Snotty nosed calves

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I have some 400 to 600 pound calves that have a snotty nose. What should I treat the with? I have some Banamine and some Nuflor on hand. would either of these work?

If they only have snot noses first thing in the morning not a big deal. The ones with thin clear snot are a good candidate for checking temp. My vet recommendation was hit anything over 103.8* with antibiotic (Draxxin, nuflor, etc.) and Banamine transdermal. Droopy ear, I still like to temp them. A lot of them not running a fever clear up in a day without treatment especially if they are not off feed. I carry a cheap drugstore digital thermometer in my pocket all winter and through calving.

If you haven't already, I would give all your calves a nasal respiratory vaccine such as Inforce 3. I would check the temperatures on all of them while I had them in the chute, and only treat those with a high temperature. This should help to prevent most respiratory viruses from going through the entire herd.

We were having some issues with light weight calves a number of years ago, and that advice from our Vet seemed to stop the problem almost immediately. We had been treating a few calves a day, and after administering the nasal vaccine, we only had to treat one or two more and those occurred within the next few days. We had not been giving any vaccines until weaning, but now we vaccinate everything at about 3-4 months with at least an 8 way Clostridial vaccine plus a nasal vaccine and a BVD vaccine for respiratory issues. We follow the rules regarding boosters for the products chosen. The nasal vaccines are modified live and don't require a booster.

If you haven't already, I would give all your calves a nasal respiratory vaccine such as Inforce 3. I would check the temperatures on all of them while I had them in the chute, and only treat those with a high temperature. This should help to prevent most respiratory viruses from going through the entire herd.

We were having some issues with light weight calves a number of years ago, and that advice from our Vet seemed to stop the problem almost immediately. We had been treating a few calves a day, and after administering the nasal vaccine, we only had to treat one or two more and those occurred within the next few days. We had not been giving any vaccines until weaning, but now we vaccinate everything at about 3-4 months with at least an 8 way Clostridial vaccine plus a nasal vaccine and a BVD vaccine for respiratory issues. We follow the rules regarding boosters for the products chosen. The nasal vaccines are modified live and don't require a booster.
Good point Katpau. We had this a couple of years ago with having to treat one or two a day for about a werk and had vet out. He had us give all of them a 5-way booster (Bovishield Gold) and any with a fever also got treated. Shut the problems down 24 hours later.

If they only have snot noses first thing in the morning not a big deal. The ones with thin clear snot are a good candidate for checking temp. My vet recommendation was hit anything over 103.8* with antibiotic (Draxxin, nuflor, etc.) and Banamine transdermal. Droopy ear, I still like to temp them. A lot of them not running a fever clear up in a day without treatment especially if they are not off feed. I carry a cheap drugstore digital thermometer in my pocket all winter and through calving.
OK, then maybe I don't have to do anything. I noticed it in the morning when I'm feeding them grain. I have not seen any with clear thin snot at least not yet. I guess I will keep an eye out for them.

Yes I already gave them a nasal respiratory vaccine. I vaccinate at branding and I also pre-wean vaccinate.

It seems like after they have been weaned for a month and the weather turns cold the pneumonia and ear infections become very rare. P. Mannheimia cases reduce, but if you have mycoplasma that crap can hit about any time.

It seems like after they have been weaned for a month and the weather turns cold the pneumonia and ear infections become very rare. P. Mannheimia cases reduce, but if you have mycoplasma that crap can hit about any time.
Mine have been wean for about six weeks, and I don't know about the mycoplasma.

I use Inforce 3 and Presponse for everything I buy as soon as unloaded and everything born here at about 3 months.Sure has reduced the follow up shots.

To my knowledge the intranasal vaccines have a much shorter duration of coverage and most of the lots I know use both Inforce and a modified live injectable such as One Shot on arrival. Most use Draxxin at the same time.
We have been using One Shot, Vision 8S and Draxxin on everything we buy and our own weaned calves. Last year was a 1% death loss, so far this year is 0 but tomorrow is another day.

To my knowledge the intranasal vaccines have a much shorter duration of coverage and most of the lots I know use both Inforce and a modified live injectable such as One Shot on arrival. Most use Draxxin at the same time.
We have been using One Shot, Vision 8S and Draxxin on everything we buy and our own weaned calves. Last year was a 1% death loss, so far this year is 0 but tomorrow is another day.
I haven't become convinced on using Draxxin on arrival. I just cant grasp giving it as a prevention but it may work. You sure handle lots more cattle than me so i sure cant argue. Plus in the US it must be by prescription of a veterinarian. Most im betting wont prescribe it like that.

I haven't become convinced on using Draxxin on arrival. I just cant grasp giving it as a prevention but it may work. You sure handle lots more cattle than me so i sure cant argue. Plus in the US it must be by prescription of a veterinarian. Most im betting wont prescribe it like that.
Prescription here too Kenny, vet must be on your property at least once per year and be familiar with your operation to write prescriptions. Only thing our vet won't let me have is Ketamine as it is a restricted drug.

Prescription here too Kenny, vet must be on your property at least once per year and be familiar with your operation to write prescriptions. Only thing our vet won't let me have is Ketamine as it is a restricted drug.
Every antibiotic i think is restricted here now.
So will your vet prescribe it for mass use off label?

Kenny, The vet won't come out. Very few will in this area. He is just a "consultant"now. He had a practice here for years. He has a lab mix his own generic drugs but also sells name brands. He doesn't have a clinic any more, just offers info and sells drugs out of a office for a yearly consulting fee. It seem s kind of shady but it works for me as well as many others. He does a good business with some large operations.

The Tulathromycin plus a anti-inflammatory is $200 per 100 ML. The dose is 1.1 ml per hundred pounds so about $10 per 400 lb calf. It is similar to Draxxin KP
I also use Inforce 3 & a 7 way on the bought calves.

This fall we were dry, dusty and had big temperature swings. Everyone had trouble until it rained and the two swings moderated. The usual treatment and protocols wasn't working. Heard of many different treatment protocols used. We give Covexin 8 and Triangle 10 at 4 days after weaning. We had a few sick calves on cows during this time. Heard of mature cows and bred heifers that got sick. Many had relapses on those they doctored. We had some trouble. We followed the protocol of one of our vets in the past. It worked well. I won't disclose it as some like too criticize what some vets give. It didn't seem to matter what weaning protocol was used. Many vets changed their treatments. For treatment we used both Nuflor & Bananine and Draxxin. If doctoring cattle we will have where we have a chute and pens for retreat we use Nuflor and Bananine. If we are turning them out with no facilities to retreat we use Draxxin as it stays in their system longer.

I use a Draxxin generic on all incoming calves. The vet is fine with treating all sale barn calves because he does his the same way.
It is a generic made at a lab with anti-inflammatory in it, so no Bannamine needed. It works well.
Using the real thing as it has gotten lots cheaper. We pay $1500 for a 500 cc bottle as compared to $2200 a few short years ago.

Latest posts