Stirring the pot on the LH/corriente topic

Help Support CattleToday:

im sure shes bred back and shes a longhorn cow no dairy, her horns are cut, look at her tight little bag and her sloped rear end. her ears nose and spots are all typical of these type cows
Oh, no doubt she is Criolo, it is just the width and which they quit spreading, and then turned forward and up, is more found in other Criolo breeds, as well as some of the dairy/dual purpose breeds. . What do you reckon that cow weighs?

Very good point. I have kept 2-5 longhorns or cross for years mixed in with the other cows. Partly for dog problems. Plus i just like having them around. I dont like the roping heifers. Never seemed to do as well for me.
They do not get treated the best if they get leased out or bought for people's back yard arenas. They get ran hard and they keep them light. It's not the development you would want for a future producer.

For people that keep them with beef cows, in well-fertilized pastures, and vet them, feed them, supplement them, etc, like they do their beef cows, it would cost nearly the same as it does to winter beef cows. Their only edge would be the initial purchase price of the LHs. And using Char bulls, they probably do bring half of what a polled, black beef calf does.

Never seen Corriente heifers used at a rodeo or roping, just steers. Probably because til about 1980 or so, steers were the only things you could import out of Mexico. There are three rodeo production companies with in 35 miles of me, and they only use steers. In 50 years of rodeo, I have never roped a heifer, or seen one in the pens at the rodeo grounds. But, even if they used heifers in rodeo, it wouldn't hurt them to be "used up" as far as breeding. An animal ..bull, bronc or steer, can only be used once in a rodeo, so they come out of a chute, run down the arena, and are roped or bull dogged one time a week during rodeo season.
Around here they'll rope anything that has a good set of horns, bull or heifer. And they run them through the chute several times in a day and sometimes multiple times a week. Not as many people roping as used to be in this area but used to there was a small backyard roping or 2 going on everyday around here. Most just for fun or practice. I had a roping pen for a short time and kept a few steers until I started listening to everyone coach me on what all I was doing wrong, got to trying to correct my bad habits and next thing I knew it was no longer fun, it became a job and seemed as if trying to rope the "right way" I couldn't rope worth a flip so I sold it all and moved on.

Definitely wouldn't try putting beef bulls on longhorns in my area. Never seen a spotted/longhorn-looking calf not get docked heavily. Don't know why Corrientes do better, except for the propensity to give solid calves. But every auction I've been to or watched on bluestem ag has had them discounted very heavily.

also, those huge horns are a pain to work with by all accounts.

Around here they'll rope anything that has a good set of horns, bull or heifer. And they run them through the chute several times in a day and sometimes multiple times a week. Not as many people roping as used to be in this area but used to there was a small backyard roping or 2 going on everyday around here. Most just for fun or practice. I had a roping pen for a short time and kept a few steers until I started listening to everyone coach me on what all I was doing wrong, got to trying to correct my bad habits and next thing I knew it was no longer fun, it became a job and seemed as if trying to rope the "right way" I couldn't rope worth a flip so I sold it all and moved on.
Yeah, in the practice pen or a backyard roping, they might be used more than once that day/night. I was talking rodeo, and no association I am familiar with uses an animal more than once at a rodeo. I have never seen practice steers get "worn out" from roping. If they were poor, it is because they weren't fed. What they will do, is just get too used to it. They will get to where they won't run. Or stop as soon as they feel the header's rope. We had a practice steer a while back called 100, because his horn was branded with a "100" on it. That sucker got to where, when the heeler released the tension so he could walk out of the loop, would walk up to the header, and lower his head for you to get the rope off. Back when they were scarce and hard to get, a lot of people just used their commerciaa beef heifers and steers with one of those "horns helmets" strapped on. That would make you a good heeler for sure. If you could trap or scoop those short little hind legs, it was a breeze when you got to a competition that has Corrientes.

I know what you mean about "correcting the bad habits" I have a tendency to throw side arm. I had a Little League coach once that made it his life; work to make me throw overhand. The year I had him was the year I quit baseball. I make myself throw overhand if I am heading, but heeling I can scoop or trap either one better throwing side arm. +

Dehorning when they a few weeks old will add value to them….. Horns cost everyone money but ropers.
And roping is why those horns hang around as long as they do..more money in those horns at that age than the carcass..by the time they get too big and burned out from roping, those horns have a good toe hold on them..and the folks that buy them cheap will just leave them….

We kept a couple of corriente cows we bought as heifers because they are good , one is brindle, one is black.
They both raise exceptional calves.
I have a picture of the brindle, I will post the black when I find it.
Can't really tell that calf is a corriente from the pic. Hope mine raises one that good next year. She's a first-calver this year so not expecting much.

BTW, I got a hankering to see if the 'paints' and spotteds really get docked badly. Checked them out on Bluestem. The one below was docked 27.5% from its solid siblings. Sold for $957, while siblings went for $1320/head. It's siblings sold first. The auctioneer said the only difference was the white markings. Still, no one bid until he lowered the price. Interesting. Corrientes were going for less than 350, BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_6550.jpeg
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 16
Can't really tell that calf is a corriente from the pic. Hope mine raises one that good next year. She's a first-calver this year so not expecting much.

BTW, I got a hankering to see if the 'paints' and spotteds really get docked badly. Checked them out on Bluestem. The one below was docked 27.5% from its solid siblings. Sold for $957, while siblings went for $1320/head. It's siblings sold first. The auctioneer said the only difference was the white markings. Still, no one bid until he lowered the price. Interesting. Corrientes were going for less than 350, BTW.
Beaver Oklahoma!
That place usually sells pretty well. That's a pretty steep discount on that calf. Heifer I presume?

I know the pic ain't great, but that calf looks char/angus. Skunk type

Beaver Oklahoma!
That place usually sells pretty well. That's a pretty steep discount on that calf. Heifer I presume?

I know the pic ain't great, but that calf looks char/angus. Skunk type
Will that mix throw that? I've only ever seen that grey, smoky color out of a CharXAngus.

BTW, I got a hankering to see if the 'paints' and spotteds really get docked badly. Checked them out on Bluestem. The one below was docked 27.5% from its solid siblings. Sold for $957, while siblings went for $1320/head. Its siblings sold first. The auctioneer said the only difference was the white markings. Still, no one bid until he lowered the price. Interesting. Corrientes were going for less than 350, BTW.
Charolais calf there.
These two always have solid colored calves.
When we sell out this spring we will hold these two for lead cows when we buy more.

Something else I noticed @rocfarm
4 wts at 3.22!!

That's pretty good!! Be interesting to see what prices do this year...
My call is that prices stay flat. I know lots of folks need to 'rebuild', but my guess is other factors will offset.

Either way, I don't plan to increase my inputs. It's January and I still haven't fed hay to my corriente or any of the others! The ones I've got left after destocking have only eaten about 1/5 of a 225 lb tub, too, so I think I'm good. Getting decent rain so far this winter so the spring green up should start with some moisture in the ground. When I finally get a bull calf out of that corriente, I'll let everyone know how it does. Maybe next fall, hopefully.

I got one that looks similar to that. If I remember I will take a picture one of these day before I send the calves off to the sale next week. I am sure they will discount it pretty heavy.

Latest posts