Something to stir the Red Angus pot

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":t5g93mnv said:
You are exactly right! It certainly has happened to the Black Angus in the past - and it is happening again to the same breed! I think that it is because most people can't stand prosperity, and have to prove that THEY have found the "Golden Fleece" and will breed every cow in sight to prove it! DOC HARRIS
Dr Harris and Dun
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that AI has allowed Cross Breeders of other breeds and commercial cattle to breed every cow in sight to get a black calf, hoping for it to pass the CAB specs. I find it hard to blame the Angus breeders for the influx of black any other breeds that there is out there. The only breed that I know that doesn't recognize Black as being regeristerable for that particular breed is Herefords, and maybe Charolais. MikeC can maybe fill us in on that.

la4angus":3t1pnagu said:
The only breed that I know that doesn't recognize Black as being regeristerable for that particular breed is Herefords, and maybe Charolais. MikeC can maybe fill us in on that.

There are now black as well as red Charolais, and I think they can be registered, but I could be wrong. The only ones I can think of that don't allow black are Hereford, Shorthorn, and Red Poll. There may be others.

VanC":3u791z27 said:
la4angus":3u791z27 said:
The only breed that I know that doesn't recognize Black as being regeristerable for that particular breed is Herefords, and maybe Charolais. MikeC can maybe fill us in on that.

There are now black as well as red Charolais, and I think they can be registered, but I could be wrong. The only ones I can think of that don't allow black are Hereford, Shorthorn, and Red Poll. There may be others.

I think the red and black Charolais is strictly a Canadan thing. Friend of mine weas at some big bull stud and they had several of each color

dun

Not in Canada would he have seen several black Charolais. I won't say there isn't any. But I will check into that.

Black Charolais is thought to be an American thing.....at least up here! :p

American Charolais Registry Rules:

Registration Disqualifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. For purebreds 31/32 and up and notwithstanding parentage verification by DNA testing:
a. color is white, light straw, or light cream with pink skin
b. animal must not have a dark nose
c. animal must not be spotted
d. animal must not have excessive dark skin pigmentation
e. animal cannot have an unidentified sire or dam

--------------------------------------------------
I think the red and black Charolais is strictly a Canadan thing. Friend of mine weas at some big bull stud and they had several of each color

dun

Correct dun.

Latest posts