Heifer calves cribbing

Help Support CattleToday:

Mike Trane

Reaction score
My 6 and 7 month old calves have chewed right through some pressed board panels that I use for the walls of a shelter.

I covered it with an old piece of OSB and they went right to work on that.

They have loose mineral, mineral block get a good quality feed daily. Grass/Alfalfa hay daily they have pasture.

Seems to be boredom.

What do I do to stop it?

Where are you located ? Do they have to be in that shelter ? Might close them out for a while . I think you are right about not needing anything in their diet just bored .

My 6 and 7 month old calves have chewed right through some pressed board panels that I use for the walls of a shelter.

They have loose mineral, mineral block get a good quality feed daily. Grass/Alfalfa hay daily they have pasture.

Seems to be boredom.

What do I do to stop it?
Screw some ribbed steel panels over the press board.

Where are you located ? Do they have to be in that shelter ? Might close them out for a while . I think you are right about not needing anything in their diet just bored .
It's actually the back of another shelter where my bull and cow are they are chewing on. I did order them a hay ball that you hang and fill full of hay and treats.

Boredom is a possibility I suppose. Are you sure they have enough VOLUME of hay? You can feed cattle a minimal amount of high quality ration that has all the nutrients, energy and protein they need, but if the volume is inadequate, they will resort to eating solid 2x4s if nothing else is available. Pressboard is easy for cattle in this state. Cattle don't have the tooth architecture to truly 'crib', and they don't eat with that hard palate and lower incisors unless they have to. They draw food in with their tongue normally. If they are getting plenty of nutrition, add some lower quality hay to the pen as 'filler' rather than your pen panels.

2 questions: Where are you? (add to your location). And, how tall/what is your pasture?

Boredom is a possibility I suppose. Are you sure they have enough VOLUME of hay? You can feed cattle a minimal amount of high quality ration that has all the nutrients, energy and protein they need, but if the volume is inadequate, they will resort to eating solid 2x4s if nothing else is available. Pressboard is easy for cattle in this state. Cattle don't have the tooth architecture to truly 'crib', and they don't eat with that hard palate and lower incisors unless they have to. They draw food in with their tongue normally. If they are getting plenty of nutrition, add some lower quality hay to the pen as 'filler' rather than your pen panels.

2 questions: Where are you? (add to your location). And, how tall/what is your pasture?
I was feeding them four flakes daily and they were picking through and throwing the stems on the ground. Southeast Colorado. Not much pasture left Blue grahama

I think it is a volume issue other two have access to much more pasture. Thanks

I was feeding them four flakes daily and they were picking through and throwing the stems on the ground. Southeast Colorado. Not much pasture left Blue grahama
Yea. 'Only' 4 flakes. To stop the 'cribbing' (or to convince the calves they are not related to termites ;)) Get some lower quality hay and feed it 'free choice', or as much as they want.

Seems to be boredom.

What do I do to stop it?
paint it with creosote

Seems to be boredom.

What do I do to stop it?
Are these bottle calves?
Im gonna think that there is a compound in the glue of the board that they are trying to get. I still feel its a lack of some mineral. Maybe something particular to your area. They think its in the board.

I think it is a volume issue other two have access to much more pasture. Thanks

Are these bottle calves?
Im gonna think that there is a compound in the glue of the board that they are trying to get. I still feel its a lack of some mineral. Maybe something particular to your area. They think its in the board.
Highly unlikely after a compound in the glue due to lack of a mineral. Based on the implied observation that "other two have access to much more pasture" (and aren't cribbing?) If there was a lack of mineral, these 2 would very likely be doing the same, ant it seems they are not.

In support of a lack of forage volume, access to more pasture gives access to more forage volume, which in turn keeps the calves from trying to fill their gut with about anything (panels) they can find.

paint it with creosote

There is a spray product for dogs to keep them from chewing. Might try that.
Either of these methods stand to stop the eating of the panels, but the eating of the panels is a symptom of something (lack of gut fill I think is the cause). Stopping the 'consumption' of the panels isn't a cure for the less than full rumen or boredom or other causative issue. But, treating the symptom only in this case might be all that is needed, rather than the cause, as a less than full rumen or boredom aren't necessarily highly detrimental as long as the feed the calf is getting has the needed/required nutrients. Conversely, a full rumen with forage that is inadequate in nutrient content can, and I have seen it, actually starve an animal......yes, with a full stomach/rumen.