Some Newbie Questions!

Help Support CattleToday:

crittercrazy

Reaction score
Ok. So here is the deal. Last thursday, we brought home a 2 month old Hereford Calf. I realize that this is early for a calf to be weaned, but the farmer assured us he would be fine. He is a very well built boy. We have him on grass, calf starter, and Milk replacer. He loves his grass, and picks through his Grain, but wont toch the calf starter. This boy had never been handled, till we got him. so he wont take a bottle. He will take some of the milk from a bucket, but dosent seem to like it at all. My question is, will he be okay on his grain and the grass alone?? or should I try harder to get him to take the milk?? Is there something else I could add to make him happier?? My biggest concern is that he isnt eating enough.

What about handling?? I have sat in his pen with him, since the day we brought him home. He has gotten so much better. He will let me sit near by him, and gently rub him some, before he gets bored and walks off. He will also come to the fence, and smell you, take a lick of your hand, then walk away. Should I just continue with things this way?? I would realy like to work on getting a halter on this boy. The biggest reason, is that he is to be castrated soon, and I want it to be as less stressfull as possible on him.

I woudl realy appreciate any insight you can give me, as I am a first time calf owner. :cboy:

crittercrazy":1vpej6ts said:
Ok. So here is the deal. Last thursday, we brought home a 2 month old Hereford Calf. I realize that this is early for a calf to be weaned, but the farmer assured us he would be fine. He is a very well built boy. We have him on grass, calf starter, and Milk replacer. He loves his grass, and picks through his Grain, but wont toch the calf starter. This boy had never been handled, till we got him. so he wont take a bottle. He will take some of the milk from a bucket, but dosent seem to like it at all. My question is, will he be okay on his grain and the grass alone?? or should I try harder to get him to take the milk?? Is there something else I could add to make him happier?? My biggest concern is that he isnt eating enough.

What about handling?? I have sat in his pen with him, since the day we brought him home. He has gotten so much better. He will let me sit near by him, and gently rub him some, before he gets bored and walks off. He will also come to the fence, and smell you, take a lick of your hand, then walk away. Should I just continue with things this way?? I would realy like to work on getting a halter on this boy. The biggest reason, is that he is to be castrated soon, and I want it to be as less stressfull as possible on him.

I woudl realy appreciate any insight you can give me, as I am a first time calf owner. :cboy:

Two months old - sounds like he was on a bucket - not a bottle. Which is fine keep him there. Put some water out there and leave it there all day.

Or take away the liquids for a day and then put the replacer in front of him.

What was he getting at his original home?

He does need milk or grain - sounds to me like a "what the he!! is going on" reaction.

He'll take to the grain and dry feeds soon enough. Let him settle in. No need to force the issue. You can spend your way to the poor house providing a calf delight - and they turn their noses up anyways - takes time.

I usually get kicked for this - but we turn out all bottle calves (provided they are drinking milk) and leave them with the herd - wife takes the 4 wheeler out to the calves and feeds them milk three times a day - never provide them with grain and they do fine. By summers end they are all about even in size. Probably a little stealing going on as well.

I am one who does not recommend petting and touching. Cut his nuts off asap - put him is a shady place and leave him be.

You planning to eat this guy? Then do not treat him like a pet.

I think you are panicking at this stage - let him settle and leave him be - then figure it out.

Probably should have bought two animals - herd instincts are strong.

Take a little time - leave him be and relax - call us in a couple of days.

Regards

Bez+

Thanks for the insight! He has a large water trough in his pen, and drinks plenty of water. I would love to talk to the farmer about what he was fed before, but I seriously think the guy is either suffereing from alzeimers, or is going insane! LOL!! So no help there! But I guess i should just keep an eye on him, and hope he calms down enough to eat more properly.

Yes he is inteneded for the table. But I wnated him to at least be handleable. After all he will be a large strong boy! His daddy was a real gentle giant, so I am hoping he will be the same. I am not looking for a pet, but looking to at least have a steer that can be taken care of with no issues. For instance worming, fly sprays and what have you.

He is due to be castrated by the end of the week.

Tanks for the help.

Made some progress Tonight!! Tonight he Ate more gran than he has since he has been here, so that makes me happy! I think he is gonna do quite well. I am thinking that by the end of the week, we will let him into the larger pature. :banana:

Im fairly new too, but here is some things i have learned in the last year with my cows. I bought a red angus heifer at 8 weeks old. (I'll probably get flamed for this, but oh well). I prefer to get my calfs as young as possible because i dont have a cattle chute, and have to halter break all of my cows and have them friendly enough to get in a 14X14 stall in the barn, get a halter on them and be able to treat them with wormer, ect as needed without a chute. When we got the red angus we would give her water in a bucket, and every am (when she was hungry) we would put a handfull of grain in a bucket and leave it in her pen. After a couple of hours we would go give her milk. Eventually they will get the whole grain thing. All of my steers are just as friendly as my hiefers and cows. I can walk up and touch any one in the pasture. One thing i found was the best way to make friends was peperment horse treats or peperment candy. My cows LOVE them, and i have used them to friendly all 9 of my cows. I throw some in thier pen, and eventullay the smell will get thier attention and they will lick them. I think hold some in my hand and let them smell, eventually they take one out of my hand. I would get him dewormed asap and i would also get him castrated. Is there a small place you can get him pinned up to get a halter on him? If you can get one on him then its easier to make them friendly. (you can grab the lead so they cant run from you as easy).

Well I was able to catch him, and to get the halter on him, only to find the halter was way too big! Ugghhhh... It was the smallest one they sold, supposedly calf sized. Anyone got any ideas for a smaller halter?? Dont realy wanna wait till he grows into this one! lOL!! Great idea with the Peppermint treats!! I was looking for something to give him, so I could get him friendly enough to hadle, for wormings and such. I appreciate all the input! Keep it comming! :clap:

You could try a goat halter, they are made the same way, or you can use a rope halter. We use the calf halters though (they dont rub like the rope) and attached a 4ft lead to it. I left the lead attached so they would step on it and sort of halter break themselfs. I did this with my mustangs and it worked well, and seems to work well with the cows too.

You could buy the largest goat/sheep halter they have and it should work fine. when breaking our show animals we would find something they like (peppermint or whatever it is, grain... etc..) and give it to them each time and they will relate the halter with something good and eventually make it easier. I've heard some people play music for them while they're tied.. I don't know if that helps or not but i guess it could hurt..

TNMasterBeefProducer":1rfpiktk said:
Meador_m":1rfpiktk said:
You could buy the largest goat/sheep halter they have and it should work fine. when breaking our show animals we would find something they like (peppermint or whatever it is, grain... etc..) and give it to them each time and they will relate the halter with something good and eventually make it easier. I've heard some people play music for them while they're tied.. I don't know if that helps or not but i guess it could hurt..

I cant understand what music would do for them other than maybe desensitize them to loud noises.

Soothing, not loud, music has been shown to relieve stress in cattle. Dairy animals have especially been researched with music and usually give more milk.

My cows prefer Beethoven over Bach.

MikeC":2ij77hso said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":2ij77hso said:
Meador_m":2ij77hso said:

I cant understand what music would do for them other than maybe desensitize them to loud noises.

Soothing, not loud, music has been shown to relieve stress in cattle. Dairy animals have especially been researched with music and usually give more milk.

My cows prefer Beethoven over Bach.
you want to mellow em out, pop in some hagg :cowboy:

Well the Bull was successfully banded tonight! :banana:

as far as music goes, well I would definitely prefer hagg over bethoven or Bach! :mrgreen:

Latest posts