Some more pics from our show..

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the bull in picture 10 a lot better than the one you all seem to like, looks a little deeper to me, doesn't have the mass of the other bull, but I like his tpoline, hip and rear let structure better and the muscle shape better too in the rear end.
Great pics Lorenzo, thanks.

rocket2222":27j0p26x said:
I like the bull in picture 10 a lot better than the one you all seem to like, looks a little deeper to me, doesn't have the mass of the other bull, but I like his tpoline, hip and rear let structure better and the muscle shape better too in the rear end.
Great pics Lorenzo, thanks.

Yeah I quite like him too. Like you say he isn't as heavy as the other bull but he is still very smooth and complete. How long is the brush of his tail!!! (obviously not a structural comment :oops: )

EDIT: Also it is interesting you guys are using nose grips in the bulls. All bulls we show here in Western Australia MUST have a permanent nose ring.

HerefordSire":1zvyn6i1 said:
RD-Sam":1zvyn6i1 said:
57.5 inches, that is under 7 frame, correct?

I think you need the age at measurement then plug in the formula below.
Frame Score = -11.548 + .04878 (Height) - 0.0289 (Days of Age) + 0.00001947 (Days of Age)2 + 0.0000334 (Height) (Days of Age)

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1091w.htm

Bull is 1,411 days old based upon your original data. It took me a while to figure out the exact number of days.

Here is the corrected formula after noticing a typo in the reference I posted above.

Frame Score = -11.548 + .4878 (Height) - 0.0289 (Days of Age) + 0.00001947 (Days of Age)2 + 0.0000334 (Height) (Days of Age)

However, I think the bull is a little too old for the formula to work right. If you slap the following formula into Excel, the result rounds to 17.20 which is incorrect. It does work for younger bulls because I tried it.

-11.548 + (0.4878 * 57.5) - (0.0289 * 1411) + (0.00001947 * 1411* 1411) + (0.0000334 * 57.5 * 1411)

By following this link...

http://www.hereford.ca/THE/FrameScoreChart.pdf

we can estimate this 46.38 month old bull to be about frome 6.0

If you use the 34 month on the chart it only makes him about a 5.5 frame. He isn't as big in frame as you thought, he is a massive bull though.

RD-Sam":23p9wymr said:
If you use the 34 month on the chart it only makes him about a 5.5 frame. He isn't as big in frame as you thought, he is a massive bull though.

Look again since he is 46.38 months old and not 34 months old. Frame 6.0 is a little under my liking but close enough. I just don't like the short squat Texans :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do like the 3,000 pound weight for a bull though. There is no need in playing around with the little boy bulls. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If he was 57.5 at 34 months that would make him about 5.5 frame. I would assume he might grow a tad more with age, so at most, he is about 5.5 frame, at least that is how I see it.

RD-Sam":2i9layfm said:
If he was 57.5 at 34 months that would make him about 5.5 frame. I would assume he might grow a tad more with age, so at most, he is about 5.5 frame, at least that is how I see it.

He is a big bull, but moderate in frame, the breed needs more of those.

Come on, Knersie, I KNOW you have an opinion! And I, for one, would like to know what you and others think!

George

I don't see his hindlegs as much of a concern, heavy muscle seems to favour a touch extra set in the hocks. I have a bigger problem with the very typical Online break behind the shoulders. If I didn't know he was an Online I might have overlooked it because he certainly has lots to offer for any breeding program, but Online was too consistant in breeding that fault for me to risk bringing something into my herd that I haven't got now.

Lorenzo, who was the champion?

Knersie, that isn't the only fault with the Onlines. He is a good bull, but too many holes for me. The bull that interests me though is the front bull in the first picture. He may be pretty fat, and it might just be the camera angle, but he looks like a very wide standing, deep chested, deep quartered bull.

Lorenzo, I too enjoy the pictures. How much influence does winning the show have on peoples breeding decisions in your country?

Brian

KNERSIE":k9i6ftdx said:
If I didn't know he was an Online I might have overlooked it because he certainly has lots to offer for any breeding program, but Online was too consistant in breeding that fault for me to risk bringing something into my herd that I haven't got now.

you may also be overlooking who knows what... and how the heck do you say he would have lots to offer any breeding program. maybe he was born prolapse and his mothers teats drag the ground and maybe every cow in his pedigree had cancer - being an online could be the least of his problems. someone on here is already to ai to the bull by seeing a picture of a show bull??? I just don't get it

I thought the hereford bulls in those pictures looked good too... but hasn't anyone ever gone to a show before. They don't look any different from any other show animals.

Hereford76":6ruuiir7 said:
KNERSIE":6ruuiir7 said:
If I didn't know he was an Online I might have overlooked it because he certainly has lots to offer for any breeding program, but Online was too consistant in breeding that fault for me to risk bringing something into my herd that I haven't got now.

you may also be overlooking who knows what... and how the heck do you say he would have lots to offer any breeding program. maybe he was born prolapse and his mothers teats drag the ground and maybe every cow in his pedigree had cancer - being an online could be the least of his problems. someone on here is already to ai to the bull by seeing a picture of a show bull??? I just don't get it
I thought the hereford bulls in those pictures looked good too... but hasn't anyone ever gone to a show before. They don't look any different from any other show animals.
;-)

KNERSIE":2nzibwho said:
Lorenzo, who was the champion?

I am Lorenzo's assistant ambassador for the USA. He wanted me to tell you all the winners were Online 122L sons. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just kidding Lorenzo. How is the baby doing?

Well, with all the talk of importing semen, and the bull that most seemed to like was half Canadian bred [ online ]. I thought I would check out how the rest of the Herefords in that show were bred, although not all of them have American/Canadian bloodlines, you would be surprised how many of them have North American breeding. Plenty of Remitall genetics, some Feltons, quite a few have 29F and 19D, Star Lakes represented fairly well too with a number of different bulls, horned has some of Holden and Cooper in them. So it turns out alot of those great grass genetics are right in your back yard, all you have to do is call your local semen supplier and get your order in. ;-)

That may be true, but what matters is what the offspring look like from the US and Canadian breedings. We do have some good sires here, but you don't find that many that look like the bull most like in this thread. His dams side was from there, I would like to see the pedigree for sure. I think Online semen is $1000 per straw now, not everyone can run out and try and duplicate that. :cowboy:

HerefordSire":18djcriw said:
Just kidding Lorenzo. How is the baby doing?

The baby is doing fine !! Just cutting some teeths so it keeps everyone up at night :mrgreen:
He has grown enough to share the bath with his older brother :cboy:

Thanks for asking :wave:

L

rocket2222":1n19pa22 said:
So it turns out alot of those great grass genetics are right in your back yard, all you have to do is call your local semen supplier and get your order in. ;-)

My country have been importing them since the 1864....first from the british Islands and later from USA and Canada.

So we just have been trying to improve these noble animals since then, and we will continue importing semen from any good bulls we can find around the world, specially the States and Canada where you have very serious and knowledgable men.

I read somewhere that near 45% of the farmers in the States has 50 or less cows, I took it from a very good american book I have just bought, so it seems that maybe here, because of our type of meat production more extensive, and without many feedlots, some people have a lot of experience producing mothers as we have 7 million of hereford's heads.

Nearly no one does AI in the meat races here, only the top breeders, not the comercial farmers. As the season starts you have many auctions around the country and everyone buys commercial bulls or use their own bulls.

And believe me, these common bulls do their homework very well.. ;-)
And guess what..all of them will have some british or american or canadian blood on them as they are non indigenous to my country.. :pretty:

L

RD-Sam":2psp8912 said:
That may be true, but what matters is what the offspring look like from the US and Canadian breedings. We do have some good sires here, but you don't find that many that look like the bull most like in this thread. His dams side was from there, I would like to see the pedigree for sure. I think Online semen is $1000 per straw now, not everyone can run out and try and duplicate that. :cowboy:

Actually his dam has Knight Ryder breeding a couple of generations back and although I couldn't confirm it as I could get the link to work, BT Butler probably only 3 gen. back, not exactly a hundred years of home grown breeding.
Theres no easy way out, no magical genetics, you get what you want by selecting for it by what works in your environment.

Yo have beautiful children Lorenzo. Your own children and grandchildren are precious. Thanks for the great pictures of cattle and country. I'd say lots of board posters have googled or whatever to have a look at your country. I have. We do live in a beautiful world in one way or the other.

rocket2222":1p49fbfo said:
Theres no easy way out, no magical genetics, you get what you want by selecting for it by what works in your environment.

I agree with you 100%.

L

Australian":3oev6cwd said:
Yo have beautiful children Lorenzo. Your own children and grandchildren are precious.

Grandchildren ???? :lol:

They are my two sons, I am not so old yet :cboy: :lol:
Thanks.
L

Latest posts