Snake Protection...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I just thought with all this talk about snakes I would share what I wear when I go out in the woods or fields like I did today. I use to wear chaps but they were a PITA getting on and off and these things I keep in the truck tool box I love them they are quick and hopefully work. I just toss on real quick if im making a quick trip like today.

depends on where you are.....

I am in central Va and the most common is the copperhead....but they are everywhere this year....

in south Eastern Va we have the cottonmouth....

also in south eastern va we have the canebreak rattler.....most feasome snake I have ever been near....big as my arm and lightening fast....saw one strike a rat in a cage one time and it was so fast that I actually did not see it....but I did see it....

In the mountains we have the timber rattler....

Sky, I use the same ones when I'm working in the woods. I've tried all kinds of leggings and have not found any that I really like. I hate the chaps too. They're hard to get on and off and they're hot but they are better in bier patches. I take those plastic ones and cut the knee guard part off because it catches vines to bad. I've been thinking about trying the snake boots but man they look hot to me.

Note to self....BE MORE CAREFUL AND AWARE OF SNAKES!!!!!!! We are overrun with cottonmouths this year. I walked out this morning in full dark and strolled down the little path to my outdoor shower, and, and, NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT SNAKES!!!! A pair of shower slippers would have probably protected me, right? RIGHT????

melking":3t8hlc7t said:
Note to self....BE MORE CAREFUL AND AWARE OF SNAKES!!!!!!! We are overrun with cottonmouths this year. I walked out this morning in full dark and strolled down the little path to my outdoor shower, and, and, NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT SNAKES!!!! A pair of shower slippers would have probably protected me, right? RIGHT????

RIGHT!!!!

Sky....anything is better than nothing.

I have a pair of "half-chaps" that I used to use when riding. They are great for walking the woods and fields. They zip on/off and cover the the front of my shoes as well. I like to think that the heavy leather/suade combined with my denim jeans and socks would give me some kind of protection.

Chuckie-----pdfangus listed the same snakes I was going to list. In my part of Va, near the mountains, the most common "evil" snakes are Copperheads and Timber Rattlers. Then we also have the Black Widow spiders and (contrary to what so-called proffessionals say) Brown Recluse spiders.

Katherine

Deepsouth":orevahew said:
Sky, I use the same ones when I'm working in the woods. I've tried all kinds of leggings and have not found any that I really like. I hate the chaps too. They're hard to get on and off and they're hot but they are better in bier patches. I take those plastic ones and cut the knee guard part off because it catches vines to bad. I've been thinking about trying the snake boots but man they look hot to me.

I love those chaps. My buddy uses the snake boots that go up to you knee almost and said they are really hot. I love those plastic ones. I only use when going in tall grass so the knee guard doesnt bother me much. If I go in briars like during hunting season I wear the chaps keeps briars from tearing my arse up lol

When they are crawling I'll wear snake boots but normally I don't wear anything unless I'll be in the woods a long time then I'll wear chaps.

Jo, Ummm... where did you get those pics? If I had a snake tangled up on me like that..... I am quite sure I would ruin a good pair of undies.

I hate stepping on snakes. Once I stepped on a itty bitty mocassin and didn't notice it until my daughter said "Mom, you are standing on a snake." I looked down and the little thing was striking at my shoe. I was more worried about it running up my pant leg and did a little frantic get off the snake dance. The snake took off and my kids just about died laughing. That happened 20 years ago and they still talk about it.

There is a reason I never wear shorts. You never know what is out there.

The reason I ask, when I was a kid, my parents never mentioned snakes. I played in the woods and played in the fescue fields with shorts and tennis shoes all my life. Back then, they had the fields in what they call "Soil Bank." You could not mow them. The fescue would get so old, that it would form mounds where it would lay over. My brother and I would tunnel through the fescue on our bellies and see how far we could go. We played in the creek all the time, as we never stayed in the house. The only snakes I saw were dead ones in the road.

We have copperheads and water moccasins here too. I just don't worry about them. I would be miserable if I had to look at the ground as I walked instead of looking up at the cows or the scenery. I have some in laws that will not step outside of mowed grass in fear of a snake. It makes me crazy as it can put a halt to some simple activities. One will not walk around the back of my house because I have ferns growing in my flower beds around the walk and she cannot see in-between them, and a snake could be there. She will call and ask for me to let her in the side door. :hide:
I understand the fear people have, but I am glad my parents didn't scare me about it as it would have changed my childhood.

If I have my chaps or leggins on i dont really look where I walk as much but either way you should still be watching if you are in snake territory.

chippie":34h35hn0 said:
little thing was striking at my shoe. I was more worried about it running up my pant leg and did a little frantic get off the snake dance. The snake took off and my kids just about died laughing.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :cry2: :cry2: :lol2: :cry2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh......I SO needed that laugh!!!!!

Katherine

Jogeephus":1l1rvcrm said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OMG

Yeah.....I'd have to change my undies too!

You've got me beat by a mile! My last 'close encounter' involved me being on my knees, picking cherry tomatoes and lo and behold a juvenile Copperhead had decided to coil itself right up against one of my knees! :shock:

Katherine

had a wife and two dogs bitten by Copperheads.....

wife has also been bitten by Brown recluse as have a number of other people I know....

pdfangus":28u015mt said:
ONE OF THEM BIG CANE BREAK RATTLERS WOULD NOT ONLY BITE YOU....LOOKS LIKE TO ME THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO BREAK YOUR LEG...

I was struck in the leg by a big timber rattler one day and it felt like someone hit my leg with their fist. I had chaps on so I wasn't bitten but venom or not I'm sure everyone in two counties heard the sound of a woman screaming. When I finally regained my composure I cut a switch about 10 foot long and beat him till I couldn't beat him any longer. Then I rested and beat him some more till he wasn't nothing but a stain on the forest floor.

No rattle, no warning just struck me. That ain't right but he won't make the same mistake twice.

Jogeephus":56fpy5o4 said:
pdfangus":56fpy5o4 said:
ONE OF THEM BIG CANE BREAK RATTLERS WOULD NOT ONLY BITE YOU....LOOKS LIKE TO ME THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO BREAK YOUR LEG...

I was struck in the leg by a big timber rattler one day and it felt like someone hit my leg with their fist. I had chaps on so I wasn't bitten but venom or not I'm sure everyone in two counties heard the sound of a woman screaming. When I finally regained my composure I cut a switch about 10 foot long and beat him till I couldn't beat him any longer. Then I rested and beat him some more till he wasn't nothing but a stain on the forest floor.

No rattle, no warning just struck me. That ain't right but he won't make the same mistake twice.

Jo you almost had to buy me a new laptop... I took a drink and was reading what you said and almost spit it all over it. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts