Vaccinations for newly purchased cows and calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Bought some real thin cows with young calves, and a bred cow last night at stockyards.
Planning on running them through the chute today.
One cow is particularly concerning, doesn't seem to be doing well. Not slobbering but seems slow and listless, she finally ate a little hay. Her calf seems kind of weak and droopy too, but is up and moving around it has a thin whitish manure,

They are all calved so Bovi Gold FP5 VL5, Vision 8S, pour, and Draxxin to keep them alive until vaccines kick in. You may even want Inforce. Calves should have One Shot instead of Gold. You may even want to drench with Am-rol or Corrid.

gcreek, would you booster these 30-45 days later, since you don't know their history?

gcreek, would you booster these 30-45 days later, since you don't know their history?
One likely should but after two weeks they would be mixed in larger groups and into our regular protocol. No time to sort them back and booster. If they aren't sick or dead after two weeks they will likely be ok.

They are all calved so Bovi Gold FP5 VL5, Vision 8S, pour, and Draxxin to keep them alive until vaccines kick in. You may even want Inforce. Calves should have One Shot instead of Gold. You may even want to drench with Am-rol or Corrid.
Basically what gcreek said. Bred cows get a killed virus instead of the Bovi Shield. And I am prone to giving them a MultiMin 90.

She better today?
We treated 2 of the last bunch we got today with Draxxin. Expensive but cheaper than dead cows.
Not sure yet, but hope so. Last night after working them. She laid down and I wasn't sure she'd make it through the night. This morning she was standing up and had drank some water and eat a little hay.

Every time I've seen the cow today she's been up. She's eaten some hay. We have some square bales of fall grass hay that I'm giving them. The other cows are eating and cleaning up their hay. I've been giving them grain which I'm not sure they all eating that or not I think some are just picking around in the feed.
The sick cow hasn't touched her feed in the trough, I put a pan on the gate with just little feed in it she stuck her head down in the pan but didn't eat and went back to slowly eating hay.

Every time I've seen the cow today she's been up. She's eaten some hay. We have some square bales of fall grass hay that I'm giving them. The other cows are eating and cleaning up their hay. I've been giving them grain which I'm not sure they all eating that or not I think some are just picking around in the feed.
The sick cow hasn't touched her feed in the trough, I put a pan on the gate with just little feed in it she stuck her head down in the pan but didn't eat and went back to slowly eating hay.
Likely doesn't know what it is.