Simmental vs. Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

What the he[[ do you think his cows are.......Simmental7

Great start to a thread guaranteed to start some poop disturbin!

I think the Fleck cattle are fairly modern here in the states. Some folks would tell you that a Gelbvieh are just German verison of a limousin.

There are individuals in every breed that will outgrow/ outyield an individual from another breed. In an attempt to develop the jack of all trades breed, modern cattle have lost what was known as breed character. You need to evaluate each animal individually outside of preconceived breed character and on its own merit.

i second what massey said. and add that in our modern breeding we have lost several good traits in our cattle. one that comes to mind is longevity. and there are a few others that need to be put back into our cattle.

On my simmental I use Angus. I'm right at 50% now on Sim & SimAngus cows/heifers. After reading input on the forums I was thinking when I reach all SimAngus I would consider a Gelvieh or Limousin as a terminal Bull.
Just my experience, but I very seldom see any mothering problems with the simmentals.

fitz

3waycross":3v1byz0t said:

3way, I defer to your knowledge and experience with cattle just as expect you would to me in my chosen line of work but pray tell gave you any indication this fella runs Semmental cows? Because of his handle? Looks like I could ask the same question and my family currently has 100 head of Angus.

Thanks in advance sir.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ifeoxis said:
3waycross":2ifeoxis said:

3way, I defer to your knowledge and experience with cattle just as expect you would to me in my chosen line of work but pray tell gave you any indication this fella runs Semmental cows? Because of his handle? Looks like I could ask the same question and my family currently has 100 head of Angus.

Thanks in advance sir.
I once knew a fellow that wore a corvette jacket,,, but didnt own a corvette
:cowboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":yu7v89qi said:
3waycross":yu7v89qi said:

Thanks in advance sir.

You could ask it but in this case the username tells the tale,for the record I have yet to see anyone who comes on here and has the name of a breed in their username that doesn't raise that particular brand of cattle.
The other thing I would tell you is there have been some pretty bloody breed wars on here and I am sick of them. I don't get on here and knock other folks breeds(other than corriente who are nuthin but RATS with horns)., and when I see a question like was posed here it is, in my mind, just another attempt to start a fight, or pimp their breed.
I will say one thing tho. I don't often agree with MF 135 but in this case I do. The breeds have lost much of their original character in an effort to homoginize them into something acceptable to the American market. That is not necessarily a bad thing , just a statement of fact.

Frankly I think we should have a Forum on here called PIMP YOUR BREED. Then this kind of thread would be where it should be. Under BLATANT BREED PIMPING

As someone who is just starting out in breeding cattle, I find it very difficult to know what breeds exhibit what characteristics. It seems the traditional characteristics of breeds don't hold true as much. Or maybe, they never did. I don't know. I wish I could just get an honest answer from the breeders of different breeds as to what the best and worst qualities of their breeds are. By reading on here, you'd think that there are a number of super breeds. And maybe there are.

JeffMills517":146rqlku said:
As someone who is just starting out in breeding cattle, I find it very difficult to know what breeds exhibit what characteristics. It seems the traditional characteristics of breeds don't hold true as much. Or maybe, they never did. I don't know. I wish I could just get an honest answer from the breeders of different breeds as to what the best and worst qualities of their breeds are. By reading on here, you'd think that there are a number of super breeds. And maybe there are.
what breed in paticular do you like?? the market for about any breed is strong now...

From what I read I like Gelbvieh, but I've never owned any(to my knowledge). But them seem to have alot of the qualities I'm looking for docile, maternal, good muscling/growth, and I like the fact they are a continental breed. But alot of the research I have found on them were from the early 80's and I know alot can change in 30 yrs.

you can bet after all the dust settles with the cattle market and the low numbers... what breed you settle on is gonna matter.. people are gonna be demanding quality to go along with the price their paying for beef.... cause chicken and pork are always a option

ALACOWMAN":3s8ddvfi said:
you can bet after all the dust settles with the cattle market and the low numbers... what breed you settle on is gonna matter.. people are gonna be demanding quality to go along with the price their paying for beef.... cause chicken and pork are always a option

So's Tofu just not a good one! :lol2:

I've had my fill of tofu... there's one person in the world who can cook it and she's not around.

I think Gelbveih and Simms can for a large part be compared, but Gelbveih's are a little smaller by a frame score or three depending on which lines you look at. I have found them docile, I'll be able to say more about mothering and milk in a couple of months though. I haven't and any cows with much Simm, but our neighbor has, and I can tell you those things were fearsome mothers and would swim a river (the Fraser, not a slow river) to get their calf, and they came home from the range with heavy calves (700 lb average on 150 head)

3waycross":3dkfd7cw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3dkfd7cw said:
3waycross":3dkfd7cw said:

Thanks in advance sir.

You could ask it but in this case the username tells the tale,for the record I have yet to see anyone who comes on here and has the name of a breed in their username that doesn't raise that particular brand of cattle.
The other thing I would tell you is there have been some pretty bloody breed wars on here and I am sick of them. I don't get on here and knock other folks breeds(other than corriente who are nuthin but RATS with horns)., and when I see a question like was posed here it is, in my mind, just another attempt to start a fight, or pimp their breed.
I will say one thing tho. I don't often agree with MF 135 but in this case I do. The breeds have lost much of their original character in an effort to homoginize them into something acceptable to the American market. That is not necessarily a bad thing , just a statement of fact.

Frankly I think we should have a Forum on here called PIMP YOUR BREED. Then this kind of thread would be where it should be. Under BLATANT BREED PIMPING

You've been around this business a lot longer than I have 3way and certainly been on this board with more tenure. I didn't take the original poster in the same vein as you did so I didn't draw the same conclusions. Odds are you were right since he hasn't been back to post on this thread and he was a first time poster to begin with.

What's wrong with Corrientes? I just bought a truck load of 'em? :shock: