as a 3n1 pair.
I just told the guys sell how ya think they'll do best.
No problem telling that calf belonged to it's mama.

Just so happens that I have a few pics of the development of a Corriente heifer from being weaned very young (I got her free) to having her first calf out of a beef bull. The beef bull weighed 1510lbs when I sold him at 30 months of age (he'd lost about 150lbs because of drought, though). Pics are for everyone's FYI:).

Attachments

• c19fff2f-1391-4615-9bbb-d0f72c4ecc8f.jpeg
    c19fff2f-1391-4615-9bbb-d0f72c4ecc8f.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 48632399-4aee-4415-ac40-f48e58f9105d.jpeg
    48632399-4aee-4415-ac40-f48e58f9105d.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 0308c72e-662c-4f83-a28f-485e44e44221.jpeg
    0308c72e-662c-4f83-a28f-485e44e44221.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5187.jpeg
    IMG_5187.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 18
  • c49bba02-8e23-4b86-a610-bbd8a70e3d48.jpeg
    c49bba02-8e23-4b86-a610-bbd8a70e3d48.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 18
  • bcaf757a-1995-42f4-858d-9c1f0828a832.jpeg
    bcaf757a-1995-42f4-858d-9c1f0828a832.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 18
  • dafd8fb1-189a-44e2-8dc6-521bf95a3954.jpeg
    dafd8fb1-189a-44e2-8dc6-521bf95a3954.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 18
  • ae272ee9-a1bf-4c2f-af27-1062614cb411.jpeg
    ae272ee9-a1bf-4c2f-af27-1062614cb411.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 20
  • b758394c-a679-4590-8a56-5e0f7ac7d911.jpeg
    b758394c-a679-4590-8a56-5e0f7ac7d911.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 21ccfdcd-a851-435b-b3e8-fca15c65509d.jpeg
    21ccfdcd-a851-435b-b3e8-fca15c65509d.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 20
  • fadffd4a-e437-4dc4-a80c-8b8ee97d323b.jpeg
    fadffd4a-e437-4dc4-a80c-8b8ee97d323b.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 31425771-2af5-4c6a-8f87-07ad40079421.jpeg
    31425771-2af5-4c6a-8f87-07ad40079421.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 24
I've got a question.

When you use a good European bull on them, at what weight do the steers mature? Do they ever get much over a thousand pounds and if so, how old are they?
I can give some answer to that! We started out with some crappy land, adding some lh to keep the ag exempt and added in a brangus bull. Didn't like the results so switched over to a char bull. Still have a few and we keep those crosses for our family and friends beef. Yes they mature slower, we butcher at 24 mo and about 12-1300 lbs. we all prefer the meat to the other cattle, little bit leaner and much better burger meat. To me that is quality and value, not an inferior product

I can give some answer to that! We started out with some crappy land, adding some lh to keep the ag exempt and added in a brangus bull. Didn't like the results so switched over to a char bull. Still have a few and we keep those crosses for our family and friends beef. Yes they mature slower, we butcher at 24 mo and about 12-1300 lbs. we all prefer the meat to the other cattle, little bit leaner and much better burger meat. To me that is quality and value, not an inferior product
Longhorn aren't what we're trying to determine mature weights on, but that's still interesting info.

I'm asking the question about Corriente because I want to know what a crossbred calf from a mature 600/700 pound cow will mature at and how long it will take.

Latest posts