Sick Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

hitting the vain isnt going tobe no fun at all. you have to find them. get them to where they wont roll or collapes on you. all the while putting the needle in the vain. may everytime you try you hit it right off. scott

Update: The vet said she has pneumonia. Ya'll were right - I didn't realize that you wouldn't HEAR the crackling sounds when you listened to them breathe. He gave her Nuflor, Banamine, and an intra-nasal IBR - even though she has already had her shots he said the IBR will illicit an immune response and help her body kick the infection. He send me home with a shot of Nuflor and showed me how to give a shot in the vein so I will try another shot of Banamine also on Monday (tonight) Thanks all for the help!

That is interesting. We have a cow that is acting like that now. My husband thought it was either she ate something or has pneumonia. That vet said she ate soem hardware and treated her for that, but she doesn't seem to be any better. I'm wandering if she may have pneumonia.

Was this cow dehydrated?

I am an EMT on the side. I have found that by using a stethoscope and listening to their lungs you can tell if they have pneumonia or not. I now have one in the barn just for that purpose. They are only about $15 dollars but well worth it IMO.

Yeah - the vet placed it right then handed it over for me to listen. I could hardly hear anything, Doc said you souldn't hear a healthy non-stressed cow breathing at all.

The heifer was not dehydrated.

She was also not very happy with me learning on her to give a vein shot :lol:

sidney411":s0ckljdc said:
Yeah - the vet placed it right then handed it over for me to listen. I could hardly hear anything, Doc said you souldn't hear a healthy non-stressed cow breathing at all.

The heifer was not dehydrated.

you keep on and we gonna have to start calling you vet sidney.. :lol:

jt

sidney411":qylwn22h said:

Just a little advise...when learning to give a jugular shot, it is much eaiser to pratice on healthy cattle. Much eaiser to find and less likely to collapse. Feeders or fat steers are good guinea pigs! ;-)

certherfbeef":1t8a2ltm said:
sidney411":1t8a2ltm said:

Just a little advise...when learning to give a jugular shot, it is much eaiser to pratice on healthy cattle. Much eaiser to find and less likely to collapse. Feeders or fat steers are good guinea pigs! ;-)

cert... which is easiest or best?? in the jugular or under the tail?

jt

jt":1bnlvz14 said:
cert... which is easiest or best?? in the jugular or under the tail?

jt

Depends on your setup I think and which you are more comfortable with. I use the jugular. I tie their heads back then I can use 2 hands. With the tail, I'm not coordinated enough to hold the tail up and run the syringe all the while the cow is swinging back and forth.

I learned to hit the jugular on the dairy treating milk fever. Guess I'm stuck in my ways.

sidney411":8odd64oq said:
Update: The vet said she has pneumonia. Ya'll were right - I didn't realize that you wouldn't HEAR the crackling sounds when you listened to them breathe. He gave her Nuflor, Banamine, and an intra-nasal IBR - even though she has already had her shots he said the IBR will illicit an immune response and help her body kick the infection. He send me home with a shot of Nuflor and showed me how to give a shot in the vein so I will try another shot of Banamine also on Monday (tonight) Thanks all for the help!
=========
sidney411,

When you are able to hear the crackling sound from the breathing...it is usually to late. Immediate response to the ...EARLY SIGNS....is a must to have a chance. The herdsman Bama came through again with an excellent idea......gonna get a stethoscope.

Good luck with her.

Nope I don't get paid as an EMT. I work at a large manufacturing plant as a maintenance guy. The company was offering free college to anyone that wanted to go. About 15 years ago I took advantage of that. I had already taken everthing I could in the electrical field from the local college here, so I decided to take a course in emergency medical technology. This is a short course. I thought it was time to give something back. At work I am on a emergency response team. Off the job I respond with a local rescue squad. I just volunteer my services and don't worry about the pay. The pay for a EMT is not that great anyway. You would be surprised to know what most of the guys or girls make. No, I don't take the place of someone that would get paid. I don't want to take up space for anyones job. I am also into High Angle rescue, confined space rescue, hazardous material handling and others. It just ain't many of those around here so I volunteer my time. I have to take an additional 72 hours each year to maintain my license on a national level.

Sidney I have used ever type of antibiotic on the market and the most impressive and fastest acting I have ever used is A180. Beats the heck out of Nuflor anyday and I use dto think Nuflor was great, not so with my experience. I wouldn't give a plug nickle for Micotil ever again.
just my two cents.
Good luck with her I am sure she'll be fine.
bif

Sidney, If there is a next time, try Baytril. I've had it work when Nuflor was not showing any signs of attacking pnuemonia.Our Vet has told me several times, there are some strains with resistances.

Crowderfarms":xlh7pp6q said:
Sidney, If there is a next time, try Baytril. I've had it work when Nuflor was not showing any signs of attacking pnuemonia.Our Vet has told me several times, there are some strains with resistances.

:shock: gol durn Crowder you been racking up the posts ain't ya?
must be a new cattle today record, a guru in 5 months. !!!

I use baytril at times, it's ok...

bif

No Crowder P'm still with ol Betty Blowup that is when I'm not on the tractor 80 - 90 hours a week. :roll:

Interesting that your vet gave the inter-nasal IBR/BVD booster. We've been using that method to boost their own immune system for years. If we find a show calf is showing any sign of droopy-ness (word???) than we give it a dose of Nasalmune or TRV2. Works very well, and NO SHOTS which is super. If they are far enough along that they need antibiotics, we give then w/ the nasal dose.
There used to be a feedlot guy that told us that trick on one of these boards - long time ago.

Latest posts