some questions on embrios

Help Support CattleToday:

emily_22

Reaction score
sorry i'm just starting out and have herd that you can buy embrios and put them into your cows does it work well? and how do u get them there?

sorry, it is a stupid question, but I'm just starting out.

stop saying your questions are stupid. we all have asked the same questions at some point.

embryos can be placed into a recipient cow with about 50-60% success. a trained vet usually does the work.

they are frozen for transport and storage. there are frozen shippers made just for moving frozen semen and embryos.

emily,

Embyro transfer is one way to leap ahead in terms of quality. If you're close to a vet who has the capability, you can have a recip. cow raise a calf only limited by your imagination and budget.

we all ask stupid questions, and some of us make stupid comments :lol:

They are trying to finally bring embryo technology to the masses. Genex, Alta and Select all have donor heards now and are planning to possibly start marketing through thier catalogs.

i can put you in contact with a group that would be able to get you sexed holstein embryos for about sixty bucks a pop.

emily,

ET(embryo transplant) is an excellent and modest/cost way to get top genetics. Check with local vets who have a good track record. Ask for someone that has used him/her and seek their input of experience. We have a vet that has a 65-70% record which is excellent. He is choosy though on embryo quality.

What are the actual costs involved with ET? what could one expect to pay for such a procedure? I'm sure it all depends on how good vets are but can anyone share with us what they have been charged regarding vets fee for the actual transplant.

Thanks!

it seems like $1000 is a good budget to plan for. if you dont get many eggs, it will be less. if the vet has to drive a long ways to your farm, it might be more. if you get 15-20 eggs, it could be closer to $1500.
this is based on flushing one cow. more cows would be less per head usually.

cost will run :
$250.00 per flush , should include FSH
$50.00 to freeze per egg
$75.00 per egg transferred fresh
milage
I recently flushed 3 donors and froze 23 eggs for 1850.00$
I also recently flushed 4 donors and transfered 19 to recips and froze another 11 and the bill was 3500.00$
I hope this gives you some idea and of course each vet will charge a little different.

Latest posts