Prolapsed Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes! He was pacing literally 85% and went into sinus rhythm on the table. Took about 6 weeks to level out and hasn't been in a-fib or flutter in 3 years.
I had two ablations done and still had odd rhythms after. The doc said no more and pretty much abandoned me. But I found a way to manually stop the heart racing (tachycardia) when that happened, and as that calmed down the afib also disappeared. I haven't had any problems for quite a while. I was supposed to have rhythm checks done once a year but as said... abandoned. But I went to my personal doc yesterday and he suggested I get a halter monitor put on for 24 hours, so I'm wearing one now. We'll see what it says.

Mr TC's Cardiologist suggested cardioversion for his a-fib years ago. Problem is, you have to schedule in advance in Wichita, which is an hour away, and have to be IN a-fib at the time. I promptly volunteered to zap him a few times with the hot shot, cuz I could do that on a moment's notice, essentially anytime, anywhere. My generous suggestion was declined. Da hell? It could have been a win-win!
Da hell alright!! What up with that???? Here you are trying to save his life and he trusts you less then the nurses with the big paddles zapping him??? Unbe - fricking - leavable. They can dish it out but not receive it. LOL Oh it's all in good fun. As long as Mr TC is doing good now.

I had two ablations done and still had odd rhythms after. The doc said no more and pretty much abandoned me. But I found a way to manually stop the heart racing (tachycardia) when that happened, and as that calmed down the afib also disappeared. I haven't had any problems for quite a while. I was supposed to have rhythm checks done once a year but as said... abandoned. But I went to my personal doc yesterday and he suggested I get a halter monitor put on for 24 hours, so I'm wearing one now. We'll see what it says.
Yikes! What kind of anti-arrhythmic are you on? Sotalol? Good luck with the halter - it's a PITA.

Yikes! What kind of anti-arrhythmic are you on? Sotalol? Good luck with the halter - it's a PITA.
No meds at all. They suggested I take a daily children's aspirin and I did for a while but I no longer do that.

As said, I've learned to control any issues using physical techniques and they are so rare and getting more rare that I hardly think about it.

No meds at all. They suggested I take a daily children's aspirin and I did for a while but I no longer do that.

As said, I've learned to control any issues using physical techniques and they are so rare and getting more rare that I hardly think about it.
Do it! Low dose generic aspirin, 81 mg. Costs a couple bucks and worth it.

I know. But pick your battles - stomach or heart. I'm going with heart and taking a swig of apple cider vinegar for the stomach (or gummies).
Well I'll see what the halter monitor test says.

It's kind of like going to a mechanic to get your oil changed. The more they touch your truck the more they find that needs "maintenance", and in the end the more that gets replaced/repaired the quicker your truck wears out.

I like being free of meds. Sooner or later I won't be able to avoid it... but the time is not now.

Why hasn't she been sewn up? She would have been off to market or hanging from the loader here.

In my experience the people who Claim to Love animals are the ones who will literally Love them to Death, I have seen several people who Claim to Love animals starve them to death, because they have so many they can't afford to feed them.
Or to uncomfortable existence, which is worse....

Why hasn't she been sewn up? She would have been off to market or hanging from the loader here.
Honestly I don't know or really understand it. She has to be uncomfortable. I agree with you, she would be burger or off to the sale if it were me. Or at least humanely put down if they couldn't take up the nerve to eat her.

Nobody could have loved a cow more than I loved my Cricket. I watched her being born, and she was my milk cow for 13 years, the nicest cow I've ever known, but when she prolapsed, it was over. I cleaned it up and pushed it back in the first time and a handy neighbor came over and stitched her up, but it only held for a month. I was going to retire her and just love her for however long she was with me, but when the stitches popped and she prolapsed again, I could see no HUMANE way forward with her. The stitching procedure was traumatic for her, and I knew eventually we'd run out of fresh skin. I even consulted with the vet, such as she is, and she said there was nothing she could do that hadn't already been done and suggested putting her down, so my wonderful neighbor loaded her up and took her to the butcher for me. We donated her meat because there was no way I could eat her. I have no problem eating our steers, but I could never eat my beloved Cricket. Yup, I'm a wimp when it comes to that, but I couldn't make her suffer. My love for her wouldn't let me let her suffer. I still get teary when I think about her. I wish her last heifer calf had lived, but she was stillborn and already stiff, which I suspect might have contributed to the prolapse problem, I dunno, I could be wrong. Maybe it was just her age, and the fact that she had some Hereford in her.

This was Cricket's prolapse, when I first saw it, and it was fatal.

12-03-21 Cricket prolapse 1.jpg

12-03-21 Cricket prolapse 2.jpg

Those people need to put that cow down, or have her stitched in a permanent way, immediately. I can't understand why they're letting it drag on like this if they profess to love her so much.

Yes, it sucks when a cow has to die because of a simple muscle malfunction, or a horse because of a flipping belly-ache, but it happens, more often that we like.

Nobody could have loved a cow more than I loved my Cricket. I watched her being born, and she was my milk cow for 13 years, the nicest cow I've ever known, but when she prolapsed, it was over. I cleaned it up and pushed it back in the first time and a handy neighbor came over and stitched her up, but it only held for a month. I was going to retire her and just love her for however long she was with me, but when the stitches popped and she prolapsed again, I could see no HUMANE way forward with her. The stitching procedure was traumatic for her, and I knew eventually we'd run out of fresh skin. I even consulted with the vet, such as she is, and she said there was nothing she could do that hadn't already been done and suggested putting her down, so my wonderful neighbor loaded her up and took her to the butcher for me. We donated her meat because there was no way I could eat her. I have no problem eating our steers, but I could never eat my beloved Cricket. Yup, I'm a wimp when it comes to that, but I couldn't make her suffer. My love for her wouldn't let me let her suffer. I still get teary when I think about her. I wish her last heifer calf had lived, but she was stillborn and already stiff, which I suspect might have contributed to the prolapse problem, I dunno, I could be wrong. Maybe it was just her age, and the fact that she had some Hereford in her.

This was Cricket's prolapse, when I first saw it, and it was fatal.

View attachment 23070

View attachment 23071

Those people need to put that cow down, or have her stitched in a permanent way, immediately. I can't understand why they're letting it drag on like this if they profess to love her so much.

Yes, it sucks when a cow has to die because of a simple muscle malfunction, or a horse because of a flipping belly-ache, but it happens, more often that we like.
You loved her so much that you couldn't see her in pain. Now that is how to truly treat an animal you love with respect! And yes it does stink when they die from simple things. Just how life is. So sorry for your loss 😞

Latest posts