Snotty nosed calves

Help Support CattleToday:

This fall we were dry, dusty and had big temperature swings. Everyone had trouble until it rained and the two swings moderated. The usual treatment and protocols wasn't working. Heard of many different treatment protocols used. We give Covexin 8 and Triangle 10 at 4 days after weaning. We had a few sick calves on cows during this time. Heard of mature cows and bred heifers that got sick. Many had relapses on those they doctored. We had some trouble. We followed the protocol of one of our vets in the past. It worked well. I won't disclose it as some like too criticize what some vets give. It didn't seem to matter what weaning protocol was used. Many vets changed their treatments. For treatment we used both Nuflor & Bananine and Draxxin. If doctoring cattle we will have where we have a chute and pens for retreat we use Nuflor and Bananine. If we are turning them out with no facilities to retreat we use Draxxin as it stays in their system longer.
I would appreciate the story in a private message

Our retired vet is a beef producer and he buys minerals from my nephew. He was visiting the other day and we got talking about vet SERVICE. We have a large vet clinic - handles small and large animals (no facilities at clinic - another story some day). They generally have maybe 6-7 large animal vets and a couple small animal vets.
Cornell Univ is a vet school and they usually get their vets graduating from Cornell. He said newly graduating vets only want to work 4 (FOUR) day work weeks - NO WEEKENDS and NO emergency calls after hours.!!!! And this is across the board - no others available.
What is this world coming to? A graduating vet "should" have a huge debt to pay off.

Latest posts