Lightning Protection - High Tensile Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

mml373

Reaction score
I have high tensile electric fence on part of my property where sheep are kept. I am moving the charger inside because there's no sense in leaving an expensive charger out where it is up for grabs. I know others have similarly moved their chargers inside.

Wondering about lightning protection. Speedrite makes a lightning diverter, which I plan to use, but wonder what else can be done to protect the charger from lightning on the fence, and also the building in which it will be housed. Thanks for any helpful replies.

Try the design in the pictures. I was loosing a charger about 2 times a year until i did this. Notice the burnt spot on the ground rod. The lightning will jump off onto the ground rod instead of turning back up to go into my barn where the charger is.

Who takes chargers?

Tweekers
Stealing chargers is more common than you would think!

I have a Speedrite protector and since I put it on I have not lost a single charger. Before getting it, I was losing a charger about once a year. Zareba makes a lighting arrestor for some of their chargers. But once it gets hit, it has to be replaced.

I complained about the price when I bought them. Would hate to be the person I catch on my property.

Sorry about the couple post. It wouldn't load for reply.

Try the design in the pictures. I was loosing a charger about 2 times a year until i did this. Notice the burnt spot on the ground rod. The lightning will jump off onto the ground rod instead of turning back up to go into my barn where the charger is.
Pictures are worth a thousand words... most of the time. Can you please elaborate on the setup?

Pictures are worth a thousand words... most of the time. Can you please elaborate on the setup?
The pictures show about all i can tell. When connecting the fence to my charger which is 75 ft away inside the barn, instead of going directly to the charger i went down the post almost to the 8ft ground rod and made a sharp turn back up the post and then to the barn and charger. Almost touch the ground rod with the wire but not close enough that the spark from the charger will jump across. Have to use coated wire.
When the lightning hits the fence it is moving so fast and so strong itwon't make the sharp turn but jumps across to the ground rod instead.
You can see on the top of the ground rod where the lightning has sparked across.