Some of the Galloway girls

Help Support CattleToday:

WOW!!
Their hair is a lot longer than I would have guessed. Kudos to your groomers, they did a good job and had the patience.
I know it can take a long time to do a nice job, especially toplines.

*add
My first calves that I had to show had "NO" hair... I know the more hair we get, the longer it takes.

I didn't comment on your bulls, even tho' I was impressed. cuz' I had trouble getting past the hair. Just isn't something I see very often. I would think if the show in Denver is winnable, these heifers would win. And I know nothing about showing, just what I would like to have. Good luck. gs

plumber_greg":1yjt67xs said:
I didn't comment on your bulls, even tho' I was impressed. cuz' I had trouble getting past the hair. Just isn't something I see very often. I would think if the show in Denver is winnable, these heifers would win. And I know nothing about showing, just what I would like to have. Good luck. gs

Thanks.

You are not alone when you say you can't get passed the hair. Many people have the same issue. Most times a Galloway crossed with a slick haired animal will cut the hair in 1/2. That is one reason have a percentage class at the shows. It lets people see what a cross with other breeds gives them. We sell a few 1/2 Galloway 1/2 Galloway bulls, just because the producers are concerened about too much hair. Once they get calves, they typically come back and buy a fullblood.

Here is a few pics to show the hair on Galloway/Hereford baldies. Taken in late summer early fall. Hopefully these work

IMG_7204_zps7bcf9c91.jpg

IMG_7201_zps2908ef5d.jpg

IMG_7155_zpsd148ec8d.jpg

Sorry to be stupid, are the Galloways supposed to be a superior grass finished animal? What is their niche as far as harvesting? gs

plumber_greg":whjiey45 said:
Sorry to be stupid, are the Galloways supposed to be a superior grass finished animal? What is their niche as far as harvesting? gs

Yes, they are very efficient graziers, and will graze just about anything.

The carcasses have fine textured marbling with no seam fat, and little to no backfat.

Galloway cattle typically yield in the low to mid 60% range with almost always being yeild grade 1s and 2s.

Ribeyes are generally 1.5 to 2 sq inches + per 100 lb of carcass.

The meat is low in chloresteral, and high in omega 3. It is tender, juicy and flavorful.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3k3xzdd5 said:
G2 - heifers look awesome!!! I especially like the Dun - she was your cow/calf pair?

3Way - hopefully we all get to meet - I'll be there also.

Thanks, yes she is the calf on the 2 yr old.

Here is a picture of our 3/4 blood Galloway heifer.

She is a March 5th, 2012. Her current weight is 965 lbs.

5152_Heifer_01-06-13_cropped.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3sfnysqj said:
Your weights are incredible. And these are supposed to be SMALL frames cattle??? Powerhouses!

I have two outstanding young bulls on test that weigh that. WOW :tiphat:

Thanks for the comments. Depth of body is something we breed for.

Many Galloways have more performance than most think. They weigh heavier than they look.

Galloway2":3nie6wen said:
You are not alone when you say you can't get passed the hair. Many people have the same issue. Most times a Galloway crossed with a slick haired animal will cut the hair in 1/2. That is one reason have a percentage class at the shows. It lets people see what a cross with other breeds gives them. We sell a few 1/2 Galloway 1/2 Galloway bulls, just because the producers are concerned about too much hair. Once they get calves, they typically come back and buy a fullblood.

Where would you position the Galloway in a 3 way cross selling feeder calves? Kind of lost me with 1/2 Galloway plus 1/2 Galloway?

Stocker Steve":hxl1cwyz said:
Galloway2":hxl1cwyz said:
You are not alone when you say you can't get passed the hair. Many people have the same issue. Most times a Galloway crossed with a slick haired animal will cut the hair in 1/2. That is one reason have a percentage class at the shows. It lets people see what a cross with other breeds gives them. We sell a few 1/2 Galloway 1/2 Galloway bulls, just because the producers are concerned about too much hair. Once they get calves, they typically come back and buy a fullblood.

Where would you position the Galloway in a 3 way cross selling feeder calves? Kind of lost me with 1/2 Galloway plus 1/2 Galloway?

Sorry, that should read 1/2 Galloway 1/2 Angus bulls.

I feel the best place for a the Galloway blood, is in the cow. 1/2 or 3/4 blood Galloway cows are so economical to keep, and forage everywhere and everything. They milk well, have good udders, with rich milk. you can breed them to any breed bull and have a marketable calf, as a feeder, replacements, or fats.

That being said, if you have a mixed crossbred herd, the Galloway bull will give you a uniform group of easy feeding, high yielding calves that bring premiums in the carcass.

They cross well with most everything, because they are not related to the other "BLACK" breeds.

Got to see the girls in person this evening. Very impressive. As was the yearling bull. He is an amazing young bull. Judge thought so also. He was reserve Champion.

I left the NWSS with a newfound respect for Galloway cattle..........their owner is a pretty good guy also! Thanks for the beer Harley!

Latest posts