Sick Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
One of my weaned heifers was acting off this weekend. She weighs aprox. 600 lbs. She was laying around when the others were grazing. When she stands her ears and head droop. When the other run and buck and play she just walks slowly behind them. Her coat looks rough this weekend also. She does not appear to breath hard or labored. Does not have a runny nose, eyes are a little crusty (probably due to weeds though). She has had her OCV shots and boosters, inj. wormer. Yesterday I pulled her in the pens and gave 27cc LA200, 10 cc B complex and 15 cc Probios. I plan on hitting her again with same shots on wednesday, but is there anything betteror different I should give?

sidney411":3m5raynr said:
One of my weaned heifers was acting off this weekend. She weighs aprox. 600 lbs. She was laying around when the others were grazing. When she stands her ears and head droop. When the other run and buck and play she just walks slowly behind them. Her coat looks rough this weekend also. She does not appear to breath hard or labored. Does not have a runny nose, eyes are a little crusty (probably due to weeds though). She has had her OCV shots and boosters, inj. wormer. Yesterday I pulled her in the pens and gave 27cc LA200, 10 cc B complex and 15 cc Probios. I plan on hitting her again with same shots on wednesday, but is there anything betteror different I should give?

I would exchange Nuflour for the LA-200 in the next round. Take her temperature, will give you more info.

I used the LA200 because I had it handy on a Sunday morning when there is nothing open....I've never used Nuflor - do you have to get it from the vet?

I wouldn't giver her anything. She may be coming down with something, she may not. You are in an area where it may just be the heat. If her symptoms are just being lethargic, I'd wait to be treating her. I wouldn't use antibiotics unless I know I have a problem, an illness of some kind. JMO
Greg

sidney411":1abandq4 said:
I used the LA200 because I had it handy on a Sunday morning when there is nothing open....I've never used Nuflor - do you have to get it from the vet?

Take her temp first to see if you have a problem. If her head and ears are drooping you might have. The glass thermometers are really cheap.
The Nuflor (if you need it) is kind of pricey. Your vet would probably sell you a dose if needed.

I'll have to get another thermometer, I dropped and broke my last one. I will take her temp on wed. when I go out there again.

if she were mine i would have just kept an eye on her. probably just a combination of allergies and heat.

sidney411":35avbm9x said:
I'll have to get another thermometer, I dropped and broke my last one. I will take her temp on wed. when I go out there again.

Don't clip it on the visor of your truck! I made that mistake, forgetting how hot it gets in there, and when I went to use mine the other day, both had broke from the extreme heat.
Now I keep'em in the house. :lol:

jmo, but i would give her some antibiotics... talk to your vet about which one is preferred. something is wrong, and pneumonia this time of year is might tough on em...

nuflor is good. around here they are starting to use more and more of the a180. i have given micotil some too.

good luck and keep us posted as to how it goes..

jt

sidney411,

Head and ears down is the early signs of..."I don't feel good". Taking the temp is a good first step and usually tells us something is going on. These bronchial things seem to come from anywhere and are best to hit early. Give us a follow up on the temp wednesday and her progress.

preston39":2blj0kjl said:
sidney411,

Head and ears down is the early signs of..."I don't feel good". Taking the temp is a good first step and usually tells us something is going on. These bronchial things seem to come from anywhere and are best to hit early. Give us a follow up on the temp wednesday and her progress.
Hello Dr Presto..I dont disagree with you but....how does a guy like you ever manage to take the temp of a bovine?? I thought you had to use the SooperDooperBovineImmobilizingTorpedo to handle all of your stock?? That dont leave much room for a thermometer does it??

Good luck to you Sidney!!

Check her ears. Look inside them. I bet that might tell you alot. Nuflor is good. Your vet should sell you a dose, but you would need to give another 24 hrs later.
James

She was more active and alert but her ears are still droopyer then normal. Her temp is 103.9, she is either off feed or eating very little. I listened to her breathing very carefully - not labored at all and not at all raspy. She just doesn't seem right, I suppose I will haul her in to the vet Sat. if not better by then.

sounds like with the heat like it is her temp is fine. but her not eating an droopy ears means she dont feel good. it could be heat stress. but if not that . then i dont know . im stumpedan wonderwhat the vet will say. scott

tapeworm":75oujeov said:
preston39":75oujeov said:
sidney411,

Hello Dr Presto..I dont disagree with you but....how does a guy like you ever manage to take the temp of a bovine?? I thought you had to use the SooperDooperBovineImmobilizingTorpedo to handle all of your stock?? That dont leave much room for a thermometer does it??

tapeworm":21s6bl1g said:
preston39":21s6bl1g said:
sidney411,

=======
tapeworm,

Maybe you need to get some updating. huh! I know, new technology is always feared.

sidney411":1e2zj254 said:
She was more active and alert but her ears are still droopyer then normal. Her temp is 103.9, she is either off feed or eating very little. I listened to her breathing very carefully - not labored at all and not at all raspy. She just doesn't seem right, I suppose I will haul her in to the vet Sat. if not better by then.
==============
sidney411,
Smart move. Vets tell us that the early signs of viral attacks are sometimes followed days later with high temps.The early signs(droopyhead/ears and lethargic appearance)should be treated early.

Called the vet last night and he said to give a shot of Nuflor along with Banamine. Give the Banamine in the vein, which I've never done. So "Little Girl" and I have an appointment at the vet on Sat. morning to get a lesson on how to give a shot in a vein.