Solar Fence Charger

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm no electrical engineer, but I would think the barbed wire fence could 'come up short' if you get into significant drought conditions... a few 8-ft ground rods driven deep can access soil moisture and ground more effectively than a thousand t-posts that only go a foot or so into the dry, dry soil.

I have 2 Pakmar 12v solar chargers. I have had them for 15 years or more. At least 10 of those years I was in western Washington. It was cloudy and rainy there for days on end. They always worked.

Yessir it do. I figured it was worth a try. If no luck I'll be putting rods in for sure.

Side note - I been getting feed from your buddy Butch the last couple months.
As Lucky_P said, the fence will act as good ground as long as the soil stays damp. It will not work so well when it gets dry.
I will be seeing Butch this week. I will tell him you said hello.

I've borrowed a Speedrite S-1000 to see if I like it.

I'm going to try grounding it to an existing barbed wire fence. Anyone do this with success?

It's rocky as ****. So hoping I don't have to drive ground rods. Probably will though.
Use a posthole auger and bore the top 4 feet. Then you only have the drive the bottom 4. Add and mis well some sodium bentonite to the soil as you fill the part that you dug with the auger. That effectively gives you a ground rod the diameter of the auger in that top section.

The folks down under, where Ken is located, make some darn good chargers. Stayfix used to have a 64-joule model I wanted. I believe Stafix was acquired by Speedrite and they discontinued the Stafix brand. Speedrite charges are very good too. I have a couple of their fence testers.
I think most of those are made by the Kiwis.

Ken

The fence grounding did not work for me with hundreds of T posts. I moved the unit near a pond. Drove a ground rod in the mud. Took a tiller and ran a deep trench to the charger to bury the ground cable in. About 100 feet long. There has never been a problem since.