Simmental vs. Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope you got em cheap. Cuz other than to strangle at the end of a rope I find no use for them in the known universe!

How about you tell me what's RIGHT about them.

3waycross":1g6wtqwz said:
I hope you got em cheap. Cuz other than to strangle at the end of a rope I find no use for them in the known universe!

Little to no input cost. Extreme hardiness. Will survive where most beef breeds would parish. With a polled contintental bull over then, they will wean a decent calf. A solid color one at that. Can run 2-3 to 1 vs traditional beef breeds on same acreage. I don't like they way they look nor do I own any, but I would contend because of the high stocking rate you can have with those type cattle and bc they can survive on the poorest quality grass/dirt, there is as much if not more $ to be made running them. ( In Environments that don't provide enough roughage for beefier cattle. If 1 dies you're not out too much $. You should be able to recoup your initial investment in the first calf crop: something that is highly unlikely running higher quality, more expensive cattle.

Massey135":sls2zgyk said:
3waycross":sls2zgyk said:

Little to no input cost. Extreme hardiness. Will survive where most beef breeds would parish. With a polled contintental bull over then, they will wean a decent calf. A solid color one at that. Can run 2-3 to 1 vs traditional beef breeds on same acreage. I don't like they way they look nor do I own any, but I would contend because of the high stocking rate you can have with those type cattle and bc they can survive on the poorest quality grass/dirt, there is as much if not more $ to be made running them. ( In Environments that don't provide enough roughage for beefier cattle. If 1 dies
you're not out too much $. You should be able to recoup your initial investment in the first calf crop: something that is highly unlikely running higher quality, more expensive cattle.
Ranch about 20 miles from me runs around a thousand head like that. I haven't seen the calves except from the road though.

Massey135":1f9rw05d said:
3waycross":1f9rw05d said:

Little to no input cost. Extreme hardiness. Will survive where most beef breeds would parish. With a polled contintental bull over then, they will wean a decent calf. A solid color one at that. Can run 2-3 to 1 vs traditional beef breeds on same acreage. I don't like they way they look nor do I own any, but I would contend because of the high stocking rate you can have with those type cattle and bc they can survive on the poorest quality grass/dirt, there is as much if not more $ to be made running them. ( In Environments that don't provide enough roughage for beefier cattle. If 1 dies you're not out too much $. You should be able to recoup your initial investment in the first calf crop: something that is highly unlikely running higher quality, more expensive cattle.

What's really neat about them is when your sorrya$$ neighbor is too cheap to buy a heifer bull and instead he uses one of these horned rats on his heifers and after it's done impregnating all of his heifers with little rats he jumps the fence and gores your very expensive POLLED bull and breeds all of your registered cows. I expecially like that about them.

Of course there also the genius up here who bred over 100 real nice red and blk heifers to a couple of the horned rats and had them calve in Jan, two weeks later the little hairless Mexican wonders almost all froze to death in a snowstorm. I still fondly remember that as the year Christmas came late.

3waycross":2ozjhsmi said:
Massey135":2ozjhsmi said:
3waycross":2ozjhsmi said:

Little to no input cost. Extreme hardiness. Will survive where most beef breeds would parish. With a polled contintental bull over then, they will wean a decent calf. A solid color one at that. Can run 2-3 to 1 vs traditional beef breeds on same acreage. I don't like they way they look nor do I own any, but I would contend because of the high stocking rate you can have with those type cattle and bc they can survive on the poorest quality grass/dirt, there is as much if not more $ to be made running them. ( In Environments that don't provide enough roughage for beefier cattle. If 1 dies
you're not out too much $. You should be able to recoup your initial investment in the first calf crop: something that is highly unlikely running higher quality, more expensive cattle.

What's really neat about them is when your sorrya$$ neighbor is too cheap to buy a heifer bull and instead he uses one of these horned rats on his heifers and after it's done impregnating all of his heifers with little rats he jumps the fence and gores your very expensive POLLED bull and breeds all
of your registered cows. I expecially like that about them.

Of course there also the genius up here who bred over 100 real nice red and blk heifers to a couple of the horned rats and had them calve in Jan, two weeks later the little hairless Mexican wonders almost all froze to death in a snowstorm. I still fondly remember that as the year Christmas came late.
So....you're saying you don't like them??? :lol: :lol:

Oh no Isom you misunderstand my sentiments. I consider them to be one of the very best things I have ever seen covered by the crosshairs in a Leupold 6.5-24 30mm riflescope! :cowboy:

especially their testicles.

3waycross":2fydtgm2 said:
Oh no Isom you misunderstand my sentiments. I consider them to be one of the very best things I have ever seen covered by the crosshairs in a Leupold 6.5-24 30mm riflescope! :cowboy:

lol. warn the owner once and take aim the next time. You can add another thing we agree on, I love Leupold. I have the 4.5-15 x 40 on my .270.

Massey135":cerhlnk9 said:
3waycross":cerhlnk9 said:

lol. warn the owner once and take aim the next time. You can add another thing we agree on, I love Leupold. I have the 4.5-15 x 40 on my .270.

I had the absolute pleasure of drilling that SOB in the nuts with a ball bearing out of a wrist rocket last summer.

They are capable of achieving some amazing heights given the proper motivation!

My brother-in-law was running a couple hundred head of corriente's up in SW Idaho on his ranch. All for strangling purposes. He used longhorn bulls though. Those little cows spit out a calf like a grape seed and they hit the ground running. He used to have contracts with some rodeo companies but those have really dried up and the average Joe cowboy don't buy as many for roping practice so he sold most of them off and is running a lower head count of beef cattle. He is buying Hereford, Angus and Gelbvieh. He trucks them up to another ranch he leases up in central Idaho during the summer and brings them back to his ranch in the SW part of the state during the winter where he can feed them. Those Corrientes will flat get after you if you get near their calf and they are as fleet footed as a racehorse. A good set of dogs are worth their weight in gold when penning those rats....LOL

Red Bull Breeder":1x01lo5q said:
I think the Fleck cattle are fairly modern here in the states. Some folks would tell you that a Gelbvieh are just German verison of a limousin.

You might be correct except for the Alien lookin white rings around the eyes of the Limo's. They all look like ET scared their momma RBB

I have seen some red Gelbveih that had them rings around there eyes. I learned Gelbveih was German verison of Limousin form CB right here on CT. :lol:

When the feeders see the white around the eyes the first thing they think of is big feed bill and no premiums.
When the packers see the white around the eyes the first thing they think of is Select.

JS

Dam Justasemental its a wonder i ever get a calf sold. If i just had me some of them High Powered sementals and severl tons of feed i would be in great shape.But i just got weed patches and fescue grass i reckon i will just have to keep them ring eyed cows and try my best to get some one to buy them ring eye calves. :D

Simmental7 said:
What would you guys use for growth. Simmental or Gelbvieh. and im talking the modern simmentals not the "Fleckvieh" kind

We have raised Gelbvieh for many years and also have some Simmental cattle. In my limited experience it seems that the overall Gelbvieh and Simmental breeds are similar in growth. You may want to check out the most recent Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) data to see if they have done comparisons of these breeds in recent years.

In my opinion, the two breeds are similar and offer many of the same benefits to commercial producers: growth, muscle, and milk, along with a more gentle disposition than some other breeds.

Some large ranches in the US who want to maintain a 50% Angus 50% Continental cross in their herds, are using both Balancers and SimAngus. They are breeding the females sired by Balancer bulls to SimAngus, and vice versa. This allows them to maintain their desired composition of Angus and Continental, but still provides some additional hybrid vigor over just using Balancers or SimAngus.

In an earlier post, it was mentioned that some consider Gelbvieh and Limousin similar. Many Gelbvieh and Limmy's do look similar, however they are very different. The Limmy's tend to produce heavier muscling, higher yielding carcasses and may still have an edge on birth weight. However, in general Limousin females aren't as fertile as Gelbvieh, don't milk as well, and may still have a bit more attitude than the average Gelbvieh female.

That is too bad Red---weeds and fescue --good luck with that. There is no reason to recite all the known flaws associated with Limmi's as their day in the limelight (1980) has long been over,but you can still sell your calves to the lean beef culture, better known as the tye dye and sandals crowd and lauras lean beef.. so you still have a few options left-- you will be fine feeding the bunny huggers... anyway this thread is about Simms and Gelbvieh.

Fleckvieh Simms are still lagging behind their PB counterparts. Fleck cows are good mommas --hay burners, raise nice calves, but they just don't grade well.. and we are after all really in the meat business. When comparing PB Simms and Gelbvieh >>> PB Simm wins hands down on WW, YW and all carcass merits

Red Bull Breeder":25f0yuw1 said:
Dam Justasemental its a wonder i ever get a calf sold. If i just had me some of them High Powered sementals and severl tons of feed i would be in great shape.But i just got weed patches and fescue grass i reckon i will just have to keep them ring eyed cows and try my best to get some one to buy them ring eye calves. :D

UG":1q8tr9pg said:
In my opinion, the two breeds are similar and offer many of the same benefits to commercial producers: growth, muscle, and milk, along with a more gentle disposition than some other breeds.

Some large ranches in the US who want to maintain a 50% Angus 50% Continental cross in their herds, are using both Balancers and SimAngus. They are breeding the females sired by Balancer bulls to SimAngus, and vice versa. This allows them to maintain their desired composition of Angus and Continental, but still provides some additional hybrid vigor over just using Balancers or SimAngus.

In an earlier post, it was mentioned that some consider Gelbvieh and Limousin similar. Many Gelbvieh and Limmy's do look similar, however they are very different. The Limmy's tend to produce heavier muscling, higher yielding carcasses and may still have an edge on birth weight. However, in general Limousin females aren't as fertile as Gelbvieh, don't milk as well, and may still have a bit more attitude than the average Gelbvieh female.

How to the Continental (cross) cow breeds compare for longivity?

JustSimmental":3ihr0bex said:
That is too bad Red---weeds and fescue --good luck with that. There is no reason to recite all the known flaws associated with Limmi's as their day in the limelight (1980) has long been over,but you can still sell your calves to the lean beef culture, better known as the tye dye and sandals crowd and lauras lean beef.. so you still have a few options left-- you will be fine feeding the bunny huggers... anyway this thread is about Simms and Gelbvieh.

Fleckvieh Simms are still lagging behind their PB counterparts. Fleck cows are good mommas --hay burners, raise nice calves, but they just don't grade well.. and we are after all really in the meat business. When comparing PB Simms and Gelbvieh >>> PB Simm wins hands down on WW, YW and all carcass merits

Red Bull Breeder":3ihr0bex said:

Wow Justsemental you started a thread and a couple of pages later you have declared yourself the winner. I guess the rest of us better just shoot our sorry bovines and start over. :frowns:

;-) Looks like FRANKIE isn't gone after all :roll:

How to the Continental (cross) cow breeds compare for longivity?[/quote]

According to a study by Colorado State University, Gelbvieh surpass Simmental and Red Angus in stayability (aka longevity). See details at: http://www.gelbvieh.org/powerfulgenetics.html

Though, overall I have been pleased with the longevity of our Gelbvieh females, I still have some young cows that fail to breed back in our breeding season and end up going to the sale barn. There are good and poor genetics for longevity in all breeds. To put the odds on your side, it is probably best to purchase females from operations with a similar environment and forage as you have, and from an operation that has similar selection and culling decisions. Several seedstock operations in fescue country promote that there cattle are raised and thrive on fescue. However, I know for a fact that some of them are supplementing their cow herd with silage, alfalfa, etc. even during the summer months when the fescue is belly tall. My guess is that many of these cattle would fall out of other programs if they were required to exist on only fescue.

3waycross":1j90vgbu said:
Wow Justsemental you started a thread and a couple of pages later you have declared yourself the winner. I guess the rest of us better just shoot our sorry bovines and start over. :frowns:

;-) Looks like FRANKIE isn't gone after all :roll:

3way seem the punk drops in from time to time. Only takes about two minutes to remember the know it all attitude. He'll disappear again once everyone quits responding to his bs.

Latest posts