Simmental vs. Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

I can hardly wait to see these pictures and pedigrees so I have something to go by as what the perfect herd should look like.

you will never see the pictures or the pedigrees haase. edrsimms has never posted a picture or a pedigree of anything that is his. Justasimms will only post a epd of some made up animal and tell you why it can not be used to improve a simmental. Or tell you how much cheaper it is to plant millet and limit graze a few hours a day. Then he will tell you to let your hay get to mature and doctor it with some magic spray because it just so much cheaper to do it that way. The one thing you can bet on there is not a breed of cattle in the world that is as good in any way as them simmentals that ole ed has.

Here is a past post.... they are everywhere.............
I don't think the bull link worked, but just enter his Reg# in the field when the page comes up. But here are his numbers--Just an example:
CE = 13.1
BW = -2.4
WW = 34
YW = 69
MCE - 14.6
MM = 4.4
MWW = 21.3
CW = 0.5
YG = -0.09
Marb = 0.65
BF = 0.03
REA = 0.52
API = 156
TI = 85

Here is the EPD chart ranking all the EPD's and API and TI for your convenience>
https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/template/evalstats,hybrid.vm

Re: why raise your own replacements . . . .

Postby JustSimmental » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45 pm
The best reasons have already been stated because knowing what you have based on their mommas performance is worth so much more than just a heifer you bought somewhere.

I have been in the PB Simm business now for 30 years and it took me a long, long, long time to get a herd of cattle that I could be proud of because many breeders in my area were and are still breeding junk cattle. It is really sad in some cases.

As a PB breeder, I believe that it is our main job to only offer the best cattle for sale to the potential buyer, because a return customer is always better than a one-time-sale. I started out with Fleckvieh Simms and bred them up to now top 5 to 1% in the nation.

Nowadays, bull calves are sold, sometimes, the day they are born. I have some really great customers and new ones all the time, because we have always stood behind the cattle we offer for sale.
Here is an example: 3/4 simm/angus bull calf > https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/ ... B.tomcat2A -- I hope that link worked, but if not his Reg # is 2606978.

Here is a heifer calf born this year --she ranks in the top 1% of any PB Simm or percentage female nationwide. https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/ ... er=2606984
Reg # 2606984

We sell these type heifers every year, for a price. They demand it because of the time it would take a person to do what we did and breed them up to top 1%.

Raising your own heifers is the way to go....

JS

I'm sorry Eleynor if i had known you were a woman I would have been more polite when I insulted you!

Word on the street is that you have some good cattle. Not great but good. Why not enjoy that and let up on other folks here.

3waycross":1c3y6m3u said:
I'm sorry Eleynor if i had known you were a woman I would have been more polite when I insulted you!

Word on the street is that you have some good cattle. Not great but good. Why not enjoy that and let up on other folks here.
I'm wondering what kind of forage they feed. Seems to be preaching on thing and practicing another:

At EDR Simmental, we strive to produce the best possible forage, year round, in order to limit those costs associated with supplementation. Optimal forages begin with the "land" (soils) and is the first building block of the cattle business. No single step can be omitted for continued success.

I don't think I have ever been rude to people here. They joke around and I joke around --- I do like teasing Aggies-- but that is a Texas thing and has nothing to do with this. What I really dislike is PB breeders selling junk to the misinformed buyer << this is the worst thing there is.

I really think it is part of our job as PB breeders to only sell breeding stock that is above average-- who wants to pay top dollar for below average bulls or cows? I don't have any here, but many do. I guess I am against the old adage of "Buyer Beware" as it doesn't take much integrity and even less honor to cheat your neighbor. A return customer is worth a lot and "we" are not here just to have a one-time sale. We will continue to sell top 5% bulls for a fair price. This is how to best assist our commercial counterparts in their quest for profits--isn't it? I'm just not going to cheat my neighbor for a dollar..

All ya had to do was ask TB --- we don't use permanent pastures due to their poor quality compared to winter and summer annuals; winter/spring perennials and summer perennials. It's more management, but it pays in the end.

It is the overlapping of our forage bases that make it work here and not just here but as far north as VA west to TX.

We calve in the fall for many reasons, but the best reason is that we can grow better forages (nutritionally) in the fall/winter months, which coincides with peak milk production and our breeding season. For the past 4 years we have had a 36 day breeding season and this is done by optimum health and nutrition. This is a simple thing to understand.

Past breeding season cows/calves are grazing Rye and by March they are moved into pure stands of Arrowleaf Clover (limit grazed) as our calves are at the age where they are consuming forages readily and depend less and less on mothers milk and gaining rapidly. This coincides with a decrease in nutritional requirements for the cows and any that need the extra nutrition can easily get it grazing pure stands of clover.

By May, calves are weaned and cows moved to summer pastures and calves pre-conditioned , separated by sex and moved to millet fields for the remainder of Spring and Summer.

Bulls are usually gone by July to various feed programs or sold by then; private treaty.

I'm wondering what kind of forage they feed. Seems to be preaching on thing and practicing another:

At EDR Simmental, we strive to produce the best possible forage, year round, in order to limit those costs associated with supplementation. Optimal forages begin with the "land" (soils) and is the first building block of the cattle business. No single step can be omitted for continued success.
[/quote]

Yall are always wanting photos -- here is a pasture that we don't use anymore due to the fact that we can grow millet cheaper and that is nutritionally superior to this grass >>>
8282009%20018.jpg.opt676x506o0,0s676x506.jpg

and
Pics0811%20005.jpg.opt675x506o0,0s675x506.jpg

Red Bull Breeder":gh5k4kgo said:
All that nice well planted forage just for them hyped up cows.
And all those calculations and explainations about taking low quality hay, juicing it and increasing the nutritional value so dramatically yet he doesn't actually do it....just preaches it. The instant expert. I'm thinkin this kid just posts when he can steal grandma's password.