Heifer mauling new born calves ? Injured new born

Help Support CattleToday:

Can't give her away it's a POSS Deadwood calf she should be worth some money. I doubt I will sell her now. She runs to me every time I check on her like I am her 3rd mom. I will just use this as a perfect opportunity to teach my young children (twins 6 years olds) to raise a calf and after school responsibilities.
I get making it a learning experience but she has no value as a cow. She needs to be culled also. We make cows from good cows in this world no matter the pedigree.

I have another possible theory. I recently had a boss cow that I culled because she was beating, charging, and chasing my cows and heifers. The crazy cow that rejected the newborn calf was her biggest target. I wonder if she just didn't learn the charging behavior from the cow that use to charge her ?

Last edited:
I have another possible theory. I recently had a boss cow that I culled because she was beating, charging, and chasing my cows and heifers. The crazy cow that rejected the newborn calf was her biggest target. I wonder if she just didn't learn the charging behavior from the cow that use to charge her ?
I would say you are thinking too much.

<< I wished I had a bottle of Oxy back when I used to share milk this cow.

She can hold up or turn milk off like a faucet because she knew the calf was on next. Oxytocin is also known as the love hormone. After love making it causes people to snuggle. Maybe an Oxy shot would would also make the cow see her calf in a different light
it can help!
I've hand milked quite a few cows, some let down the milk easily and others not a chance without the calf there... One of my best ones was just leaking milk all the time, She was really good to milk, just toss her a flake of hay and put the bucket under her
Calf never knew what hunger was

FH... I bought a cane of Gardens Wave, years back, when he was 'new'... knew that docility could potentially be an issue, as he had 2 shots of EXT close up, and his sire, Highmark, was noted for siring hot disposition. He didn't have a DOC epd yet... but it originally came out at -23... after I'd already inseminated a group of cows to him... I was concerned, to say the least. But, the steers were no worse than any other Angus-sired calves, and they were leaving anyway. Got 3 heifers, and only one ever showed anything that would make you raise an eyebrow... she was mostly just a bit flighty in the pen... the other two were deadhead, sweetheart cows. Wished I'd used that bull more for what he brought to the table. (Ribeye, Marbling, Tenderness, high +$EN)
Lucky P I have a Wave son and have been keeping most of his daughters. His calves are really vigorous and can run like wildlife an hour after birth and they are alert. The Wave cattle are kind of hard to look at until they get to be a year old and even then pretty unimpressive. None of them are mean, but they can be a little higher speed to work. They take care of their calves and milk pretty well. They are raising as good of calves as any of our fancier looking cows and I don't think they eat near as much. It is an interesting journey seeing which cows get to keep their job each year.

Latest posts