Sick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave Clarkson

Reaction score
I noticed this calf off by himself. When I got him up he was walking strange almost like he couldn't see but there is no pink eye. I got behind him and he walked to the catch pen. He seems to be holding his head up a little. I gave him antibiotics and pain killer. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 30
Using draxxin. They are all beginning to lose their winter coat. So, the extended neck is a sign of pneumonia? I'll have to remember that. He just separated himself out this afternoon. Let's hope I caught it soon enough. Thanks for the info!

First thing to always do is get a temp. I carry one of the cheap digital thermometers in my coat pocket year round. 103.8 + is a fever and needs antibiotic ASAP (usually Draxxin on hand from my vet, but it is a little slower acting than some others) and Banamine transdermal. The Banamine will reduce fever and get them feeling a little better within an hour. Draxxin KP is a combo that has Banamine in it.

First thing to always do is get a temp. I carry one of the cheap digital thermometers in my coat pocket year round. 103.8 + is a fever and needs antibiotic ASAP (usually Draxxin on hand from my vet, but it is a little slower acting than some others) and Banamine transdermal. The Banamine will reduce fever and get them feeling a little better within an hour. Draxxin KP is a combo that has Banamine in it.
Thanks!

Latest posts