Some thoughts on Certified Angus Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

That article was loaded with soooo much false information. I actually texted the writer and told her she needed to RESEARCH her information before printing her false thoughts - and a few other words.
The Herefords jumped in on the race to get bigger by using Simmentals. How do you think they over-night had tons of goggle eyed cattle that weighed a lot more?
LOL - we used all kinds of breeds - but it was all legit!!!
Many can "claim" that my breed is mostly Angus - and many are - SimAngus is a very HOT breed. But, MANY black purebred Simmentals have negligible Angus DNA. I have had black Simmentals since 1971. Commercial black cows bred to Fullblood bulls like Galant, gave me half blood black (or grey) cattle. Trust me, that black gene goes a LONG way in a breeding program. I never once bred to a black Simmental bull (or any other breed of bull) until I had my own PB black bull being promoted nationally (my avatar Simme Valley Macho As U). That would have been in 2003. But, I already had maybe 25% of my herd was black - just from my original black half bloods.
@Ky hills - you are a sharp, well spoken breeder. Enjoy your comments - well thought out. I am waayyy too blunt. LOL

I use Wagyu tallow in most my cooking. Started coating the cast iron with it before making corn bread and what a difference. Haven't found many foods it doesn't make better.
A true Southerner uses bacon grease for that. But I have seen a lot of smoked brisket that is coated in tallow before it is wrapped.

CAB is a great marketing tool, but it's not enough anymore. Consumers want "ethically sourced", "premium", "sustainable", "humane handling/treatment", "no added hormones", "antibiotic free". Although, the average consumer also thinks all bulls have horns.

It's pretty obvious, when I give ranch tours for Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, I don't have 100% all black cattle. While they promote Black Angus, the purpose is to educate the chefs, butchers, restaurant owners on humane treatment from the ranch, to the feedlot, to processing. And they show them what/how they're fed, the cuts, the marbling, how they're graded, etc.

Celebrity chef Robert Irving with my red-headed stepchild
1687445489169.jpeg
At the Tiffany Cattle Co. feedlot
1687445656294.jpeg
Facility tour
1687445890729.jpeg
1687446045028.jpeg
1687446072029.jpeg

CAB is a great marketing tool, but it's not enough anymore. Consumers want "ethically sourced", "premium", "sustainable", "humane handling/treatment", "no added hormones", "antibiotic free". Although, the average consumer also thinks all bulls have horns.

It's pretty obvious, when I give ranch tours for Creekstone Farms Premium Beef, I don't have 100% all black cattle. While they promote Black Angus, the purpose is to educate the chefs, butchers, restaurant owners on humane treatment from the ranch, to the feedlot, to processing. And they show them what/how they're fed, the cuts, the marbling, how they're graded, etc.

View attachment 31512
View attachment 31513
Facility tour
View attachment 31514
View attachment 31515
View attachment 31516
100% certain that guy on the right in the red shirt and the funky shades knows how to party.

View attachment 31512
View attachment 31513
Facility tour
View attachment 31514
View attachment 31515
View attachment 31516
you left out "grass fed" or the other end, "grain fed". 2 'kinds' of beef, 2 different customers

Well, I don't shop there, but the manager for 3 of the Local Ingle's around here, says they sell CAB 2 to 1 over non CAB beef. Ingles is the highest supermarket we have..hjgher even than Publix. Meat manager at Kroger's where I shop, and is the lowest priced of the supermarkets thus where the "po' people" shop, says CAB is 80% of their total beef sales. So, people with even limited incomes will still pay more for quality. Both places have quit or about quit stocking non-CAB steaks, , roasts, prime rib,, brisket etc. About the only non-CAB they carry will be a little hamburger, stew beef, fajita strips, etc.

Our local Krogers doesn't carry CAB, some do in other areas of the state from what I understand. Our store does carry a product labeled as Angus ( not actual CAB) under their Private Selection brand label.
If we get CAB we have to go to big city that has a Meijers, they are the only store around that I know of that carries CAB.
We don't buy meat at Walmart or Save A Lot which are our only other options for local grocery stores.
When we were going over to Richmond KY to Meijers specifically for CAB, it was often on sale.
We really liked the CAB ground chuck.
Then after I married, my wife was adamant that we finish our own beef, once we started that we haven t bought any more store beef of any kind.
Truthfully, we wouldn't be eating much beef if we had to buy it at the grocery, we can have our own processed much cheaper and it's better than the any of the other CAB included. I've never tried any of the Wagyu stuff and probably won't.

100% certain that guy on the right in the red shirt and the funky shades knows how to party.
Pretty sure!!! He's one of the chefs at Guard and Grace. Most all of them that come out are hilarious (and I've gone to a number of the night-before dinner parties) but totally serious about their "craft" and the quality of their food.

The guy with the lambchop sideburns owns The Chop Shop in Park City, UT. Get the connection?:ROFLMAO:

The tall guy with the man-bun didn't pee his pants - but he did drop trou and jump in the watershed lake after we discussed the importance of water quality. Good times!
1687455287682.jpeg

Had a slaughter house that buys cattle from me bring out the owners and a few employees of 3 restaurants in the area a couple years ago. They wanted to see where some of the beef they serve was raised and ask questions. They were happy with the quality they were buying from the slaughter house and the conditions the cattle were raised in.
Not a black or red animal on the farm.

Had a slaughter house that buys cattle from me bring out the owners and a few employees of 3 restaurants in the area a couple years ago. They wanted to see where some of the beef they serve was raised and ask questions. They were happy with the quality they were buying from the slaughter house and the conditions the cattle were raised in.
Not a black or red animal on the farm.
The processor that we take our cattle to have been very complimentary of our cattle too. Most of the time ours are Hereford or Hereford cross. I've always believed it's about as much to do with finishing as it is with genetics.
Curious, as to what breed or breeds you have, if you don't mind saying?
Years ago we had an injured young Charolais bull that had been on feed for a long time, we gave him to a neighbor, he said it was the best beef he had ever had.
I've also always figured that continental cattle get an undeserved critique of their end product too. We should be getting some Simmental cross calves on the ground next year. I'm looking forward to seeing how they grow out and how the beef is.

Latest posts