Prolapsed Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been practicing for a few years, and never heard of those button/pin thingies until I saw one on this site. Even now, I can't imagine ever having a use for one. Some things are best left in the past.
We've never used one because we haven't had any pre-birth prolapses, but I do like the idea of those buttons. Better then putting the stitches into the vulva and having to watch that cow like a hawk for going into labor. With the pin/button she can go on having her calf even, from what I understand.
As for this particular cow in this thread, if they've tried everything and nothing worked....... why not try the buttons. I don't think there is anything to loose.

Sorry for this "negative post" but people with spoiled 1500 lb pets like this are not taking the animals health into true consideration. They are not being even remotely practical and people like this are not going to listen to anyone else. She belongs in the freezer in hamburger patties.

Sorry for this "negative post" but people with spoiled 1500 lb pets like this are not taking the animals health into true consideration. They are not being even remotely practical and people like this are not going to listen to anyone else. She belongs in the freezer in hamburger patties.
She's a pet. No different in the owner's eyes than a dog or a horse. I have a neighbor with an Akita that has some kind of wheel chair harness device because its back legs don't work ( I'm guessing hip dysplasia) a "normal" person would have put the dog down, but apparently this dog is important to them and they can justify the expense.
Some people just look at things differently than most.

She's a pet. No different in the owner's eyes than a dog or a horse. I have a neighbor with an Akita that has some kind of wheel chair harness device because its back legs don't work ( I'm guessing hip dysplasia) a "normal" person would have put the dog down, but apparently this dog is important to them and they can justify the expense.
Some people just look at things differently than most.
I've known people that are in hock up to their eyeballs and will gladly pay thousands to extend the life of a dog that is in agony for a couple of months.
I don't get it. I love my dogs, but reality is that they are replaceable. I take good care of them, give them their shots myself, and they average about 14 years if they don't get hit by a car. But if they have to go to the vet it is usually to ease their way on the long walk. We no longer have a dog and I miss them. But travel at my age is a good reason to avoid pets.

Phoebe 1.JPG

Honestly Jan, I could not agree with you more! They are not doing her any favors... it is honestly sad. But as a bystander that decision is out of my control.

Being a teaching university they may have some views against them but I would think that the long term use of the pin going through the vaginal wall, pelvic canal and muscles then exposed to the outside would be a consideration however if used for an extended period may produce some scarring and adhesions that may help.
Are they just putting in big sutures to temporary hold the lips together as in dealing with uterine or vaginal prolapse in a breeding animal or are they cutting the skin to get the lips to heal together as in a Caslicks operation in a mare?

Ken
No the skin has been cut and the lips have totally healed together, like a Caslicks operation. But still... She prolapses and prolapses bad.

I never put in any prolapse buttons, but if I did, I'd be looking at it as merely a salvage operation, to get that cow to parturition - or cleaned up/fattened enough to go to slaughter.
IDK if they'd be a 'long-term solution' for this morbidly obese 'pet' cow with a prolapse .

Can't imagine using those Callicrate bands on anything other than a full uterine prolapse that you couldn't get back in... even then, I'd be putting on more than one, just to make sure I got the uterine arteries corralled. Would think if you put one on a cervical prolapse, that you'd be leaving a devitalized uterus in the abdomen to induce peritonitis.

I saw a 3/4 Bison-1/4 Brahman heifer (WTH!) for a client once... she had a soccerball-sized vaginal prolapse - through a vulvar opening that I could barely have stuck my pinky finger through before she pushed that thing out. She almost killed me as I trie to catch & sedate her, and I.could.not.get.it.back.in. Period. That band might have been just the ticket... but nobody I knew had one of those back in 1989.
Mix a hot August afternoon, a crazy-@$$ BisonXBrahman cow, Rompun, and a rodeo... she heat-stroked out. I shoulda walked away the first time they tried to run her up in the alleyway to their little Co-Op headgate, she bailed and made us aware that she wasn't going in there again.

Last edited:
Dad knew a guy that gave his Basset Hound a steak everyday; dad told him he was killing his dog. He was upset with dad pointing that out. The dog was fat as a pig, and I think he said a month or two later the dog died. The guy thought he was doing the dog a favor by giving him a steak every day.

People that don't know what they are doing are their own worst enemy, but they think they are being good to the animal by over feeding. Most of the time people like this have their minds made up and no amount of facts is going to change their minds.

Oh duh 🤦! She keeps prolapsing because she is straining. I had a vet tell me once that she used to permanently spinal block feed lot hfrs that were chronic prolapsers. She said she used rubbing alcohol. They can't ever raise their tail again, and if done in the wrong place she'll never use her back legs again, but she won't strain anymore. Once she quits straining then the stitches or pins will hold.

Dad knew a guy that gave his Basset Hound a steak everyday; dad told him he was killing his dog. He was upset with dad pointing that out. The dog was fat as a pig, and I think he said a month or two later the dog died. The guy thought he was doing the dog a favor by giving him a steak every day.

People that don't know what they are doing are their own worst enemy, but they think they are being good to the animal by over feeding. Most of the time people like this have their minds made up and no amount of facts is going to change their minds.
Yes you are right about the mind being made up. It is a difficult situation because I wish I could speak my mind but I guarantee it would do no benefit and they will continue to give her grain because she "likes it..." ugh.

If you haven't already, tell them they are hurting her. THEY are creating her problem. Treat her with a handful of nice grass or hay. Obesity is harmful to all species.
I think I will tell them to maybe try the approach of no grain. I can put it nicely and I think it will work well to put in in the words of "maybe try giving no grain and see if she improves."

Oh duh 🤦! She keeps prolapsing because she is straining. I had a vet tell me once that she used to permanently spinal block feed lot hfrs that were chronic prolapsers. She said she used rubbing alcohol. They can't ever raise their tail again, and if done in the wrong place she'll never use her back legs again, but she won't strain anymore. Once she quits straining then the stitches or pins will hold.
Wow that is intersting! I wonder at this point how that would work since shes been prolapsing for quite some time now...

I think I will tell them to maybe try the approach of no grain. I can put it nicely and I think it will work well to put in in the words of "maybe try giving no grain and see if she improves."
I don't think that will work. Try it maybe I don't know these people afterall. But if it doesn't honestly you need to be firm and explain why grain bad here and what it is probably doing and why it needs to stop. Sorry tbh I can't stand it when people overfeed pets its not a nice or good thing to do and I don't understand how they don't see that.

It wouldn't matter if she was given no supplementery feed, a heifer once they reach 2 years of age will fatten very easy on grass alone and if they haven't been bred by 3 yrs of age obesity becomes a problem. They need the lactation to burn the calories. Women are no different, they have to be much more conscious of what they eat than us males. It is the way of nature, laying down the fat in preparation for the ensuing pregnancy and lactation.

Ken

It wouldn't matter if she was given no supplementery feed, a heifer once they reach 2 years of age will fatten very easy on grass alone and if they haven't been bred by 3 yrs of age obesity becomes a problem. They need the lactation to burn the calories. Women are no different, they have to be much more conscious of what they eat than us males. It is the way of nature, laying down the fat in preparation for the ensuing pregnancy and lactation.

Ken
Valid point - for cattle. And yet, I've never been bred;)😄

Latest posts