Spooked heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Feeding my 11 yearling heifers this morning when one turned and ran to the woods . She bucked , ran with her tail over her head and acted like something spooked her . The rest kept calmly eating. I followed her thinking she might kill over and die on the spot , but she was fine . Wasn't sure if she got something in the feed or if she bit her tongue 👅? Being teenagers , maybe one of the other girls made fun of her hair ?? 🤔

Key word is 'heifer'. Some don't calm down easy. Once they're cows with a calf to care for, will probably get with the routine. Just be glad the whole bunch didn't follow suit, which happens often. IF, she continues to do it, I would consider that a cull factor because that sort of behavior can be contagious. Seen it happen several times.

Are snakes active in your neck of the woods already? Horseflies or bees? It don't take much to spook some.

Key word is 'heifer'. Some don't calm down easy. Once they're cows with a calf to care for, will probably get with the routine. Just be glad the whole bunch didn't follow suit, which happens often. IF, she continues to do it, I would consider that a cull factor because that sort of behavior can be contagious. Seen it happen several times.

Are snakes active in your neck of the woods already? Horseflies or bees? It don't take much to spook some.
No snakes , but warm enough for a wasp or bee to be out early . Didn't see anything and she is normally ok . Have a couple on the watch list for goofy but she's not one of them .

May be nothing, or could be coming in heat, horsefly etc.
given time of year it could be a grub moving around about ready to come out. The old timers here referred to them as wooves or wolves not sure of spelling. I've always heard that those wooves (grubs) would start coming out in the spring and cause them to run with their tails over their backs. I've seen some act like that too.
I looked it up and found this.

Last edited:
Feed has crushed limestone in it , I've seen some pretty good sized stones/rocks . Most break up pretty easy , I thought maybe she bit down on one and hit a sore tooth ?? No bot flys , no lice , ticks , etc . She was back eating with her sisters today .

Latest posts