solar fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

klm3030

Reaction score
I am going to try a solar powered electric fence to keep deer out of the garden. Any recommendations for a fencer, wire, post etc. Garden size about 50 X 25, if it works may expand it. I'm thinking 3 wires. I am looking at a [Zareba ESP10M-Z[/H1]

I am going to try a solar powered electric fence to keep deer out of the garden. Any recommendations for a fencer, wire, post etc. Garden size about 50 X 25, if it works may expand it. I'm thinking 3 wires. I am looking at a [Zareba ESP10M-Z[/H1]
Not to burst your bubble but I doubt if you can get enough produce off a 50 x 25 to justify a fencer and the posts and wire required to
keep deer out. The unit you reference is about .15 joule . I have seen deer raise the wire on a 10. joule with their antlers and rip out
a fence. I can continue this later but I have to attend to another matter. sorry

I have this one on my electric fence (https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...hYkomJed2JiFcYnmSnFJG9OZpHHV3fEBoCyKsQAvD_BwE), and it seems to work pretty good. It has an output of about 1.4 joules. Buying a .15 joule charger is a waste of your money in my opinion; just does not have enough power to power through any weeds, and lets face it you are going to have some weeds. Keeping them cut down helps, but sometime we get busy and can't get it done when it needs done.

Not to burst your bubble but I doubt if you can get enough produce off a 50 x 25 to justify a fencer and the posts and wire required to
keep deer out. The unit you reference is about .15 joule . I have seen deer raise the wire on a 10. joule with their antlers and rip out
a fence. I can continue this later but I have to attend to another matter. sorry

Try this to get the deer attention before they tear it down.
Take aluminum foil and wrap one end around the wire. Put peanut butter on the foil and then fold it over and wrap the other end around the wire. The foil will get their attention and when they smell the peanut butter they will very easily put their nose against the foil trying to find the peanut butter.

Try this to get the deer attention before they tear it down.
Take aluminum foil and wrap one end around the wire. Put peanut butter on the foil and then fold it over and wrap the other end around the wire. The foil will get their attention and when they smell the peanut butter they will very easily put their nose against the foil trying to find the peanut butter.
I agree for around a garden. For a rotational grazing system, not so much thank you.

I agree for around a garden. For a rotational grazing system, not so much thank you.
I have a total rotation system and divide it with poly wire all winter. Once the deer realize what and where the wire is I don't have any problem with them tearing it down.
It also works even better for hogs.

Not to burst your bubble but I asked for advice on a solar fencer, I have been using that garden for over 30 years, I'll be the judge on wheather its worth it.
Good for you. Success in this is like most other endeavors- taking persistence. Your deer may be crossed with corrientes-type deer and be crazy for veggies on top of that. I have luck putting white or gold streamers on the fence so they can see it better and avoid just running through it to start with. Keep the soil moist under the wire so they will get the full power of the charger. Best of luck.

Recently I see very few deers after I let a couple Amish neighbors sons hunt. Also their dad told me about wild hogs they had on camera on the back side of the farm. Since then I see the sighs of wild hogs rutting. I told their dad lower the boom on hogs also.

Getting back to topic if you have people around you can trust, let them thin the deer herd and a fence want be needed as much around the garden. Everybody's situation is different though.

Do you have problems with wild hogs? I did not realize that they were that close.
As jltrent said there are some wild hogs but actually I was referring to keeping tame hogs in not wild hogs out. We have one guy raising and selling "Pasture" hogs and they are kept in with 1 wire after he gets them trained to the fence.

Recently I see very few deers after I let a couple Amish neighbors sons hunt. Also their dad told me about wild hogs they had on camera on the back side of the farm. Since then I see the sighs of wild hogs rutting. I told their dad lower the boom on hogs also.

Getting back to topic if you have people around you can trust, let them thin the deer herd and a fence want be needed as much around the garden. Everybody's situation is different though.
A friend in Blue Hollow near you has a pot belly pig and back before Christmas I commented about how fat she was. A week later she had pigs. I ask where he found a boar and he said to his knowledge there wasn't a boar anywhere around but of course there had to be. Then in February my brother had some pictures of a wild boar 1/2 mile away.

A friend in Blue Hollow near you has a pot belly pig and back before Christmas I commented about how fat she was. A week later she had pigs. I ask where he found a boar and he said to his knowledge there wasn't a boar anywhere around but of course there had to be. Then in February my brother had some pictures of a wild boar 1/2 mile away.
I suppose we had better be getting ready. I have yet to see any sign of them. But I am sure it won't be long.

I suppose we had better be getting ready. I have yet to see any sign of them. But I am sure it won't be long.
Shoot every one you see and you still will have some. They have been 10 miles south of me for years but none here yet. Maybe the Amish boys will help. They just recently moved a community in our area.

Latest posts