Solar Fence Charger

Help Support CattleToday:

Going to have to get one for a place with no electric. What makes them work well... any tricks? I have no experience with them whatsoever.

Who makes a good unit?
The sun makes them work well.
Most will work well for a couple of overcast days but a big run of bad weather will test them out and might need a back up battery.

Ken

Love my Parmac 12 volt solar chargers. I have two or three in use at all times.
My stock are broke to them and I do not worry about a string of cloudy days.
In very dry weather you need a good ground, but the cattle rarely challenge them even then.

I run a wire about 25 yards back from the boundary fence where I have a neighbor that has a bull. Each morning they talk to one another but so far the one wire has kept my bull home. I let the sheep graze the space between the boundary fence and the hot wire.

3 would probably be better.
Check the last rod with the charger going with a tester that has the wire and pin on the end. If you hold the tester prong to the last ground rod and put the pin on the wire end as far way as you can and touch the ground, you will see the remaining need for grounding or not.

Check the last rod with the charger going with a tester that has the wire and pin on the end. If you hold the tester prong to the last ground rod and put the pin on the wire end as far way as you can and touch the ground, you will see the remaining need for grounding or not.
Exactly

Parmak dealt with them for 25 years on 110 volt house current and DC 12 volt current..good turn around on work if struck by lightning or such...put solar panel in bright sun with a good marine 12 volt battery...or best case use your house current and it will kill weeds along the way as they grow up...you will learn if you pay attention

I've borrowed a Speedrite S-1000 to see if I like it.

I'm going to try grounding it to an existing barbed wire fence. Anyone do this with success?

It's rocky as ****. So hoping I don't have to drive ground rods. Probably will though.

Parmak dealt with them for 25 years on 110 volt house current and DC 12 volt current..good turn around on work if struck by lightning or such...put solar panel in bright sun with a good marine 12 volt battery...or best case use your house current and it will kill weeds along the way as they grow up...you will learn if you pay attention
I own 4 plug in Parmak's. I love them for the money.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts